Popemobiles

Mike McDonald

PCS Member
I noticed that (all) the "Popemobiles (and Fiats) carry the license plate number of "SVC 1". I assume the "VC" = Vatican City and "1" is for him like Obama's AIR FORCE-1 and MARINE-1. What does the "S" stand for?

I also thought is was a nice extra touch to use the "JEEP-POPEMOBILE" for his 1st visit to the USA. Hopefully "Jeeps" are made here? THX-MM

It is for Vatican City State or State Vatican City and he is #1,remember when John Paul 2 came to Canada his popemobile was destroyed after e left so no one would profit off it believe this still applies but not sure,laughed my a$$ off when I saw the motorcade leave Andrews AFB,the beast all the suburbans and the pope in this fiat with the window down, waving, beep beep.

Remember, Jeep is owned by Chrysler. Chrysler is owned by Fiat. Technically, the Jeep Popemobile is an Italian car.

Our local TV stations, more than once they have been discussing "what will happen to the Fiat 500 the Pope rode in?"

I worked the EMS standby for the Pope parade in DC. We had planned for 100K people (a medium-size event for DC, we are used to larger events). Interestingly, only 25-26K people showed up. After months of planning, the 12 minute parade and small crowd was anticlimactic.

1st pic - the Popemobile in DC, a Jeep, not my photo
2nd pic - my ride for the day, a Gator, with some of my team killing time, not my photo either.

Attachments

• Popemobile.jpg
    Popemobile.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IsabellaKyleDenyAndrew.jpg
    IsabellaKyleDenyAndrew.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
Steve ,same thing when the late John Paul 2 came to Canada,there was so much hype by the media that many people stayed home to watch on TV.wonder what the whole thing cost,your crew looks great and at the ready.P,S, told you all he would give security nightmares,

Last edited:
Thanks. It wasn't a security "nightmare", we actually do this kind of thing all the time with Presidential details. Our group works two such events annually, occasional other events, and the Inauguration. We, and the whole city, are used to this kind of thing. It's just what we do. It only gets "bad" when others are involved outside our "team" who don't do this regularly.

Back