My first ProCar experience

I began volunteering with the Commack Volunteer Ambulance Corps. There was a time, when it was everything to me, and I invested almost all of my spare time to it. For those familiar with volunteer EMS, often it becomes too much of your life. That said, I'm glad to not be there anymore as I found myself missing out on things that had meant ALOT to me, before I began volunteering.

Given, the experience did introduce me to "16" a 1967 S&S Hess and Eisenhardt built Ambulance. Sadly, my community is predominantly yuppies, who couldn't care less about the car. It was in the back of the Corps parking lot when I began my service, and over my first two years I'm the department I invested alot of my time to bringing the car back to life. I was thrilled that after several roadside breakdowns, a few flatbed rides and many hours the car got to a point where it became reliable. I frequented many local shows with it, and the neighborhood loved seeing it come out for parades. Unlike many surrounding departments (who had fully restored antique fire trucks) 16 was far from perfect, which is what made it such a great car. It was original, just as it were when it came out of service. It became a regular event for a few of us to take the car to the drive through for lunch, to a weeknight cruise in or just for a spin around town because we could.

Over the years, the window decals dried out and peeled away. From the remains, the shadows on the windows, and literature I was able to create a vector image and have it printed in vinyl. The colors weren't dead on, but I was happy that the car had a name on it again.

16 is about the only part of volunteering there that I REALLY miss. After a small budget crisis, the board of directors considered selling the car off. I wish I'd had the chance to buy it .

67F74F27-F4F6-4061-A173-FAEC1654FD60-4142-0000018C92FD9B74.jpg

3A1E09F6-B3B2-4DE1-9F9D-9C76F6F97A63-4142-0000019981E5A42F.jpg

3DF65EA6-0D4C-4692-9399-4B35969461AD-4142-00000199818A117C.jpg

Last edited:
Good for you, Mike for recognizing the value of your squad's rare classic! Those S&S's were the top of the line and there were fewer of them built than comparable M-M and Superior cars. Any idea if it's still around?

Mike you are in a select group,Darren,Richard, Jeremy and associates who post a picture of a cutie with your post,and that car is a beauty.:smileflagcan:

Mike, thank you for sharing your story and thank you for sharing the pictures with us too! Great story, nice car and beautiful girl, it doesn;t get any better than that, does it? Now you need to find a similar ambulance for yourself, if that is your desire. It would be really special to find this ambulance.

You can't beat the looks of an S & S ambulance. That is a beautiful car, and it is great that you still have a picture of it. Hopefully some day you will be reunited with that car.

The car is still up there at the Corps. Last I'd seen, it had been relegated back to the back of the parking lot. I'd heard some members had mustered up the word to try and see the car restored. I'd like to think that muster came from having seen 16 as a running driving car. But, I'm almost not in favor of a restoration. Like anything else, it would likely fall to the "care" of a body man not familiar with a crafted automobile, vastly unlike those built on assembly lines today. The restoration would fail and the vehicle would suffer for it. The car is a true survivor and it should be protected as if it were the last real treasure from its day.

For those curious, Vikki is no longer around! Haha

Here is a picture of 16 when it was new. Originally purchased by a neighboring fire department it wore "Rescue Red"
40CF5B67-1E11-4390-A3CA-5E2813DDF5F3-4142-000001DC81313045.jpg

The car is still up there at the Corps. Last I'd seen, it had been relegated back to the back of the parking lot. I'd heard some members had mustered up the word to try and see the car restored. I'd like to think that muster came from having seen 16 as a running driving car. But, I'm almost not in favor of a restoration. Like anything else, it would likely fall to the "care" of a body man not familiar with a crafted automobile, vastly unlike those built on assembly lines today. The restoration would fail and the vehicle would suffer for it. The car is a true survivor and it should be protected as if it were the last real treasure from its day.

For those curious, Vikki is no longer around! Haha

Here is a picture of 16 when it was new. Originally purchased by a neighboring fire department it wore "Rescue Red"
40CF5B67-1E11-4390-A3CA-5E2813DDF5F3-4142-000001DC81313045.jpg

Sorry to hear about Vikki!

To your point about restoration, if I may. A good restoration shop will research, fabricate and bring a car as close to how it was originally, as possible. The problem is finding a truly good shop. Then there is the cost involved. In my opinion, there are two main reasons that restorations fail; 1 You pick a bad restoration shop that either does not have the proper talent, equipment, or resources, therefore the car gets pushed outside and rusts to death. 2 The customer runs out of money, or desire to keep spending it. With proper funding and a qualified restoration shop, the ambulance can definately be returned to it's former glory.

A Professional Car and a boat have a lot in common.. A boat is a hole in the water that you pour money into, and you can never fill up. The same can be said for a Professional Car, since once you start the restoration, you never know what will be uncovered that will need to be repaired or replaced. You just have to realize that under normal monetary constraints, you can not bring everything back to original perfect condition and that some compromises must be made, unless you have unlimited deep pockets. The intelligent method is to restore that which has to be done immediately, and leave that which can be done at a later date, without harming the entire project as you go forward. As an example, if the engine is burning oil, you can pull the engine at some time in the future and repair it. If the steering or braking systems are in need of repair, then those must be repaired prior to putting the car on the road for safety sake. Same for other major systems that can wait, such as the air conditioning / heating, transmission, differential, power windows, upholstery, flooring, etc. I believe that most restorations fail because the shop or the owner take on too many different segments of the vehicle, and never finish any of them before the owner looses interest because of the costs involved. This is why it is important as an owner or restorer, to segment the individual components that you want to do, and contract out those which you can't do yourself, and to concentrate on doing those that are safety related. Those segments that you can do yourself, will save you a lot of labor expense. In some instances, the owner hasn't the ability to do any segments of the restoration, and then it is even more important that they do the research themselves as to what they want a contractor to do, and give that guidance to the contractor in advance of starting the project. All too often a car is handed over to a shop, and the only thing that the owner says is "I want it restored." What the shop has in mind might not be what the owner has in mind, however, the two are never discussed in detail, and that is where the financial problems start. It is easy to spend someone else's money because they have no idea as to how much the owner has in mind of spending. Both have to have a clear and concise idea where the project is going to be finalized, and at what cost.

for me the key is all to brake up the tasks in smaller tasks. never look at the car as a whole till your done buffing it. when you do a task do it all. it takes longer but in the long run you save time buy not taking it apart 3 or 4 time to accomplish different things. you may start one spot finish that and with what you learned there do the other side differently. but understand what you want. if your goal is to spend wads of money you can do that. if your goal is to spend as little as possible but still have a drivable car. you can do that. doing it in stages you don't get to drive a finished car for a time but your not out a car either. it's judging your ability, divided by the time you have, times your true ambition, then squared by the resources available. that determines what way you need to go. but if your picking a shop remember they are like people. some like a challenge but lack experience. some are only interested in skimming off the cream of life and some have the experience are aware but not afraid of the challenge and the desire to bring back these cars. one will rebuild your car but you may have trouble or not get as close to factory as you want. one will run you out a quick clean up and paint. the last will do it as economically as possible letting you decide how to spend you money. but when you go in like Paule said make what you want clear and understood. then if you don't feel right after talking to the man. don't do it. some will under bid and try to cut courners or move the price up after work is started so will over bid hoping you take it elsewere. you want the shop inbetween.

Back