Junkyard Meanderings

The most recent issue of "Old Cars Weekly" has an article by "Junkyard Ron" about a yard that will be closing soon and crusing their cars - get 'em while you can. Development is encroaching and the township has declared it an unsightly nuisance that must GO. That kind of article appears several times a year, and most of those yards are pretty far from me. The one in that issue, though, is in Dover, PA and that's pretty close. The main photo in the article shows a M-M ambulance, so I decided to go check it out yesterday. (Boy, me wandering around junkyards, don't I feel like Atti now?!?!?)

They had only the one ambulance in the yard, and it's a '68 M-M Volunteer. As can be seen from the photos, it's in pretty rough shape. It had not been wrecked, so it was probably complete when it arrived in the yard many years ago (the current owner bought the yard from previous owners, so there's no information on how long it had been there or where it came from, though it had a York County sticker on the window). All the Ful-Vu lights and other emergency equipment had previously been picked, as had much of the chrome, including the crosses and M-M logos. The windshield had been removed some time ago, and the front had been open for many years so most of the interior was trashed. The rear interior had also been exposed to the elements thanks to open rear doors, so all the wood components and headliner were beyond saving. And as can be seen in the photo, the frame buckled near the cowl when they moved the car recently, so it's well beyond restoration. And Paul, sorry, the rear bumper was gone from this one, too.

The good things were the rear quarter etched glass. So I was able to remove and buy those. Also, one of the two jumpseats was still in the car - a quick tug removed it from it's attachment to the rotted plywood floor. In the process of removing the windows, I have the interior trim that surrounds them, including the vani-shades, which are moldy but intact. I didn't remove any of the other glass, I didn't have that much time.

There's also a '62 (?) Cadillac limo which had been wrecked, didn't look like anything usable. The guy said there was a hearse in really bad shape, but I never found it.

Photos of the car, the glass, and the seat are below. If anyone needs them, send me a PM or e-mail and make an offer.

If anyone wants anything else off the car (there's not much left), the yard is close to I-83 near York, PA, I can give you directions. The yard closes 12/5 and everything is supposed to be crushed by 12/31. I think this ambulance has provided it's last service, donating it's windows to someone else's restoration. I bid it a fond "farewell". :goodnight_smi:

Attachments

• DSC06732s.jpg
    DSC06732s.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,714
  • DSC06740s.jpg
    DSC06740s.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC06747s.jpg
    DSC06747s.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC06735s.jpg
    DSC06735s.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,684
you get out there again check and see if it has a non remote right hand mirrior. I would like to get one more of them.

The limo appears to be a '61, and if any of the air conditioning parts are intact and available in the engine compartment, they would be good to get. The '61 compressor is unique to that year, as is the hot gas bypass control system. Even better if the car was a '62, as the compressor would have been the popular A6 workhorse, with brackets that would allow that compressor to be mounted on engines as far back as '59. Tom

Thanks for the antidote with accompanying pictures Steve.

If someone from the board heads there, grab the inner/outer windshield molding off the limo and rear view mirror. (Outer top molding is the only one that requires more than a couple minutes. Take a can of PB Blaster.) I don't need the moldings personally but the '59-'64 vertical pieces are not easy to come by.

My rear view mirror however is corroded. I could use a better one! :specool:

All, FYI, I doubt I will personally have a chance to get back up there again. Lots going on, I needed one day break.

If you go, a couple notes. You have to call ahead. When you get to the locked gate, you have to honk loudly and hope the dog hears you. When the dog barks, the guy can hear the dog and will come. And when the guy comes and lets you in the gate, you have to pay him $5 up front for him to let you on the property!!! Cash, of course. Never been to a junkyard with a cover charge before.....

Both the guy and the dog are friendly, though.

must be the new way to pay the taxes on your yard. at least that gets them a income from everyone that enters the yard

Speaking of mirrors..

you get out there again check and see if it has a non remote right hand mirrior. I would like to get one more of them.

The cover charges are interesting. On the subject of mirrors, unlike Ed, I am having a hard time finding a passenger (left side) mirror for my Fleetwood 75. From what I can tell or have read, they are somehow different from the regular cars---perhaps since the car is longer, the mirror is angled differently? If anyone has one, please let me know.

yard

Sent my Son to this yard early last week looking for non pro-car parts and he photoed the ambulance and the limo. We had no idea the Cars and Parts article was set to appear. Once again Steve's radar pointed him to them. Glad at least parts were saved. There is also the remains of a very rare '39 LaSalle Conv in that yard that I parted out over 20 years ago. Sadly those yards are rapidly disappearing.

Back