1937 Buick S&S Hearse

I just wanted to let everyone know that I found an old '37 Hearse that has been robbed of most all of it's parts. The car runs fine and has a straight eight motor which appears in good shape - the car has 38000 miles

I stumbled on this car as I was looking for an older hearse between 1960 and 1985 - my intent was to strip the car and make a woody out of it - I am a wood carver and worked in the funeral car industry for 50 some years

This car has the base of an original hand carved sides and a pull out end table which of course is missing - but no matter - I've built a many end loaders, side loaders and many other interior options for Superior, S&S, Eureka, and as recent as Accubuilt in Lima,Ohio -

The last cars that were actually wood was in 1935 - since that time most of them have been cast from aluminum alloys (I'm told)- my intent is to make this car into more wood parts and still try to keep the integrity of the ellegant design of the S&S - we'll see

I'm not very computer literate, but I'm going to try publish some photos as i progress to keep you all posted - it will take a while since all of the wood parts will be hand carved - if any of you have imput you would want to share - please do - you can reach me at dfultz@wcoil.com

if you use one of the photo hosting sites you can put pictures there and add the link to it. I use the Drop shot site sound like a project I would like to see the progress on it

Wood carving

We have a very talented wood carver here in Minnesota. I saw a TV special interest story about the guy on our channel 5 ABC network. The man does very large projects like Sanctuary gates you would see in a orthodox church, all hand carved they are incredible. Now the man is older and training an apprentice. I appreciate your enthusiasm, as I just started a project as well on a new coach and I could use your advice. Hope to be able to call on you sometime. I am not good on the computer either and just taught myself how to operate one in 2006 when I got my first machine. Really are time vampires if you are not paying attention. I would still rather be an old man that doesn't know everthing, than a young man that has all the answers, about every subject under the sun. Really good to have a new restoration to follow. Thank You, for that opportunity to watch a craftsman of your experience. Hope I can learn as much watching your project as I have watching Ed work on iron at his shop.

The last cars that were actually wood was in 1935 - since that time most of them have been cast from aluminum alloys (I'm told)-

Look familiar? This capture sans paint clearly illustrates which items were cast. Happens to be same year, coach builder, and model too. ;)

dsc04449oo.jpg

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Don, congrats on your find! Is it ok if I mention your new car and use the picture you sent Paul in the new issue of the Ohio Chapter newsletter?

Back