Which is Hot & Ground?

I removed my power invertor over the weekend and wanted to hook up a smaller version but, when I went to wire it to the alternator both wires coming off the alternator are the same color, BLUE. Of course there are no markings either. So rather than risk an issue I just taped them up for another day.
Do you happen to know while standing at the grill looking at the alternator if the right wire or the left wire is HOT?

I removed my power invertor over the weekend and wanted to hook up a smaller version but, when I went to wire it to the alternator both wires coming off the alternator are the same color, BLUE. Of course there are no markings either. So rather than risk an issue I just taped them up for another day.
Do you happen to know while standing at the grill looking at the alternator if the right wire or the left wire is HOT?

Touch one wire to a metal part of the car. If it doesn't spark, that's the ground! :eek:

Or you could also use a tester........

I have a test light that has a red and green led. The red is for positive and the green is for ground. I got it form walmart for around $10.

for get the alternator. hook the red on up the the hot side of the solenoid of the siren and black to ground the the inverter will be hot all the time. you think you got trouble now burn out one of the diodes in that alternator and try to get it fixed. the wires you looking at went to the the transformer there are two hot wires to it. one for the coil and one for the load. all that buzz box you got needs is a power source and a ground. don't use the alternator for the power source. use the battery.

auto right and left

While I don't know which of your wires would be hot it should not be hard to find out. Hook a test light to one and then to a known ground. If it lights it is hot. Then for good measure try the other wire. Then make a mental note or a written one.
A tip for one and all on automotive right and left, if you have not heard it before. ALWAYS designate right or left as if you were sitting in the drivers seat. This is the way we did it in the truck plant and it kept everyone on the same page as they say. It is the way it was done at Generous Motors, before it became Government Motors.
Has anyone really figured out who 'THEY' are?
Mike
61 M-M

Back