Six door insurance?

I have a local possible acquisition on a '96 Fleetwood six-door just out of service in Sun City.

I'm wondering about insuring it. I'm with Geico and their "Classic" division responded with a Hummm on my question.

I know some "classic" co's require inside storage so I'm out with the typical Arizona carport.

How do you who have Six doors have them insured?

Thanks for the replies.

You specifically mentioned Geico. Don't waste your time or your breath with them. I used to have Geico (notice the past tense) insuring my six door and my hearses. Then one year at renewal time, I got a notice that they were dropping me, despite no tickets, no claims, etc. Of course I called and asked why. I was told "we don't insure custom cars". I said you have been insuring me for X-number of years already, and they're stock cars anyway. I was just told, "They didn't leave GM that way and we're not insuring them anymore".

So I called Allstate. Allstate not only said "no problem", but they were less expensive as well. I still have my daily drivers with Allstate, including my current six-door, and only switched my other cars over to Hagerty when they reached antique status.

I have progressive for my coaches. it has to be in the commercial class, but you can set your own stated value. I have had a few major claims with them and they fixed my car no questions asked.
I called Allstate once, they wanted more for 6 months than I pay for the whole year with Progressive. I even had my 49 S&S covered with Progressive for many years until I switched that to Hagerty to save more cash.
Go to the search tab, type in Insurance and with a little searching you can find more threads on this subject, it comes up often.

I too would suggest a simple search.
You would be surprised what you might find.

I have been with Hagerty for longer than I can remember. I had my '73 Superior insured with them and I still have my '73 Ford insured with them. They not only insure classic and antique, they also insure "collectible auto" which would include limited production autos like your 6 door limousine. They insured my father's '83 Buick hearse.

Do some looking. Check out what everyone has to offer.

David, I dealt with this same issue last year when I was trying to insure my '59 Comet Olds here in Mesa. I spent days on the internet doing research, and contacted all of the classic car insurers, some well known and others that I had never heard of. Bottom line is that none of them, and I mean NONE will insure a vehicle that is not stored inside. I was keeping my vehicle in a secure RV pad next to my house with a 6 foot block wall and a locked RV gate, but that did not meet the criteria for any of these insurers.

I also contacted most of the other large insurance companies who now claim to offer special policies for classic cars (everyone is trying to grab a piece of this market), and while some of them weren't concerned about how the vehicle is stored, none of them offered "agreed value" policies. Basically, once you suffer a loss, it is up to you to prove what the car is worth, and up to them to dispute your figure.

I finally ended up insuring with a State Farm agency. Their head office did some research, and finally went with my suggested value on the car, since they could not find anything to compare it to. If you need more info, PM me and I will give you the agent's name and #.

I use Safeco and store the Lifeliner outside in a Sam's Club tent. They've never asked where I store it and for $150 a year, works for me.

insurance with

My 61 M-M has been insured by Hagerty's for many years. I made phone calls. I did internet searches. I sent for brochures from every major company or antique car insurer. Some wanted to put me in a custom car (as in George Barris) class. When I told them what I had they decided that they did not have enough info about my 'type' of car. I asked more than one representative if they had ever been to a funeral. Some actually asked me to describe a hearse.
I called Hagerty's. Told the guy I wanted to get insurance on my hearse. He asked if I had a landau or a combo. Then wanted to know if my coach was a Miller-Meteor, Superior, or an S&S. From there it was easy to get stated value insurance. They knew what I had and had no problem getting me a price. I am very satisfied with them. Their policy also inclueded rollback wrecker assistance if needed. No hooks or tire carriers. They also include coverage on my spare parts.
Mike

My 61 M-M has been insured by Hagerty's for many years. I made phone calls. I did internet searches. I sent for brochures from every major company or antique car insurer. Some wanted to put me in a custom car (as in George Barris) class. When I told them what I had they decided that they did not have enough info about my 'type' of car. I asked more than one representative if they had ever been to a funeral. Some actually asked me to describe a hearse.
I called Hagerty's. Told the guy I wanted to get insurance on my hearse. He asked if I had a landau or a combo. Then wanted to know if my coach was a Miller-Meteor, Superior, or an S&S. From there it was easy to get stated value insurance. They knew what I had and had no problem getting me a price. I am very satisfied with them. Their policy also inclueded rollback wrecker assistance if needed. No hooks or tire carriers. They also include coverage on my spare parts.
Mike

I am very familiar with Hagerty Insurance. I have had my '72 Malibu convertible insured with them for many years. Even though I am a long time customer, they would not insure my Comet Olds unless it was stored inside. No ifs and no buts. Once I obtain secure, indoor storage, they will be happy to add the Comet to my existing policy.

Mike

More to add on the Hagerty. Besides the flatbed towing (first 125 miles is covered), lockout, jump, and fuel dilevery (first $100 is covered), and I can use it for ANY car I own, not just the cars on the policy. Also, no driving restrictions like some collector insurance, I can drive mine daily if I want (except winter), even to the store or work, as long as i dont go over the yearly mileage limit, which I get to set.

This question got me thinking. I have 3 H&E 6 door cars so I called my broker and they checked with the insurance carrier and the underwriter. They found no policy language differentiating between a "Limousine", a "Six Door" or "Six Door Limousine". I would suggest to check with your broker and have them check with the your insurance carrier. I am with JC Taylor as a broker.

Back