Fiberglass Roof Prep???

I am curious what some of you would suggest to use on the Contours and Various Stylings of the Fiberglass Roof on my Superior Ambulance, for sanding and Smoothing Purpose's

As I've used a Combination of Air/Electric Sanders on the Larger Areas that are easily accessable, but the sanders can't even out or smooth the Finish in the Curves and Contour Styling of the Roof with out Damaging it further.

The Reason I need to Sand and Even out these areas is, over the Years the Layers upon Layers of Paint Applied to this car have Starting Cracking away (And in some areas Peeling) down to the Bare Primered Fiberglass Base.

Not sure which route would be the Best Route to go with something like this, Perhaps Good Ol' Elbow Grease would be the Safest???? (If so, I'm sure my Hands and Arms would Really Thank You!)

No different than painting a Corvette....... Lots of elbow grease and sandpaper.

yes your into elbow grease. 220 wet or dry will move a lot of stuff in a hurry. use a block ,add a little soap to the water and go for it.

Thanks for the "Good" News

Thank you both for your input,
-as thats just what I feared, But I wasn't sure if there was some sort of Tool or Product thats been Produced, that people have had good luck with or not, so thats why I asked.

I feared it would be a "Elbow Grease" Project, due to the Unique-ness of these cars (Pro-Cars) But it never Hurts to ask.

Thanks Yet Again!

The only substitute for elbow grease in this aspect is $$$$$$$$$$ :rolleyes:

with that you can get some ones else's elbow grease. there is no magic stripper for the fiberglass. if you can handle the tool with out cutting off the edges, you remove it with a sander. but it is best to do it by hand. don't take it clear down ether, but just enough to remove the cracks in the old paint. the tops are wavy, the longer the block the better with you get to the re prime. it is really no different then working the rest of the car. you can cut the lead into a different contour also quite easily. as long as the paint it not pealing and is only one layer then leave as much as possable use it to fill and get the smooth coat you think the car had when it was new. it was run out a lot roughter then you think.

Back