Bought a 1973 Lifeliner!

Bill Leverett

PCS Member/Super Site Supporter/Paramedic Supervis
Couldn't wait any longer to post this. I've been working on the purchase of a 1973 MM Lifeliner since the middle of November 2009. The deal will complete this week and it'll be shipped this week as well.

The vehicle is from Mountain Home Idaho, just south of Boise. It's seen it's entire service in Elmore County and was retired in the mid '80's with 75,000 miles. Went to a "collector's" yard (along with other cars, trucks, tractor, etc.) until the summer. One of the EMS folks in Elmore County has been watching it sit there for a number of years and had previously approached the owner if he'd be willing to sell it. No such luck. Anyway, the "collector" passed away last year and the vehicle was bought by the paramedic out of the estate sale. After some consideration, the paramedic decided that a restoration wasn't in the cards for him right now so it became available. He posted it on the "other" site and I emailed him for pics and price. Later in the day we agreed to a price and conditions. He's been super to deal with and completed the following work: new battery, new water pump, plugs, wires, distributor, rotor, steam cleaned the engine compartment, new timing chain cover gasket, new rad/heater hoses, boiled and painted the rad, 2nd hand (but driveable) tires.

As for the PCS folks involved...thanks a ton. Both for your feedback and for keeping it quiet. Thanks to Paul S. for his always valuable and comprehensive mechanical and collector comments, other Lifeliner owners for their specific knowledge (Richard V., Tony K. & Dean W.), Rick Franklin for offering shipping assistance. A very special thank you goes out to Art Gregory of Boise for taking the time to photograph the vehicle (80+ shots) and view the vehicle. Art did this just before leaving on his Thanksgiving Holidays...I can't say thanks enough. Art even put me in touch with his mechanic who offered to both view and work on the vehicle for me!! Membership most definitely has it's priveledges.

The car will need some work still of course but it's solid and complete...and, sorry for this one Richard, the bumpers are SOLID! Typical Cadillac rust on the front wheel well bottom. Otherwise just surface rust. Apparently Boise is one dry area and the car survived sitting. You'll see an interesting location for the side mounted signs...not sure how this happened.

Here are some pictures...enjoy them as much as I have. I'll post a few more later.

Bill

Attachments

• 1119091421a.jpg
    1119091421a.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 542
  • 1119091422.jpg
    1119091422.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 516
  • 1119091422b.jpg
    1119091422b.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCF9007.jpg
    DSCF9007.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 494
  • DSCF9019.jpg
    DSCF9019.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 559
Congratulations on getting this great piece of Pro Car history. You won't believe what a treat it is to get behind the wheel of this 8000 pound behemoth and cruise down the road. If there is anything else that I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. I am very pleased to see another one saved and inducted into the PCS family of Professional Cars... Don't forget those additional pictures.

congratulations

Bill,
congratulations on the 'new' lifeliner. That is a great looking coach. Hope to see it out on the road somewhere soon.
Mike
61 MM

A few more pics of the '73 Lifeliner

Forgot to mention that the windshield is in good shape as is the rest of the glass. The driver's side service door only opens from the inside and the rear door doesn't open from inside or outside. Given Doug House's issues with his Criterion door, I have lots of suggestions on how to remedy the situation. At least I can access the door panels from the inside.

Attachments

• DSCF9009.jpg
    DSCF9009.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 596
  • DSCF9018.jpg
    DSCF9018.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 419
  • DSCF9004.jpg
    DSCF9004.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 456
  • DSCF9001.jpg
    DSCF9001.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 564
Bill, she's a beauty! Congratulations!

That floor-mounted switch console is an interesting and novel touch. I like it.

I can't wait for the day that you and I take our Miller-Meteors to the road and head to an event. (Of course, I'll have to get Laura to bring the Superior so we can have a real parade!)

Congrats Bill! Even if shes not done, you can still bring her to our show in April. Betwen you, Doug and hopefully Fraser, we can have some neat ambulances there. Im working on getting AMR's 68 Cadillac Superior and hopefully a 66 Cadllac Ambulance from the LeMay collection to show up

Hopefully

Thanks Rick, just have to do some work rescheduling but it should work out OK. Won't be repainted but will be shiny and full of gear.

Well its about time you let the cat out of the bag. CONGRATUALTIONS on another beautiful find. This one appears to be really nice Bill and glad the BUMPERS are in tip top shape. Won't take much to get her on the road and looking good. Surprising what a little elbow grease can do for a car.
Congrats again and make sure you let us know all the details as you go to work on her. I love those Big-Beautiful 184's riding high. :applause:

PS: If the 184's bother you I have a couple air horns I'll trade ya! :yum:

one good old car with a lot of different stuff on it. I don't think I have ever seen a MM with the side signs. I would guess they light up. the high desert has keep it well but I see your shipping a lot of it home to. be surprised what a good bath will do. wonder how they did all the mechanical work and did not disturb the dust? I know there before pictures.

So that is how you load an ambulance without ripping the exhaust off.

1119091422b.jpg

Criterion050.jpg

Congrats on your new car! I'm sure you must be super excited about it. It looks like it's already in pretty good shape too. I can't wait to show it at some meets!

Sarah

Ditto from ca

Bill: I "echo" the thoughts from the others.... "Lifeliners" are amongst the best of the best for styling etc. Having been owned by a County Government it likely had pretty good care and maintenance during it's working career and probably had mostly long-flat freeway "scoop and transport" runs from Mountain Home to Boise and Twin Falls during the pre-life flight days.

This car is rather unique in the fact that it has vani-shades and curtains originally, not to mention the Formica floor in place of linoleum. I would like to see some additional rear interior pictures if you have them.. thanks Paul

attachment.php

Floor doesn't even look used whatsoever... :my2cents: It is wired for a power inverter yet I cannot see an inverter under the hood. Like mine it probably stopped working and was removed. Sure is a sharp rig there Bill!!

Back