Portsmouth Fire Department Ambulances

Brendan Martin

PCS Member
These are photos of some of the Ambulances used by the Fire Department that I work for, long before I started there. The Portsmouth Fire Department is a Full Time Fire Department made up of 36 men. We are Firefighter/EMT, or Paramedics. The ambulances were purchased by the Portsmouth Volunteer Fire Department, and staffed by town employees. As firefighters most of us were and still are members of the Volunteer Fire Department, which still purchases the ambulances and supplies within them. This allows us to have some input regarding our EMS equipment. Here in Rhode Island we call our ambulances Rescues. One of the photos is not a procar. The department always ran a procar based ambulance for medical emergencies, and used truck based ambulances for car wrecks. In 1980 the last Cadillac was traded for Ford Modular bodies and this policy stopped. Enjoy the photos.

Itsa 66 model Impala with a 327.... cool car:cool: (Paul are the originals larger than whats posted here? 600x512ish)

Sorry to say that you are wrong on the year... It is a 1965. It does have the crossed flags with the 327 engine size over the top of it.
I do have larger pictures on my computer.

Sorry to say that you are wrong on the year... It is a 1965. It does have the crossed flags with the 327 engine size over the top of it.
I do have larger pictures on my computer.

Your right Paul its a 65....fingers slipped and I didnt proofread my post last night before bed. Could you email me the larger scans for the 65 please?
Thanks

Heres a 66 with a 396...and its a Pinner! Dr White collection
bdrx1t.jpg

And here's what a '66 National Chevy high-top looks like, from Marlboro, MD. It has a tall windshield.

Attachments

• 66NationalChevyMarlboro1.jpg
    66NationalChevyMarlboro1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for showing the '66 Steve, it shows the difference between the '65 and '66 in the nose. It sure is a nice looking rig too!

These are photos of some of the Ambulances used by the Fire Department that I work for, long before I started there. The Portsmouth Fire Department is a Full Time Fire Department made up of 36 men. We are Firefighter/EMT, or Paramedics. The ambulances were purchased by the Portsmouth Volunteer Fire Department, and staffed by town employees. As firefighters most of us were and still are members of the Volunteer Fire Department, which still purchases the ambulances and supplies within them. This allows us to have some input regarding our EMS equipment. Here in Rhode Island we call our ambulances Rescues. One of the photos is not a procar. The department always ran a procar based ambulance for medical emergencies, and used truck based ambulances for car wrecks. In 1980 the last Cadillac was traded for Ford Modular bodies and this policy stopped. Enjoy the photos.

You Know Brendan you dept sounds just like Kingston were I work 30 career Firefighter/medics but some volunteers and they also buy the ambulances and pay the town for us to staff them... Great Photos and a nice start for some future model projects....

You Know Brendan you dept sounds just like Kingston were I work 30 career Firefighter/medics but some volunteers and they also buy the ambulances and pay the town for us to staff them... Great Photos and a nice start for some future model projects....

This is true Chris, our town however no longer lets the Volunteers work as active Firefighter/Medics. Not sure why or when, I have worked there for 14 years and it has always been that way. This leaves us horribly understaffed and unprepared for major/multiple incidents. More pics are on the way.

Back