info on Van type Ambulance

before I put an ad in the "wanted section" I thought I would ask the experts.....I was thinking that I might be interested in a early van type Ambulance I'm not looking for a high top but more of a reg size van type with a reg roof ? maybe 1970's or 1980's I saw an old St. Johns Ambulance at a car show one day and thought that that might be a good start to get into ambulances

what type or what do u call that type of van style ????

and where should I look to track one down

any help would be great

thanks Mike
:smileflagcan:

Mike in Ontario, first we had econolines,then we went to dodge vans they were all bought by the province of Ontario and then distributed,later when they went for higher tops they had to source out,thus crestline and demers,old Ontario companies were goldline conversions is the one I knew,without getting to political the province constantly changed what they wanted,and until crestline and demers said here is what we build take it or leave it many companies like goldline never survived,were to get one? St Johns bought many old ambulances because of their restricted budgets,also look at race tracks(cars and horses)drag strips,many of them had their own medics,to do first aid till regular ambulance arrived,so many of the old vans were bought by handymen because of the open rear and cupboards,they are out there, they may be disguised,hope this helps..take care

at 1:25 you have one, I filmed it in 2000 I think now Len Langlois owns it..?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdDwaE2_Cik[/ame]

Thanks Martin' love that video,and yes that econoline is at Lens museum,also has hi-top dodge van from Windsor plus many other trasures.

Welcome!

I can add also the policecanada.ca website as a reference for pictures, the City of Montreal run the free ambulance service between 1959 and something like 1984. they used some Dodge tradesman vans and Chevy also, converted by Demers Ambulances.

Wayne,

If you have a look at the pictures on my facebook page, there is an album called NB ambulance History (or something like that). There are pictures of some of the van ambulances I used to work with and some pictures of some of the ambulances from the neighbouring services.

Looking back, I wish that I would have done like Steve and took more pictures.

Van ambulances in Ontario

Before the MOH took over there were all kinds of homebuilts.. This one from Fisherville Ont. was available a few years back near Ottawa . I checked with the service there now and no one wanted to take it on... not sure if its still there. If it didnt sell the owner was going to pull the drivetrain and engine.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h159/burntbob1/1968 Chev ambulance/

The 71 Ford was bought by someone at my service to save it from the crusher but I dont know if he's done anything with it so far.

There was a mid 70's ford MOH lowtop van conversion on kijiji a little while back that a St Johns had used but someone in central ontario but its not listed anymore.. you just have to be patient and keep your eyes open!

well any of you guys see or hear anything...let me know I'm not looking to spend a lot of $$ its more of a project for me as long as its not too far gone

thanks

Back