Tires - what would you suggest?

Sarah Snook

PCS Life Member
I'm looking to get new tires for my 1966 M-M combo before driving to the international PCS meet in August. The tires that I have on my coach now barely have any wear on them, but they are seven years old, so they are starting to make me a bit nervous because of their age. I'm looking to find some tires that can handle the weight of my car and that have a bit of a whitewall, but not too thick of one. My current tires have a 3/4" whitewall, and I'd like to stay around that range.

So what have you had good luck with tire-wise that would work for my '66 combo? Are there any specific tires or brands that you'd stay away from? I'm hoping to order tires in the next few days hopefully and get them installed a few days before the meet, so let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

What ever you decide on for tires, get them installed ASAP, since you don't want to start a trip on tires that were just installed. The first few hundred miles on a new tire, are when a new tire is most likely to fail from a manufacturing defect. No fun dealing with a defective tire a long distance from where you have purchased it. Most defects in most new items usually show up in the first few weeks or months after purchase.

Sarah, I purchased KUMHO tires for my Lifeliner and they are rated XL for extra load cars. The whitewall is a bit small but I love these tires.

tires

Sarah,
Tires now days have the weight they can carry molded on the sidewall with other info. Whatever you get, make sure you ad the weight of a driver, passengers and any spares you may carry.
I put a set of BFGoodrich tires on my coach. They are working out well for me. They are not the wide white walls that were on the car but I am getting used to them.
Because of the weight of our rides most of the tire shops I went to said I should get light truck tires. I think our rides are heavier that most pick ups.
Mike

the Kelly Springfield makes a nice extra load with the WW. the Koumo's are all right but to me they look small. but check with tire rack on there price before you buy them down town. the set we got for Robert's were $30 each cheaper. they can ship two for the price of one. so getting a set of 4 is cheaper then doing them one at a time. the BF Goodrich's I have on the 72 I got a Sam's Club but they don't come in a WW so that's out. you want something that has a load rating of at least 2200 lb and keep them at the max air. they will ride a little rougher but handle a lot better and carry the weight they are rated at. bring your old one along I'll give you 20 bucks each for them I need another full set. 7 years old is a new tire to me.

Kelly Springfield, Paul?

In a previous post Paul mentioned he was using Kelly Springfield Navigator Gold 235/75/15. They come in a smaller white wall and have a 2180 # rating per tire.

I've ordered a set for my 1953 Pontiac/Barnette but haven't got them as yet. Paul...are you still happy with them?

Bill

Yes, I am exceedingly happy with them. I have put almost a 1000 miles on the car so far, and the tires ride very well, and they look very good on the car. Even at 40 PSI, the ride is very smooth, like a 7000 pound luxury car should ride.
The only down side to the tires, is that many local tire dealers want to sell only what they stock, or can get in a day or two. I got many excuses why they were "not available", from Kelly Springfield is going out of business, to they no longer make the tire. After calling Kelly Springfield directly, I was told that these were just old rumors that have been going around the tire industry for years. If you can't beat them with a better product, the start making up lies seems to be the general way of some of these business's. I bought my tires from a local tire chain called Town Fair Tire. Last year, I paid $105 or $115, mounted, balanced, and all taxes. It took them about 10 days to get the tires in from the Ohio warehouse.

For Sarah........
I have Kelly Navigator Gold XL 235/75/15 tires on my Chrysler. The Navigator Gold tire comes is 2 versions...... standard, and extra load. You need the extra load tires. They are also a radial tire, which according to the judging standard isn't acceptable to the PCS. I prefer the safety of a radial tire over a bias ply tire, and am willing to give up the couple of points as a result. Your car originally came with a 2 or 2 1/2" white wall going by memory. The white wall on the Navigator Gold is 7/8".

Back