1971 Oldsmobile Ambulance--Upcoming Auction

I'll take this description from the auction listing as a very nice compliment for the PCS: "Professional vehicles have a strong club and organizational following."

The ambulance looks like an ex-military ambulance that's been glammed up a bit - ok, a lot - but it probably in good shape. It'd be nice to take that one back to a more original appearance. :wowguy:

Those whitewalls have GOT to go!

This girl has been sold (or at least advertised for sale) a couple of times over the last few years. While the cab roof spotlight and lack of tunnel lights say "military," the interior does not.

While not very popular on hightops, the C/B "torpedo" lights have been seen on a few. An example is another '71 Cotington 48, this one from the Memphis F.D.:

(SL collection)

Attachments

• Memphis FD 71 CB 48.jpg
    Memphis FD 71 CB 48.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 960
This car sure seems to get around on the auction circuit. I took photos of it 10 years ago at the McCormick classic car auction in Palm Springs, CA. Aside from the CP 25 siren speaker no longer being on the roof, it looks like the same car.

Terry

Attachments

• 71 Olds001.jpg
    71 Olds001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,128
looking at the inside pictures shower all the panels appear to be stamped. if it was military it would have been green inside I can't tell but it looks like the rear facing set is next to the cabinet. the 72 I had had a cross wise facing seat. bad 3 tone paint in my mind and if your looking to get the money out of it why not detail the engine compartment. but be nice to watch it sell

I think it looks real sharp! Looks in nice shape too! It will be very interesting to watch it sell. And, then I can feel badly that I didn't buy it.

Auction cars seem to show up over and over again. At the MECUM auction I noticed several cars that had been sold up on the block again.

Stunning car though and got to love those gangster whites!

squad bench stretcher

Ferno-washington built those strechers to be mounted on the passenger side of a van or modular rig.primary use was to be as a squad bench,and double as a cot for a second patient.:blahblah:that strecher is stationary,and is incorrect for that rig!!!!!!!

Last edited:
?

It has a 1971 Manitoba plate on the front. Does anyone recognize it and be able to provide any working history?

Tim, I think that front plate most likely was something that was put on just for the auction. Being a Manitoba resident all of my life until recently, I have never seen this car in service in Manitoba.

71 olds brings back a lot of memories

Some of you will remember my 71 olds military ambulance,which i brought to a couple of pcs meets,blue and white,with OD green interior.only 8 k on her when i bought her.i lost interest in this car,and put it on the internet.first contact was a gentleman from helsinki,finland.he purchased the car from me and had it shipped to finland.his total shipping cost was about 9,000.00 WOW!!!!!:puking:

Hmmm, maybe if it was at another auction house I could pass it off saying Audie Murphy or Duane Allman took their last ambulance ride in it...

I watched the auction on silverauctions website today. Mitch Silver talked this car up alot, said he owned it for a while and really enjoyed it. Anyway, the sale price was $11,500, not too bad!

Back