'59-'64 Superior & Miller Meteor loading door glass ID

I've measured '59 through '64 Superior rear loading door glass before firsthand and can attest that the same piece was used. This holds true for both Superior Cadillac and Superior Pontiac, btw.

Was told by a '59 collector last year that Miller Meteor glass changed for '63. Huh. Could it be that MM had a specific rear loading door glass for two years only, in '63-'64..? (Possible - '59 Eureka rear loading door glass is one year only, as is '60 Eureka.) Today I confirmed that claim. Here is a '63 rear loading door glass held closely over '59:

dsc05283z.jpg

'63 is longer and the top crown has a markedly different angle. Top to bottom, they are quite similar with little curvature.

Wondering how '59-'64 Superior glass compares to '59-'62 MM? Luckily for you, I came prepared:

dsc05308p.jpg

Superior is considerably taller and has more curvature top to bottom.

How about comparing '59-'64 Superior to '63-'64 MM? Superior is behind MM:

dsc05311o.jpg

Here are specifics never published/online:

'59-'62 MM - 14"H x 32.5"L (top), 37.5"L (bottom)
'63-'64 MM - 15.5"H x 38.75"L (top), 41.5" (bottom)
'59-'64 Superior- 17.25"H x 38.5"L (top), 39.5" (bottom)

I learned after searching for a spare rear door glass for the Pinner that the glass was from an 1953 Olds or Buick. I only learned this by giving the number to Al Smith from Pilkington Glass, and his keeping this number in the back of his mind. I got this number from Jack Pinner who remembered the number, but couldn't remember what vehicle it came from. Al had gotten a call from another glass company looking for the part number that I had given him. That is when he learned what that number fit.
It is a safe bet that all the body builders used glass from some other vehicle, especially if it is a tempered part. It would have been too expensive to set up for small glass runs, even back then. If you can photograph the Logo on the glass with the numbers, it might help to establish what the original use was from. It is a long shot, but I will bet that it can be done given enough of the information that you have assembled so far. One thing that will make it easier is to know when the glass was first used on a commercial chassis car.

the one thing it's safe to say is the different builders used different glass in those years. now compare the ambulance in the same builder with the hearse and was that the same glass??

Yes. '59-'64 Superior all used the same rear loading door glass - as did all '59-'62 Miller Meteor. Since this '63 MM high top ambulance glass may go into a '63 MM hearse, safe to assume '63-'64 is likewise the same.

If Russ didn't drop his '63 off today at the upholsterer, he could measure. ;)

the one thing I have found on these cars is it never safe to assume. I have gone into generally speaking. just when you think you have it, along comes some thing you have never seen. like that limo style converted to a landau using plywood to fill the blanks from the factory

Back