Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:04 AM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 68 Cadillac MM Combo (Restore thread)

I figured rather than making a bunch of threads all over it would make more sense for me to create a master thread so I will be posting updates about my car here instead.

When I first got this car there was alot of nuts, bolts and miscellaneous stuff in the glove box banging and rattling around. It got annoying so I put it all in a big ziplock bag labeled "from hearse glovebox" and stored it away in my garage.

So this past weekend I thought I'd look through this stuff again and lo and behold I found several pieces I've been looking for, although broken. But broken or not they still give me a reference point. I also looked closer at the loose lower curtain rod on the passenger side and found that a headless screw was stuck in there.

Got it out with some pliers and drove down to ace hardware and matched it to a sheetmetal screw. Got the new one in and the metal stud in place. Now its tight and all good.

found the old ignition switch too, with some broken plastic. According to the previous owner, he says the owner before him lost the key and had the ignition replaced (likely with that cheap crappy ignition I have now). Not sure what that rectangular plate is for though, looks newer so may be useless to me.

Does anyone know how to tighten the side mirrors? The stalks are fine, but the mirrors mounted on the stalks are wobbly. I cant see any obvious way to tighten them. I do see a screw hole in the base of the stalk but I assume that affects the mounting to the door.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2018, 11:12 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,144 Times in 2,350 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Sherwin View Post
Does anyone know how to tighten the side mirrors? The stalks are fine, but the mirrors mounted on the stalks are wobbly. I cant see any obvious way to tighten them. I do see a screw hole in the base of the stalk but I assume that affects the mounting to the door.
Same with my mirrors....
Old 04-30-2018, 11:28 AM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,449 Times in 6,111 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Two screws threw the center of the center. You need to remove. It to tighten the head. Use a little thread locker on the screws. Most of us have that bag of stuff in our cars.But
But its up to you to decide if the tip broken off the star is worse then the holes till you locate a complete on.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:42 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Two screws threw the center of the center. You need to remove. It to tighten the head. Use a little thread locker on the screws. Most of us have that bag of stuff in our cars.But
But its up to you to decide if the tip broken off the star is worse then the holes till you locate a complete on.
Good point about the star. Looks like I have to remove that panel and screw it on from the back. May do that for now.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 PM
Website Member

Do you think that I could have a machine shop or something closely reproduce these accent stars? I mean I do have a partial example and I could bring the panel in for measurements.

I have no idea on CNC costs though, but i imagine a short run of 2 would be costly
Old 05-02-2018, 10:38 PM

the first one is the expensive one. you might get some one to whittle one out of aluminum.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:08 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
the first one is the expensive one. you might get some one to whittle one out of aluminum.
If i can manage to find someone with a 3D scanner i will try to scan models of some of these rare pieces when i get them.

If i can get some 3d scans they can be used to make a CAD, which could be beneficial to everyone down the road
Old 05-03-2018, 01:01 AM

The last time i checked into that the first one was a grand and made out of Plastic
Old 05-07-2018, 12:52 PM
Website Member

Hadnt driven it since Tuesday and I came out Saturday morning to take my son on our weekly cruise and the battery was dead. No lights on, accessory wasnt on, was stumped. Previous owner installed a battery meter on the pillar so I could clearly see it was dead.

Checked connections first and seemed fine, got out my maintainer and it gave a reading of 0.1% so I took the battery down to O'Reillys where I bought it several months ago. They tested and charged it, it passed as a good battery. Drove around and made sure the alternator was charging as it should.

Went in and later that evening I went out to check the battery level again. It was almost dead. But I did find the cause...

I noticed when I opened the drivers side door the dome light didnt come on. I thought "dead battery, great". But no, wasnt dead. I looked back and saw the interior coach lights were on, barely dimly lit. Went around to the passenger rear and opened the door and the lights came on full and bright. Closed the door and they were dim.

Felt the control panel in the back and it was HOT. I pressed the door jamb button for the lights and halfway in the lights flickered off, all the way down and they came back on.

Next I repeatedly pressed the button in and out quickly several times and it stayed off. After doing that now the front domelight works again. I have been checking everytime I am outside to make sure its off.

Sounds like I may have some kinda weird electrical issue. A friend said it sounded like the switch was going bad. But I will see if it reoccurs. More concerning than the dead battery was that panel was hot to the touch from being dimly lit all day. Last thing I want is a fire.

For now im going to play it by ear and see if it re-occurs.

I am thinking about very soon doing the 50/50 acetone and rustoleum treatment on the top as well.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:46 PM

Its a old coach it has electrical issues. The dome lights function by switching the ground. So if it has a hot panel it is a short most likely the rocker switch if playing around with it got it to work but a loose wire is just as likely. Got to look and see not just guess.