Ohio meet @ Mansfield Reformatory!

YES it is finally set in stone, the PCS Ohio Chapter is hosting a hearse/ambulance show at the famed MANSFIELD REFORMATORY! The Mansfield Reformatory has been used for the filming of many feature films, music videos, and T.V. shows over the years... the most famous being "The Shawshank Redemption". Those of you who followed our visit in 2011 can now plan to attend a much bigger day of fun.

The event will be on June 9th, 2013. The gates open to the public at 11am and we have been asked to arrive around 9am for early access to stage our procars. We've been granted the entire left side lane & grass for our meet.

I've been in negotiations with the Mansfield Reformatory Preservation Society (MRPS) and as this continues i'll post updates. So far I can share we've been granted a great space for our cars and we will have our own personal guide and tour seperate from the standard guest tours. The MRPS has been a pleasure to work with and are VERY excited about this!

Again, we'll update you with further developments as they happen. For now anyone that can attend please clear your calendars for Sunday, June 9th for a day of enjoyment on the grounds of one of America's most amazing prisons.

Please post here or PM me if you are going to attend. Questions and comments welcome also.

IMG_0730.jpg

A view of the east cellblock to give you an idea of the scale of this place:
untitled291of379_HDR_zpsa9ac1aae.jpg

This is the warden's quarters, cellblocks extend off in 4 different directions:
2067775628_8581652221_b.jpg

It's an amazing place to visit! You won't regret coming out, especially if you saw Shawshank Redemption.

Attachments

• DSC_0134.jpg
    DSC_0134.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,130
  • DSC_0029.jpg
    DSC_0029.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 2,106
It sends chills down my spine just looking at it and thinking of all the future criminals being trained there.

June Ohio Chapter tour

Dwayne,
I plan on being there. Thanks for all the work. If there is more and I can help, just ask.
Got my calendar marked.
Mike

Dwayne

Thanks for all you did to make this happen.

I have it marked in my calendar.

I hope I will be able to make it myself.

Wooohoooo,
Darren

We will be there and did ya hear that Sara? We got our June meet.

Ron I talked to Sarah many times and she suggested the June date. This year I decided to drop the spring cookout and take this event on instead. It'll be much better weather and more to see & do.

The MRPS offers many guided tours of different areas of the Reformatory. My favorite is the "tower tour" where you get to go out on the roofs and see the guntowers & walkways.

Also remember, this prison was saved from destruction and while repairs have been made and are ongoing... this is NOT a dolled-up jailhouse it's a huge prison that was neglected for years. It's dark, peeling paint everywhere, and some cells still have old mattresses on the bunks. In the library there are still some books that remain on the floor.

The east cellblock is the world's largest free-standing steel structure ever built. It's 6 teirs tall and has hundreds of 6' x 6' x 6' cells. Prisoners nowdays complain of crowded conditions... imagine what it was like live in a 6 foot square cell (with a cellmate no less) 23 hours a day, staring at a brick wall that seems to go on forever. You'll get to see all of this and walk the cells and staircases, it's something you'll always remember.

See? Already left MY mark in the warden's quarters!

2761301544_c3f42fc28d_z.jpg

(Just kidding... this is from a famous scene in Shawshank!!!)

Wow if I was a member and had my hearse driveable this would be the perfect location. Athens would be another goodie.

so join and go with or with out your car. me i just get to kind of drool some as these get to gathers are a little far for me to get to.

Wow if I was a member and had my hearse driveable this would be the perfect location. Athens would be another goodie.

You don't have to have a procar or be a PCS member to attend. Events like this are what helps us grow. Just have an interest in the procars and meet fellow enthusiasts! You'll have a great time

My girlfriend and I are down for this event, just out of curiosity since I know pro car events tend to be small how many cars do you think will be there?

I'm also thinking of making the trip down with my Eureka is there any Motel info ??

Mike, i'll work on motel information this weekend and post it to this thread. Thank you for bringing this up! There are many motels available in Mansfield and surrounding areas.

On a side note, here is the link for the website for the Mansfield reformatory so you all can look around:

http://www.mrps.org/

Motel information

Here is a selection of motels in mansfield and surrounding areas. I did a "priceline" search to gather the widest range of what's available. Everything listed spans from a few exits away to about a 1/2 hour drive from the Reformatory.

Click the link:
http://www.priceline.com/hotel/sear...3031416253158d020290141&key=hea4qrl8&showDP=y

PM me if you want other recommendations. Upper Sandusky Ohio has a couple nice motels also, located right on U.S. 23 @ the Rt.30 interchange

You can still come without a pro car........but bring pics of your car because we will want to see it.

My girlfriend and I are down for this event, just out of curiosity since I know pro car events tend to be small how many cars do you think will be there?

Ohio is unpredictable, we hold the record for the most pro cars at an international meet and the record for the lowest amount at a chapter meet (2)

is there anything planned for saturday or is this just a Sunday thing ?

are we the only cars there ?

I'm planning on arriving Saturday

Ohio is unpredictable, we hold the record for the most pro cars at an international meet and the record for the lowest amount at a chapter meet (2)

Ron, and the Upstate Chapter thought that it was the soul owner of that record (2 at a chapter meet) but we can't think of a nicer chapter to share it with.

Back