Water pump??

John Royark JR

PCS Member
I took my 49 to a show on Friday and on the way it got very hot (240 on the interstate), as you all know by now, it has a 350 crate engine. I this car is driven almost daily, and I have never had any issues before. My first thought was a stuck thermostat. I replaced it, and also checked for collapsed hoses, and re filled the coolant. It still got hot, the temp was at 210 when I opened the radiator cap to the first notch, nothing erupted out, and there seemed to be no pressure, i took it all the way off and the coolant level remained the same, even after the thermostat had opened, and did not appear to be circulating. The coolant in the radiator was pretty hot but you could stick your finger in it without burning it.This leads me to believe the propellar in the water pump is no longer turning. The belt is tight, and the fan runs as should, and the signs of a failing water pump are not present (loose fan blade, leaking), so is it possible that something failed on the inside causing it to not work without any external signs?

pump problems

I have heard of pumps that do not display symptoms of failure. When they were taken off the fins on the impeller were almost non existant. Your water (coolant) is not moving at the proper rate with a worn impeller. Taking it off for a look is the only option I know of. Then you would have to have a good pump for comparison. Or factory books to get measurements from. Remember, when it is running too hot to turn on the heater. This is uncomfortable in the summer but it gives you just a bit more coolant through the engine and radiator. When its hot every little bit helps.
Good luck,
Mike

I have heard of pumps that do not display symptoms of failure. When they were taken off the fins on the impeller were almost non existant. Your water (coolant) is not moving at the proper rate with a worn impeller. Taking it off for a look is the only option I know of. Then you would have to have a good pump for comparison. Or factory books to get measurements from. Remember, when it is running too hot to turn on the heater. This is uncomfortable in the summer but it gives you just a bit more coolant through the engine and radiator. When its hot every little bit helps.
Good luck,
Mike

Turning on the heater had no effect either. I have a manual shut off valve on the heater hose for summer months because it has 3 heater cores in the car, (one under the dash, one under the driver seat, and one in the partition wall for the rear), and those of you with cars like this know the cores produce heat when they are off, so this is the only way to shut them off completly. Opening the valve had no effect on the level in the radiator like it should have either.
Thanks for the comment on the pump. Not sure how the impeller can be worn on this, but I guess anything is possible, thats why I was thinking somehow the shaft is not attached to it anymore.
One good thing about it being a common engine is that the water pump only runs about $30, unlike some other cars I have owned.

Water Pump

John, Had similar problem with my 55 Caddy Flower Car. Cleaned and boiled radiator--no difference. Pulled water pump and the impeller blades were almost gone. Installed new pump-----problem solved. Hope this helps.

When impeller blades are worn down to nubs, that indicates that the cooling system hasn't been properly serviced, and that the blades had rusted apart. When this happens, you are left with no choice but to replace the water pump, but it is important to remove all the accumulated rust from the engine cooling passages, and the bottom of the radiator. These things don't happen over night, but rather over a long period of time. A through cleaning of the cooling system is something that you cannot skip. If you do, you will be plagued with cooling problems in the future, and many times, the new parts will be damaged as a result of the abrasive action of the rust.

I have seen them come loose on the shaft also. it is just pressed on cast on a hard steel shaft. one thing about it a 350 is easy enough to change and not all that expensive.

I have seen them come loose on the shaft also. it is just pressed on cast on a hard steel shaft. one thing about it a 350 is easy enough to change and not all that expensive.

That is the same thing I was thinking, it coming off the shaft.

Paul, as for it the impeller worn down to nothing I do not think is a problem, there is no rust in the system, the engine and water pump is only 2 years old, and I know the radiator is as clean as a new one.

Thanks for all your help, I will have to wait until Thursday before I can pick up a new water pump.

Back