Window nameplates

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
I ordered a set of nameplates from Tom (Names Unlimited) back in September of last year and have not received them yet. Numerous emails have gone unanswered. Not sure if he closed shop or what? Anyone have a suggestion as to another vendor for nameplates? Jim

I ordered a set of nameplates from Tom (Names Unlimited) back in September of last year and have not received them yet. Numerous emails have gone unanswered. Not sure if he closed shop or what? Anyone have a suggestion as to another vendor for nameplates? Jim

I order everything thru Henry Schwab Company, ask for Hope, she will help you. You can google their website/info.

That is unlike him. Give him a call, instead of email. Ive ordered many sets from him, as has many others and never any problems.

Hmmm this is odd. I know it can take many months for him to fill an order. I have a friend who ordered a set and waited nearly 8 months for his, and when they finally came he was told to "never order any again" because he too was worried over time and made many efforts to contact Tom.

I tried to tour Names Unlimited a few years ago, he declined due to "trade secrets and living a hermit-like existance" but the shop is only 20 minutes south of me in Caledonia, Ohio... maybe soon i'll swing by just to see if they are still around

I never ordered anything from the guy but I was told by another PCS member a couple weeks ago that he ordered a set, sent the money and never got them.

He also called and never got any answer many times.

You are not the only one Jim.

Hope he surfaces for the ones requiring those type of nameplates.

I do know of another guy who operates in the same fashion in another line of work.

Darren

I found that getting ahold of them recently is impossible. I also wonder if they went under or something. I've ordered two sets from them in the past and have never been more than satisfied. I wanted a set for my 52 Superior. Left several messages on the voicemail and also a few emails. Finally I got a reply that was really vague saying that "we are unable to make your nameplates at this time". Thats too bad because I really liked their work. Would be interesting to know why they would decline business.

I too,called back in January for a set for the 70 Superior....at that time someone answered and said that due to circumstances beyond his control he was not taking an NEW orders at this time and advised me that there were several other companies making them..."just look on the internet" he told me...before I could ask another question he hung up .......:confused:

Names Unlimited

We had a phone call a couple weeks ago from a PCS member -- sorry, I can't remember who it was, I spoke with several members that day -- who said that he had placed an order with Names Unlimited some months ago and his payment was recently returned to him with a letter saying they would not be able to fill the order. He called to find out more information; after some discussion he asked directly whether it was a health issue, and the answer was "yes."

Since I can't remember who told me this I feel a little like I'm passing along gossip, but since Names Unlimited has had such a good relationship with many of our members, I wanted to let you all know.

I order everything thru Henry Schwab Company, ask for Hope, she will help you. You can google their website/info.

I was refused an account with Henry Schwab because I'm not a funeral director. Can anyone else suggest a vendor to make me a nameplate? Thanks.

Exactly one year ago, Tom made my plates for my 63. It only took a month, and he was personable to deal with. We actually chatted about pro cars, old ambulances in particular. This is too bad.

I was refused an account with Henry Schwab because I'm not a funeral director. Can anyone else suggest a vendor to make me a nameplate? Thanks.

I told you to call their and ask for Hope, explain your a pro car collector, she will assist you. They are in the business of selling.

I don't know about you guys but I had mine made at a commercial metal fabricating shop. Just find one with a CNC lazer cutting machine.
I had an inside track in that my daughter worked at a place running one. I only paid $60 for the computer time.
Download a font onto a memmory stick (or ask them to if they are worried about virus's), give them the dimensions you want and let them do it.
I picked up some 1/4" key stock and welded the final product to it and painted it silver....voila'

005_zps6007c54a.jpg

I don't know about you guys but I had mine made at a commercial metal fabricating shop. Just find one with a CNC lazer cutting machine.
I had an inside track in that my daughter worked at a place running one. I only paid $60 for the computer time.
Download a font onto a memmory stick (or ask them to if they are worried about virus's), give them the dimensions you want and let them do it.
I picked up some 1/4" key stock and welded the final product to it and painted it silver....voila'

I have had several made at another sign shop here that has a water jet cutter.
The "clamp bar" was included in the design so no additional welding was required.

Hmmm this is odd. I know it can take many months for him to fill an order. I have a friend who ordered a set and waited nearly 8 months for his, and when they finally came he was told to "never order any again" because he too was worried over time and made many efforts to contact Tom.

I tried to tour Names Unlimited a few years ago, he declined due to "trade secrets and living a hermit-like existance" but the shop is only 20 minutes south of me in Caledonia, Ohio... maybe soon i'll swing by just to see if they are still around

Dwayne, did you ever swing by Tom's?

Henry Schwab

I just called Henry Schwab and spoke with Tracy. I explained to her that I needed name plates for a vintage ambulance that I am restoring. They WILL sell us name plates. They will not sell you other mortuary supplies, unless you are a funeral director. They had previously purchased their plates from Names Unlimited and are now dealing with 2 new suppliers. One supplier does them in cast aluminum, and the other in chrome-plated steel. I am ordering a pair for my '75 Superior 54" ambulance.

The chrome plated steel versions come from DNR in Ontario Canada.

They look really nice but not your typical cast aluminum look.

Last I heard they were about 250.00 a pair.

Darren

Back