Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Default Cruise Michigan Avenue Emergency Vehicle Display

Yesterday I participated in the Cruise Michigan Avenue Emergency Vehicle Display at the Dearbort Heights, MI Justice Centre. While the display was primarily police vehicles, there were 3 pro cars as well as a police patrol wagon/ambulance. Besides my 73 Lifeliner there was a 67 M-M Cadillac Volunteer, owned by Superior Ambulance and a 1949 Chev Ambulance. The police patrol wagon/ambulance was a 1963 Plymouth station wagon. The vehicle actually was a former Detroit PD unit. Up to 1972, the police wagons carried two emergency cots and did a lot of the ambulance calls in Detroit. This vehicle is restored to it's 1963 state, except for the 500 cubic inch, 450 horse Mopar crate motor under the hood. This vehicle originally had a 318 cu in engine.

Note the green flashing headlight. Superior Ambulance is headquartered in the Chicago area and has operations in the Detroit area.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Dean Wilkinson

Default 1963 Plymouth Wagon

Old 07-12-2009, 08:18 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,449 Times in 6,111 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

leave it to them cops to want to go faster. the 318 would have made it nicer to use in parades and things like this. nice shots thanks.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:50 AM
PCS Member / Funeral Director

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pizza Doctor

If you know, where has the pizza doctor car been?? We use to see him in Brighton for parades and shows and have not seen him for awhile.
Also, I had the chance to view the Detroit PD wagon at the Jackson fire muster this year and it is a SWEET vehicle.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,144 Times in 2,350 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Wilkinson View Post
Nice pictures Dean. I know Brady did not use ambulances like this in his business back in the day but, seeing that "SUPERIOR" on the side certainly reminds me of the day seeing Darwin and Brady flying through the streets of Flint running calls.

Thanks Dean, see you next month.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:32 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,731 Times in 3,847 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Darwin???????? as in Charles Darwin. I knew he was old, but never thought that he was that old...
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM
President MotorCity Chapter

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Pizza Doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Kelley View Post
If you know, where has the pizza doctor car been?? We use to see him in Brighton for parades and shows and have not seen him for awhile.
Also, I had the chance to view the Detroit PD wagon at the Jackson fire muster this year and it is a SWEET vehicle.
Doug I see that car at one of their Stores in Troy.

Russ
Old 07-13-2009, 02:38 PM
President MotorCity Chapter

Groans: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Superior Ambulance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Vyse View Post
Nice pictures Dean. I know Brady did not use ambulances like this in his business back in the day but, seeing that "SUPERIOR" on the side certainly reminds me of the day seeing Darwin and Brady flying through the streets of Flint running calls.

Thanks Dean, see you next month.
If This is The Same Superior Ambulance service from roseville I am Surprised You Could take Pictures or EVEN LOOK AT THE CAR.
I went to their Office In Roseville and Asked to take a Picture(s) of their Cadillac Ambulance. The Secretary was Snotty and Said The Manager would make a decision. I went back and they said "NO ONE TAKES PICTURES OF ANY OF THEIR VEHICLES. EQUIPMENT. OR STATIONS.

Russ
Old 07-13-2009, 03:12 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 7,725 Times in 2,085 Posts
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dalziel View Post
... they said "NO ONE TAKES PICTURES OF ANY OF THEIR VEHICLES. EQUIPMENT. OR STATIONS.Russ
I encountered that once in the '80s when I lived in Oklahoma. I worked for EMSA, the EMS service in Tulsa. Occasionally, we went to Oklahoma City, where the EMS service was then AmCare. On the way back after a transport, I stopped by AmCare's offices (in an EMSA unit), and asked to take photos of their units. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that it was not allowed. This was from an AmCare supervisor who was a friend of mine, I was in an EMSA unit, and neither one competed with the other as we were both city Public Utility services in our respective cities 100 miles apart. Grrr.

I really would have liked pictures of their big ambulance-bus, and of their postal-jeep supervisor's vehicle (really) but was not to be.

After I left, EMSA absorbed AmCare, so that's that.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Website Member

Thanked 7,144 Times in 2,350 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Dalziel View Post
If This is The Same Superior Ambulance service from roseville I am Surprised You Could take Pictures or EVEN LOOK AT THE CAR.
I went to their Office In Roseville and Asked to take a Picture(s) of their Cadillac Ambulance. The Secretary was Snotty and Said The Manager would make a decision. I went back and they said "NO ONE TAKES PICTURES OF ANY OF THEIR VEHICLES. EQUIPMENT. OR STATIONS.

Russ
Hey, don't plan on taking any pictures of my rig at the meet. I'll get back to you!!!!
Closed Thread