Trip to Albany - Red Lights Question

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
In traveling from New Brunswick (Canada) to Albany, will there be any states that will require me to cover my red lights?

I will be traveling through

* Maine
* New Hampshire
* Massachusetts
* New York
* Connecticut

I had the same question last year when we attended the meet in Flint. As I remember, there were no states that had issues but to be on the safe side my wife made covers for mine. It covered them and it kept the bugs out of them. Not sure if I'll do the same this year with the Criterion.

PCSFlintTrip001.jpg

Light Covers

As Richard suggested.... I would play it safe and cover them (just in case) for the over-zealous just out of the academy LEO that you (may) encounter along the route. MM

A couple of years ago I personally spoke with high level personnel of each of the states at the New England States Expo held in Springfield MA. All, CT, MA, ME, RI, NH said that they they had no problem with the lights that are mounted on the ambulance as long as they are not activated, and the car is registered as a Historical Vehicle. The registration type is the key to the answer. As an example, if you have regular passenger plates on the vehicle, then you are considered in violation of the law, but with Historic Plates, you are allowed to keep the vehicle as manufactured for historical use. I know that CT, RI, and MA will not give you a hassle, since I routinely drive my ambulance in all 3 of these states and have never had a problem.

Back