On The Road Again!

LeeAnn Cunningham

PCS Member
In a few minutes Danny and I will be heading out of Nashville TN for our first destination, Grand Portage, Minnesota. If anyone is in our path (get out of the way, ha) or not far off our path, let us know and maybe we can get together. Our first stop to visit with PCS people (if all goes well) will be with Dennis and Peggy Goethe somewhere around St Louis.

It will be a long 19 or so hour drive to Grand Portage, around 15 miles from the Canadian Border. From there, it's off to Rochester, NY to pick up a bus (which I'll be driving back). It's a short bus. Then, swing through Pittsburg to pick up another car, and then on home! Wish us luck, and hope that we don't have too many tire issues. I predict there we be at least one, maybe two!

Here we goooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Attachments

• Minnesota 1.jpg
    Minnesota 1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,137
  • minnesota 2.jpg
    minnesota 2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,145
Well about 50 miles back truck cut out a few times. According to mileage should still be enough gas to go 50 miles. It cut out again, Danny slowed down...then we had a blow out....he gets out and checks the tire, it just lost some tread....gets ready to take off, truck cuts out and dies....won't start. Unloaded the hearse, found a gas station, don't have a big enough gas can...now we are on the hunt for a gas can...tire issue 1 down, 1 to go. Hope it's just out of gas.....and we are only 275 miles from my house.

Well, it wasn't just out of gas. Not sure what's wrong. They won't be able to work on it until Monday.

Attachments

• image-120861884.jpg
    image-120861884.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,074
good thing the spair tire runs. you get tired of that truck bracking down just leave it in minasota and I'll take it off your hands.

I am in Owatonna, Mn, which is on I35 in southern Minnesota. If you come this way I would be happy to buh you both a meal if I am around! I will pm you my cell phone number.
Kurt

My money says its a bad fuel pump. Those Chevys are notorious for that. As for the tires, replace any that is suspect and fer cryin out loud, check the air pressure in ALL of them. As a side note, what is the load capacity and gross vehicle weight (GVW) of Danny's transporter? It looks too light to be transporting pro-cars.

Dang Rick, I checked them all but that one. Hehehe! Been hauling pro cars on this truck for 4 years with no problems till recently. Actually never had tire problem until this set which I put on last year. Also have pulled 22ft trailer with pro car on it and truck many times. The old 6.5 diesel has 169k and has not been that much trouble. It was said engine replaced at 100k just before we got it but I doubt that. Engine wont start at all at the moment but has fuel in it. To keep our trip going and get LeeAnn back for her job on time we too off this morning in the 91 MM caddy side loader we were delivering. Went about 600 miles today in it with no issues but with 38k, oh now has 39k it should be good. Stopped for the night in Eau Claire, WI and about 175 miles from dropping off hearse. Now fun part, how to get from Mn to rochester NY? Oh have to rent a car for that and drive 1200 miles to next stop to pick up LeeAnn's wheel chair bus and if that goes ok to Pittsburgh to get a 2002 saturn and back through Nashville, IL to pick up the truck if repaired and back to LeeAnn's home. Another day another adventure.

Prior to the breakdown our next stop was dinner with Dennis and Peggy Goethe. I called and told them of our delimma and told them I would update them in 30 minutes. Called and let them know the wrecker driver hadn't shown up yet and if they could kill some time for 30 more minutes we should know something. Dennis said that was fine they could always find something to do. Well about 5 minutes later they pulled up. They had already driven an hour to meet us for dinner, then 30 more minutes to where we were stranded. They hung out with us in the parking lot of the car repair shop over an hour, then we all went to dinner. These trips wouldn't be near as fun if we couldn't visit with PCS friends along the way!! Picture to follow, couldn't post using my iPad...

do like the Piner boys did when they delivered one. drop in anywere buy a older car, drive it back home. then sell it when you get back.

Just had a great lunch and visit with Tony Karsnia in East Bethel, MN. Thanks, Tony! Tony drive the 91 to his place and we drove Pink Champaign, which was quite an honor. On our way to Duluth to drop off the hearse, got about 110 miles to go!

Attachments

• image-4102662001.jpg
    image-4102662001.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 253
  • image-3908565766.jpg
    image-3908565766.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 249
  • image-1551312813.jpg
    image-1551312813.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 251
  • image-3431518558.jpg
    image-3431518558.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 257
  • image-2657829745.jpg
    image-2657829745.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 262
Tony took a picture of me taking pictures of the pies, captioning it '1300 miles for some good pie'. I've never seen that many varieties of pie in one place. Probably 20 - 25 different kinds!

Attachments

• image-3320951963.jpg
    image-3320951963.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 251
  • image-2327185431.jpg
    image-2327185431.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 252
  • image-2093485669.jpg
    image-2093485669.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 248
  • image-3044606308.jpg
    image-3044606308.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 249
Thanks for stopping by!

Sure was fun having Danny and LeeAnn here for a visit! I'm surprised we actually had time to play cars, though; didn't think we were going to get LeeAnn away from the Village Inn and all those PIES. The Village Inn is a familiar eating place to several people who have visited us here in the Northland, including Steve and Gene Lichtman, Larri Dirks, Mike Robison, Dennis Goethe, Ed Renstrom, Brian Schuff, John Royark and Christie Anderson, Paul Saether, and others. Heck, we even closed the place down one night when Rob Shepard came to visit.

Thankfully, Danny and LeeAnn had enough time to take a nice cruise into the country to the Karsnia Coach Ranch, where we threw together a qucik three-person (and one dog) and five cars meet. Not bad for the middle of a business day!

Danny and LeeAnn are in the midst of a very long trip, so I'm glad they took time to stop and visit. I also appreciated having the opportunity to take the '91 3-way for a cruise. Three-ways were very popular in this part of the country; I grew up with them being in front-line service and have many fond memories.

Admit it LeeAnn

This isn't a job,nor is it a car cruise,its a gourmet tour,some great looking meals and those pies,can taste them all the way up here,

up here we believe that life is short eat your pie first. leeAnn you don't know how special you are Tony won't even let me sit in the pink one.

Back