Engine ID question...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
Can you guess what this engine is and what it is going into??

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 161
  • iPhone 3 Feb 054.jpg
    iPhone 3 Feb 054.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 163
  • iPhone 3 Feb 060.jpg
    iPhone 3 Feb 060.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 162
  • iPhone 3 Feb 072.jpg
    iPhone 3 Feb 072.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 169
all wrapped up all I could see was the number of small bolts that go on the front cover. get one torn down that far and your got to be pretty sharp to tell. but I thought the pontiacs were the light blue metallic?

engine color

Pontiac used the light blue metallic engine paint from 1967-1970.
i went over to ebay and looked at a 73 catalina 2 dr and it had a metallic blue finish on the block , my family had 2 full size gm wagons a 75 impala 400 cid and 76 catalina 455 cid, the block in the impala was a orange color and the catalina had a light blue metallic finish maybe i,m wrong . in all my impala could go off the line faster than the catalina

Last edited:
Hold your calls, we have a winner!

Paul wouldn't let me chime in any earlier.

Yes indeed, it arrived yesterday from Jasper and is now in the garage at the house. I hope to get the engine compartment prepped soon, and get on with the install. Long story short, but the original engine I sent up turned out to be a 350 CID that a previous owner had put in lieu of the original 455. Jasper located me a 455 core, and we moved forward.

The "new" 455 is from a 1975 year however...best we could do under the circumstances. Now I am trying to get smart on the intricacies of locating a matching intake manifold and carb since I don't have one for this engine.

The 455 is simply amazing, as a "newbie" in this I hope I can do the engine compartment nice to do it justice.

It never ends...but then it is a "hobby".

best thing to do is get the 50 buck kit from Eastwood. but add at least two more under hood black. then a good delousing with solvent first. attack with putty knife and power wash. then scotch pad and down soap and water then rinse again. then paint. just look at what your painting and put it back as close as you can to that color. they sell a gold cad paint but i have gotten fairly good results with a spray bomb of light gold hit it with a fog of some red and some green then use the silver cad Eastwood paint to tone down everything . then a shot of clear to tie it all together. you can after cleaning up everything spray some clear over the decals. then tape them off before you shot the under hood black. if you don't want to get the Eastwood paint the Sim gloss from ace is close but lacks the highlights of the Eastwood. most of the paints can be put on the steering box master cylinder ext by spraying into the cap and using a artist brush to brush them in. if you do a good clean up things will stick and you'll have a good job. then when you slide the engine in place use the in the cap trick to dab over anything you scar up. it really makes a difference. just thionk about how your put the parts on an dpaint things in that order. you get a drip on something just cover it up with the right color

Attachments

• 1972 siville before and after. engin room.jpg
    1972 siville before and after. engin room.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 1972 ambulance before and after.jpg
    1972 ambulance before and after.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 56
Ed -

Thanks for the tips and great pictures. Can't work on it this weekend since our team is heading to the Super Bowl, Louisiana is pretty "busy".

I am out to do just that: degrease, pressure wash, replace the engine wiring harness, battery tray, and do some re-wiring of the old accessory wires.

I still need to locate a manifold and carb for the new engine as well as exhaust manifolds so it will be a bit before I am ready.

Thanks
Terry

Back