Two Questions

1. Anyone have a recommendation for speedometer head rebuild and dash console restoration vendor?

2. Found a second operating speedo cable up under dash of my 1968 Cadillac M-M ambulance. I am thinking there was a tachograph at some point in the past. Any other reason this second cable is present?

Or Cruse control. But if you have a second one there were does it end or start depending on your definition. Normal for the Cruse was for the cable to came up from the transmission to the Cruse control head the to the speedometer. If they by pased some add on system it would be ok but if some of it is still hooked up that may be your troubles. As for venders there is a list you can axess from the home page or fourm tab.

There are two separate speedometer cables coming up from transmission. One goes to the standard Cadillac speedometer in the dash. The second is hanging down from dash in the middle over the hump. It comes through the firewall through a nice grommetted hole and it's tied up with some baling wire. There is no cruise control on the car. There is some kind of gear box attached to transmission where there would usually only be one cable. From there, one cable to dash, and other one hanging. When the car is moving, you can see the end of the internal shaft turning.

I just thought this was kind of interesting and a tachograph was the only thing I could think of for the second speedometer cable. I don't know if I have enough membership rights to post a photo. Maybe I will on the PCS site.

instrament service roscoe iLL

1. Anyone have a recommendation for speedometer head rebuild and dash console restoration vendor?

2. Found a second operating speedo cable up under dash of my 1968 Cadillac M-M ambulance. I am thinking there was a tachograph at some point in the past. Any other reason this second cable is present?

i have used them several times, they are one of the best,
Greg

We are all forgetting we used to lube speedo cables regularly Very thin grease if I remember right (Luberplate??) I guess todays 20-50 oil would work. Thoughts ED?

Lubriplate white lube is ok on the lower 2/3 of the cable, but never any type of oil. If the lubricant migrates up to the speedometer head, it will damage it.

Speedometer restoration I recommend Bob's Speedometer in Howell Michigan,
https://www.bobsspeedometer.com/1/120/index.asp

I have had work done by them since 1969. Bruce, the owner is second generation. I am well acquainted with them on both a personal and professional basis.

If you call you will probably speak to Bruce, Diane, his wife, Denny, his B-I-L or Jeff. Please let them know that I referred you, and no, I do not get a referral.....;) I just like to keep my contacts as since I am no longer in car dealerships.

Back