Alternating Current on Ambulance

If it's not one thing it will be another. I'm confident my radiator issue is complete but, I went to plug in a small fan in the alternating current outlet in the Lifeliner and NO current. Checked the one in the rear, NO current. All fuses are intact and no wires off the alternator.
I used these outlets last December in the Christmas parade plugging in the Christmas lights with no issues.
Any ideas?

Christmas-01.jpg

I think you answered your own question Richard. If it were christmas and you were using christmas lights everything would be fine. The fact you tried to cheat and plug something else into it is the problem.:eek::D

It is doing what alternating current does best. ... Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't. It is alternating between working and not working... Possibly it has something to do with the seasons??? :rolleyes:

Oh joy, one of those days. You guys are so funny. Youu see, the air works but not the coldest so I want to supplement air flow via a small fan. I have a conversion box but the darn things work before so they shoudl work now. I guess it will go to the electrical shop for him to look at it if the PCS thoughts don't work.:p

One other thing, turns out a toggle switch on the dash that I never could find what it was for, was for the horn system on the rig. I guess perhaps in the past the horn was tied in to a siren and they switch was used to prevent the siren from being used by mistake. It is now used to turn the A/C compressor on and off until I locate another temp. control panel.

Ok again the nursing home answer it depends. what kind of converter do you have. the under the hood transformer or a big box sitting some were in the back. both of them have a wire plugged into them like a extension cord. that wire then has the outlets on the ends. power to the unit is a must to get power out. if you have power going in and none out. look for a reset. or move the plug to the other out let. no power going in check the in line fuse. the go look at the connection on the alternator. but I would just bet if the fan doesn't work the christmas lights won't either. but maybe the fan is drawing more amps then you unit is putting out.

Richard, the inverter usually has it's own circuit breaker for the AC system, should be on the inverter itself, make sure that's OK. Also, do you have more than one AC outlet - perhaps one in back and one under the dash or behind the drivers' seat? Check both outlets.

...Youu see, the air works but not the coldest so I want to supplement air flow via a small fan...
Long-term, maybe try a 12v fan.

...or drive faster... ;)

Any idea where the convertor might be? I thought it might just be built into the alternator. This weekend I'll take each outlet out and trace wires but have not located a fuse for the outlets as yet.

should not be any on the outlets. they will just plug into the converter. but by now you have a IDA were to look. it's either a transformer on the iner-fender. with a two prong outlet plugged into it or it's under the seat some were in the back. if it's under the hood there is a in line fuse there. they were always going bad. usually just corroding up to were they would not pass current anymore.

I found it. Robert Shepard called and told me where it was. Tried it but no luck. So, where does one get another convertor box? Ideas?

One must first determine what the problem is before you can tell whether a replacement is in order, or just a repair. Have you diagnosed what is wrong with the one you presently have?????????

One must first determine what the problem is before you can tell whether a replacement is in order, or just a repair. Have you diagnosed what is wrong with the one you presently have?????????

Trying to find out what is wrong with it will require someone with knowledge and my local electrical repair shop already said not to bring my ambulance to him. So, all I know is to start the ambulance and plug something into it. If it works I'm good to go but if it does not, don't have a clue how to figure it out.

Not to sound like I'm asking a dumb question, did you locate the breaker on the inverter? And if there's an outlet on the inverter itself, did you plug something in that? I'm far from an expert, but those are things I'd check first.

Not to sound like I'm asking a dumb question, did you locate the breaker on the inverter? And if there's an outlet on the inverter itself, did you plug something in that? I'm far from an expert, but those are things I'd check first.

I followed the wires from the alternator to convertor and no fuse there but there was a fuse from convertor to the inside of rig. That fuse was ok. I started the ambulance, unplugged the line to the inside and plugged a device directly into the convertor. No luck. So either it is the convertor or the alternator not sending the proper current to the convertor.
Just in case I need another convertor, where would you get one?

don't bother to mess with the old one if it is the transformer under the hood. drop down to the parts store and get a solid stated one almost any parts stores has or can get them , farm fleet type stores audio stores harbor fright hardware Radio shack JC Whitney anyone of them can get one. can got them. wire it direct to the battery and plug you ac plug into it. no since in messing with that old transformer. but then you can pick up a 12 volt fan from the same places to.

don't bother to mess with the old one if it is the transformer under the hood. drop down to the parts store and get a solid stated one almost any parts stores has or can get them , farm fleet type stores audio stores harbor fright hardware Radio shack JC Whitney anyone of them can get one. can got them. wire it direct to the battery and plug you ac plug into it. no since in messing with that old transformer. but then you can pick up a 12 volt fan from the same places to.

Makes sense to me Ed.

Back