that felling you get

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
the big goals in the rebuild are always nice. the time you get the doors and front end back on is one. but nothing ever tops the day you get the glass back in. I still have two more doors to go and we need to get the weather seal in place but it's nice to have the glass in on this side at last.

Attachments

• IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 218
Thanks. You would be more impressed if you watch Mr spend two he trying to meet those doors to not haing up on the center molding. Final assembly is always a learning curve. But i know know which part to put on first on the other side. This one is a topical pro car. The doors in the center at tight top and bottom with a wide gap in the beltline. Drives you nuts.

Doors always seem to fit well before you take them off, and are next to impossible to duplicate the original alignment when you put them back on. They almost always seem to shrink or grow larger when they are off the car, and then go back onto the car. New pins and bushings seem to aggravate the situation, not improve it. Fitting doors takes a lot of patience, and some luck to get it set exactly where it should be in alignment with the rest of the car.

then add into Superiors construction and my re-plating. the one thing I did not do on this one was remove the doors. I did not need to take them off the body but some how in our process we ended up a little thicker on the upright posts.

trying to get them around the medal stamping was a trick. I did resist the temptation to grind off tat upper edge. but man that would have salved the problem. but we wrestle them till they would close with out hitting any thing and on a pro car that is good.

Attachments

• IMG_7161.jpg
    IMG_7161.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7162.jpg
    IMG_7162.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 122
Hi, Ed. I have followed your amazing restorations over the years, and have noticed on this unit you are replacing the trim prior to final paint. All the others were painted first. Just curious.........any particular reason?

It's a Superior. In order to seal lt up so we can wash it you have to but the trim in around the glass. they built everything on top of the trim.on this set of cars. This is the only trim that will go on before we paint it. The rest will! What till it's painted.

Back