1950 Buick Roadmaster Flxible Hearse/Ambulance

1950 Buick Roadmaster Flxible Hearse/Ambulance This is a rare one a shame what the idiot did to the interior. The glass of beer in the center console is the best .Actual miles.
Front floors patched long ago and rockers are now 8’ treated 4”x4”s.
In dry storage and not in the rain or snow since 1983.
Dual master cylinder power brakes on firewall.
Engine gaskets replaced.
Transmission (Dynaflow) has leaks but not that bad. Just carry kitty litter. She leaves her mark when parked.
Interior not completed.
Buick LeSabre leather front seats Windshield good.
Other windows are thick plexiglass https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Buick...:pf:1&vxp=mtr&frcectupt=true&autorefresh=true

I wouldn't have given a bid on it, once I saw the pictures. It is obvious that he was too lazy to clean out the back of the car, so you could see what is under all the trash. Then when you see the modern seats that have been bolted to the floors, along with the shoulder harness bolted to a piece of wood, makes me wonder the level of expertise that he has to have done other things to the car, such as the dual master cylinder. In my opinion, this person is a hack that has ruined any value that the car might have had.

No since in buying someone elses mess. Damage is enough of a headache,but when you try to put back to put back togather altered and missing its a real challenge. Gone is gone. If you don't have a complete car to compare to you just guess how it goes. . But then some times you get it better then it was to.

Not worth anywhere near the high bid, in its current condition. In as much as I absolutely loved '49 Buicks, I always thought that '50 Buicks were one of the uggliest cars ever built!

Really odd in that it has no window in the passenger side rear door??

This one's been kicking around the internet for a very long time. It's interesting that according to the Flxible production and delivery records this vehicle (Flxible Body # 16686) went to James R. Baker of the Baker Funeral Home in Dwight, Illinois and was delivered on May 26, 1950. The motor number (57568177) shown on the title in the ad photos enabled positive identification of this car through the official Flxible records. According to the record book, this vehicle was a Flxible Premier (Model FB21-750) funeral car and not a service car (which would have been an FB24-750) so we can rule that out. It is also not listed as a landau and I am sure Flxible never built a car with the rear side door paneled over on one side and not the other as seen in the photos. I can only surmise that this car was originally built as a landau and the gal entering it into the record book forgot to add the suffix letter L to the model number. It probably should have been FB21-750L. So....there you have it. This is or was a 1950 Flxible-Buick Premier Funeral Car and yes, the 750 series models were based on a Buick Roadmaster chassis (550 Series on a Buick Super chassis). Probably more information than needed but, now you know the complete story. By the way, This model (FB21-750L) had a factory drive-away list price of $6,064.The Baker Funeral Home in Dwight, Illinois was acquired by the Von Qualen Funeral Home in 1977.

Well I both agree and disagree with Kurt. I bought my first 50 Roadmaster a 72R sedan in April of 55 with a smashed right front fender for $250.00 from a classmate who said "just too big for me" he replaced it with a 50 Olds 88 coupe. Remember the 72R had a 130 1/2 inch wheelbase and was one huge car. Styling??? well the toothey front was the like or hate the rest of the car a Cadillac with different chrome trim no fins. I loved the car 12mpg mushey ride and with a glasspack muffler a real roar. We rigged a spark plug at the end of the exhaust pipe hooked to a Model T spark coil and a hand choke the spark coil on shut the key off and pull out the choke and get a three foot flame out of the exhaust pipe, people would jump. I taught my girlfriend (now wife for 52 years) how to drive with the 50 in 1958 yes had a Packard with power steering by then told her you drive the Buick you will drive anything. I still have another 50 72R in my collection. So far as this Coach goes street rod is its only hope to redo it would cost wise out of site. As far a the right rear door goes you wonder if someone bashed in the original and found a parts car that was a service car the bodies were the same for four years.I would like to find a 50 Roadmaster Ambulance perhaps better I don't. Styling ?? nothing like it before or since I think its neat.

Back