72 Olds C/B Brake Parts Advice Needed

My recently-purchased 1972 Olds 98-C/B ambulance needs some brake work performed on it to be roadworthy- front calipers (stuck), pads, rotors and soft hoses and rear wheel cylinders and linings for starters. I have two rear drums that came with the vehicle, and two more that I purchased on Ebay for a 72 Olds 98.

In reading these forums (which are an excellent source of information), it is clear that many differences exist between some standard Cadillac mechanical parts (master cylinders, for example) and CC-specific parts. Is this also the case with Olds CC parts? I am concerned that my mechanic may source incorrect (and possibly unsafe) parts without realizing it. I have told him that I would look into this before we proceed with repairs. It may be better to repair (sleeve) or rebuild the existing components, although we have no idea if they are OEM parts or aftermarket replacements, given four previous owners of this vehicle.

Any information that can be provided to assure the correct completion of these repairs is highly appreciated- thank you.

The calipers are standard items, however, the original pads were riveted. Don't know about the rotors, but they probably can be cleaned if it is just surface rust, and they are not scored. Only thing that you can do is to take one off, and order a replacement to see if it is the same. Rear shoes were also riveted, and I believe that the drums are standard items. It is very difficult to know, because to the best of my knowledge, GM never produced a "commercial chassis" parts book for Oldsmobile or Pontiac, even though we know that many of the parts are not the same as their siblings. Only way to know about the master is to take it off and examine it to see if it has any Delco markings. Many times they will have a logo or casting number on them.

I have had good luck with ordering the heavy duty 72 98 parts. rear brakes are standard Bendix stock and front pads also. about all CB did on the incomplete 98 chassis is cut the frame rails off weld in there own set to stretch it. add a cross member with carrier bearing and make a stub drive line. then build there body on it. so far I have not found anything different on them then any other 98.

here are what the rear brakes look like off my Seville and what I replaced them with standard stock from the local parts house. now tell me Paul why did I keep the old brakes and seals???

Attachments

• IMG_3768.jpg
    IMG_3768.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 169
You saved them so you could take a picture to show someone that was looking to expand their knowledge base. Also, probably for the same reason that I have carted this around from shop to shop since 1962. As I told you today, I am going to be divesting myself of all that I don't feel that I need moving forward. It isn't fair to leave this mess for Sandy to clean up after I am gone. Not certain of exactly what I am going to keep and what I will get rid of first, but there is no question that we spend most of our lives accumulating and in the end, someone else has to deal with it. Just like that fellow in Nebraska with all the unsold Chevrolets.

Attachments

• MVC-021L.JPG
    MVC-021L.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 171
you are right there. now that just the thing that some one needs in there retro gas station. glad you saved it for them.

I have a NOS brake drum, GM part # 9794455 that was originally bought, but never used for either a '74 CB Olds or Superior Pontiac. I did some research on that part number a couple of years back, and it was listed as a heavy duty drum for taxi and police use, so it may be that a commercial vehicle drum for these cars may have been different than the passenger car variety. Unfortunately, I can't find the notes that I made from that search back then, but an on-line search today shows it as also being used for a '65 Pontiac taxi or police, so this part may have been used on commercial vehicles for many years.

The May '69 GM Pontiac parts catalog I have lists that drum as fitting all 69 full size Pontiacs. No footnote being heavy duty only.

Back