WANTED: squad bench needed for '59 S&S Hightop

Joe Puleo

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
The restoration is progressing on my '59 Cadillac S&S Hightop. We cleaned the floor and determined that the car had a squad bench. There is a shadow on the floor as well as screw holes. Does anyone have a bench that they would sell? Or the trim and rails from a bench? Would appreciate any help.

you best bet would be to look over all the pictures you can and build one. I have no Ida if the use steel or wood. but you do a least have the shape with your holes. this is the only one I have

Attachments

• 1959 S&S Mark Christy2.jpg
    1959 S&S Mark Christy2.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 370
Not trying to kill the deal for Pete, however, if you have the shadow of where the squad bench was, then you have all you need to reproduce one for the car. They were made of 3/4" plywood, and covered with laminate. The top of the box (seat) was hinged at the back end with a piano hinge, and the top where you sat, had a 3 or 4 inch foam covered with the same vinyl as the interior. If you want to be exacting, then look at how they were built in later S&S ambulances. It rarely changed in looks, only dimensions.

thanks for the suggestion Paul, but then I would have to find all of the aluminum/stainless moldings and the flip-down safety bar assembly. Building one isn't out of the question, but it would be my last resort.

The moldings and stainless are proprietary to S&S, so whatever you find, unless it is a S&S squad bench, it going to be out of place. If you build one yourself and later on find the correct S&S squad bench, you can put the moldings onto the one you built. No matter what you find, most likely, it is going to need to be rebuilt, because after almost 60 years, it is going to be in poor condition.

I have a 74 S/S Ambulance with a squad bench, I can do some measurements and photos if you think that will help.

I took everyone's advice and built the squad bench from scratch. The you Peter for supplying the flip-up rail. Here are some pics

Attachments

• IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0020.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_0021.jpg
    IMG_0021.jpg