Speaking of Road Trips!

Danbury is at the extreme edge of Connecticut, at the top end of Interstate 684, where it intersects with Interstate 84 about 10 miles East of the New York / Connecticut border.

Heading out shortly for my journey. Hope to make first stop today in Cinn. ohio to drop off Loren Baldwin's 67 he purchased from me. Then figure couple days to boston to pick up the 41 buick limo. Hope to see some PCS friends along the way. Will post pictures.

Well first day ended earlier than planned. Just south of knoxville had inside tire blow on the rear dual. Lucky I was near an exit and made it couple miles off the interstate and found some ems guys and they said good place they use to get tires about five miles away but not open on sunday so limped over there thinking any minute would have to unload the 67 and drive it but no idea how far that would last as it not been driven much last three years and tires are rotten on it for sure. Got to hotel next door to tire shop so see what we can do in the morning and go from there. I ate and checked in at hotel and was unloading my stuff and it came a sudden storm with lots of rain so just as well I had to stop I guess. Have always had fear of tire problems on truck but up to now all was good. Tires are in good shape as we keep good tires on it but you never know. Now if it had been a hearse or limo or anything other than car hauler I would have changed it and went on, just ask Jeremy and LeeAnn how many tires we changed one summer between Muster's and Jeremy's house. Truck has a spare but up under bed of truck and many times I looked at it and could not figure out how they would get it out. May have built bed around tire? Oh well, just another road trip experience. Couldn't find anyone near by in the roster to visit with so just here hanging out.

I swear if I could find some decent bias ply tires I would go for them. the radials handle better and ride softer, but to me they like driving on ice all the time. you never know when they are going to let go. you were only carrying 6000 lb there

I swear id I could find some decent bias ply tires I would go for them. the radials handle better and ride softer, but to me they like driving on ice all the time. you never know when they are going to let go. you were only carrign 6000 lb there

The tires were only couple year old too so I know age didn't hurt them. Believe a belt broke as it started bumping just before it came apart.

when I drove truck I always drove on retread bias ply and never had a problem when I switched over to radials I had blow outs all the time

GOt spare put on this morning, they didn't sell tires for my type truck so running right now with no spare. I was shocked at how nice these guys were though. It was raining off and on and they had to work on truck outside being would not fit in building bays. Anyway, took guy while to get spare from under truck where it had been since before we got it then we fought some yellow jackets that were bothering us but we got it done. I tried to help being I appreciated they were doing this for me and couldn't sell me a tire so got done and I gave guy $10 tip for being so nice and went up from ready to pay what ever for there help and owner said that will be $10. I told him worth alot more than that for about an hour work and he said mechanic told him I gave him tip and he was fine with $10. Couldn't believe it. I am going to send them a thank you card for sure. So about 11am off I went toward cinn. ohio and bout berea, ky I needed fuel and lunch so got off exit and decided to visit Lonnie Reppert and Rick COx at Lonnie's funeral home. Left there about 3 30 and went on and met Loren Baldwin to deliver his new car about 6pm. Left there about 7 and went north and landed just above Colombus Ohio for the night. Good day!:cheers:

Just checked the mapquest, and you are approximately 700 miles and 12 hours from Sturbridge MA. If you take the lower route, it is less miles and less time. You would be heading to Pittsburgh ( you can meet Rick Duffy there), and then head up to Scranton (since you don't mind the hills), and follow the signs for New England. There is only one toll bridge this way, and no toll roads. Driving time from Columbus to Sturbridge is about 12 hours, with no stops according to mapquest.

Dang Paul, make up your mind, earlier you told me to come across 80 and I am already north of the route to Pittsburgh. Guess I am going 80 for a while then wiggle up to 84.

I like to give you choices... 80 is the best way to go...

Danny; Just as a suggestion from one who's dealt with those size Dually's...Buy two new ones to match size wise and keep the spare if it's in good shape. It's not a good idea to run a new/old combo on the same side.

Danny Ryder said:
Dang, long day, just got to Meriden, CT. and got room for the night after 13hr's in the truck and 650 miles today. POOPED! Only 120 or so tomorrow to the prize that I came after.

You up yet? Stop in Manchester for coffee.

Back