Hankook Tires Liked by Cooper Tires Rep

James Fischer

PCS Member
Just bought a set of Hankook tires yesterday for the 72 Superior......P235/75/R15 XL H724.......Whitewalls.....got a pretty good price of $91.00 per tire with
professional "discount" of 10% ...guess the sales writer thought the unit was still in service...and who am I to argue.....:hide:

The Michelins that were taken off were dated 22 week of 1993.....so it was time.....

While I was there waiting a gentleman came over and asked me about the ambulance...he introduced himself as a "rep" for Cooper Tires.....

I thought oh boy here we go..he is going to ask why I bought Hankook instead of Coopers.......
But he did not ask...just commented " good choice of tire" I think you will be happy with them.....they are a little tougher then the Coopers we make to fit your unit".......whatever that meant..I was happy to hear that......you know usually its the other way around.....

While I was driving home I REALLY noticed the smoothness of the ride and also the quitness....so far pretty happy...hope it stays that way.....

I don't like buying 'non-American' products but I have to admit that Hankook tires [Korean brand] are a decent tire for the money. I have a set of snow tires on my 2005 Ford Freestar and they ride really nice with a grip that doesn't quit....BTW, the remark about 'non-American' shows my age. I guess nowadays there's no such thing as 'non-American' because most American brands/things are made somewhere else in the world and assembled here!!

I don't like buying 'non-American' products but I have to admit that Hankook tires [Korean brand] are a decent tire for the money. I have a set of snow tires on my 2005 Ford Freestar and they ride really nice with a grip that doesn't quit....BTW, the remark about 'non-American' shows my age. I guess nowadays there's no such thing as 'non-American' because most American brands/things are made somewhere else in the world and assembled here!!

What tires are still American Made?

Did a Google search to answer the question...

Which Tires Are Made in America?

X
a42d6cb1-dfb7-4402-9c58-5997b5510b66.Small.jpg
Cheryl Teal
Cheryl Teal is an award-winning photojournalist who began writing professionally in 1968. She is a former small-business owner who specializes in writing about business, motorcycles and travel. She has her own line of travel guides called "Cheryl's Guides," which are mostly about travel in China. She holds a Bachelor of Arts in Spanish from Linfield College in McMinnville, Oregon.

By Cheryl Teal, eHow Contributor

Automobile tires

Many brands of tires are still manufactured in the United States despite consolidations in the tire manufacturing world. Some of the tire brands, which were initially made by U.S. companies, are now made by multi-national conglomerates that have manufacturing plants mostly located in the eastern United States. Hoovers, a Dun and Bradstreet company, says, "100 companies make tires in the United States, but four companies---Bridgestone, Michelin, Goodyear and Cooper---account for 75 percent of the $13 billion generated in revenue annually." Other People Are Reading

Read more: Which Tires Are Made in America? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5632049_tires-made-america_.html#ixzz1xGSEeNrr

Speaking of "American" made tires, I just had to add this. I have been making wire guides for Goodyear at work for more years than I care to remember. These are a carbide cylinder that the wire that makes up the steel belts of the tires run through right before they are twisted/woven together. About three months or so ago, all of the Goodyear prints that we work off of no longer had Goodyear at the top of the print. Now, it says Hyosung. The print is the same, the part is the same, etc. So even though they may be made in America, now I am guessing that some Asian company has purchased Goodyear. Just what we need, another good ol' American company owned by a foreign country. And no, I do not get a discount on Goodyear tires, in fact, I just bought a new set for my Pontiac and paid full price--oh wait, that money went to a company overseas.....argh.

For the rest of the story.....

June 10 (Reuters) - Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co has agreed to sell its global wire business to South Korea-based tire reinforcements producer Hyosung Corp for about $50 million.
The business manufactures tire reinforcement wire in Asheboro, North Carolina and Colmar-Berg, Luxembourg and employs about 600 people.
The sale comes five years after Goodyear sold its global tire fabric operations to Hyosung, which has tire reinforcement operations in in Brazil, China, Luxembourg, Vietnam and the U.S.
The sale of the wire business is not expected to result in a significant gain or loss, Goodyear, the largest tire maker in the U.S., said in a statement on Friday.
The two companies will sign a multi-year supply agreement after the closing of the deal, which is expected to take place in the third quarter.
Akron, Ohio-based Goodyear's shares closed at $16.06 on Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange. (Reporting by Vaishnavi Bala in Bangalore; Editing by Savio D'Souza)

Well, Paul, that explains it then. Thanks--you answered a question no one at work could. I asked people in the office at work, they just shook their heads and said they didn't know what had happened. Incidentally, some of the prints are from the plants in Asheboro, NC and some of them are from Germany, so it certainly all makes sense now.

A lot of things I have been making for years will have different company names on them as time goes by. The part stays the same, the company name keeps changing. I guess thats what they call "progress".

I found those Hankook P235/75/R15 XL H724 WW tires at Wal-Mart, Tire Rack only has a listing for the H727 in that size. Well, I'm going to have to stick with what I have for now - the BW tires look good, even though the sidewall is "Busy" with all sorts of modern writing and decorations.

Attachments

• 1974 Superior Cadillac 3-Way.jpg
    1974 Superior Cadillac 3-Way.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 878
From what my friend told me who owns a tire shop there are five companies that make tires in the world with 103 brands mfg by these companies. I don't know how true it is but when my Cooper blew out and tore up the front of my Lincoln, they sent me a FISK tire as a replacement and a check to fix my car without admitting any fault of the tire.

From what my friend told me who owns a tire shop there are five companies that make tires in the world with 103 brands mfg by these companies. I don't know how true it is but when my Cooper blew out and tore up the front of my Lincoln, they sent me a FISK tire as a replacement and a check to fix my car without admitting any fault of the tire.

I didnt even know the Fisk name was still around! They are a very old brand name.

Back