Hey Steve... Emergency Fan....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be an EMERGENCY fan and wonder why in the shows the paramedics always ask to start an iv. If the Doctor thinks they need an iv I'm sure they would let John and Roy know. Just got all 5 seasons and watched through season 3.

Richard

Most of the medications we paramedics administer go through the IV, as well as giving fluid if they need fluid replacement (bleeding, shock, etc.). So an IV is necessary frequently. Back in the days of "Emergency!", paramedics were new and not completely trusted, so it was the days of "mother-may-I". They had to call in and request permission for everything they did on every call. Training was new, and none of them had experience as a paramedic as the programs were just starting. Asking for a treatment is a sign that you know what you are treating and you know what you want to do; waiting for the doc to tell you is a sign you have no idea what is going on and you are just looking to be told, generally not a good idea (unless it's something unusual and you really do have no idea what is going on). So that's how it was done in the '70's.

By the mid-'80's (after the run of the show), most paramedics had better training and more experience. The doctors were more comfortable with the idea of paramedics performing skills independently based on their training and experience. So most EMS systems developed stronger standing protocols - a book that basically says that, in this situation, you do this, etc. So now, paramedics do their assessment and treatment based on the protocols, and usually only call the hospital to tell them what was done. Only in limited situations do we have to call and ask.

That learning curve was shown well on the show. After all, you only need Dr. Brackett yelling at you over the radio, "ZAP HIM, DAMMIT, ZAP HIM!!!" once, to learn to do it on your own the next time! :eek:

Dixie McCall

In real life Dixie McCall portrayed by Julie London, the former Mrs. Jack Webb was married to Bobby Troup, who played a doctor named Joe Early.

Jack Webb was executive producer too....must have been an interesting set!:eek:

In real life Dixie McCall portrayed by Julie London, the former Mrs. Jack Webb was married to Bobby Troup, who played a doctor named Joe Early.

Jack Webb was executive producer too....must have been an interesting set!:eek:

I remember in the first show Dr. Brackett and RN McCall were kind of hot and heavy but went no where. That would explain why Julie London and Bobby Troup have their cremated remains in a niche next to one another. I'm really getting into these shows and tell my wife we need a fire truck now!

PS: Thanks Paul for moving this thread.

I remember in the first show Dr. Brackett and RN McCall were kind of hot and heavy but went no where. That would explain why Julie London and Bobby Troup have their cremated remains in a niche next to one another. I'm really getting into these shows and tell my wife we need a fire truck now!

PS: Thanks Paul for moving this thread.

Does this mean that you will be sharing your computer time with us and the people at SPAMFAA ????? ;)

Dixie McCall R.N.

As a twelve or thirteen year old, I had an ENORMOUS crush on Dixie. For me puberty and the way Dixie fit into those whites just was perfect! Unfortunately the show had an effect on me given my obsession for chasing nurses and the onset of my "Gage Syndrome". I had an advanced case as I went onto start marrying the nurses.:(

As a twelve or thirteen year old, I had an ENORMOUS crush on Dixie. For me puberty and the way Dixie fit into those whites just was perfect! Unfortunately the show had an effect on me given my obsession for chasing nurses and the onset of my "Gage Syndrome". I had an advanced case as I went onto start marrying the nurses.:(

It is obvious that your dat never told you about short term borrowing in place of long time purchasing?????:rolleyes:

Emergency convention

Paul:

You are missing an "A" in SPAAMFAA for those interested in converting to "firetruckism".

(*) It's probably been 10 years ago now, but an EMERGENCY TV SERIES Reunion or Convention was hosted in Burbank by the late James O. "Jim" Page who was a PCS / SPAAMFAA Club Member, a very good friend of mine, who was an LA County Fire Battalion Chief at the time "loaned" to Jack Webb to assure the shows authenticity and later considered the "Father of the Paramedic System as we know it today".

Lou Farah and Kevin O'Connell as I recall were also (very) instumental in putting the event together with Jim. As I recall all of the (still living) main actors were there at the show along with Squad and E-51. I was absolutely amazed at the time of the the show's following..... there was "EMERGENCY ADDICTS" there from all over the world along with testimonials of people who had watched the show as kids and later became paramedics all over the country because of it. MM

Mike, yes, the Burbank reunion was in 1998.

A similar event was held on the East Coast in 2000 as part of Project 51, which accompanied some of the artifiacts from the show being donated to the Smithsonian in Washington, DC. Jim Page was similarly involved in this. By then, Bobby Troupe had passed away and Julie London was not doing well. Cast members Mantooth (Johnny), Donnelley (Chet), Lopez (Marco), Stoker (Mike), and Pinkard (Dr. Morton) all were in attendance, as was Squad 51. For the main public event, at the Hyattsville VFD station, over 5000 people attended from all along the East Coast and Canada. It was amazing the fan base that still exists!

Dixie and her whites

At The EMS Museum in Essex Len has a Mannequin of a Nurse in White Dress and cape. I told My Wife ( Who has Been an RN for Many Years & Is now a Nurse Practitioner) That Is a Real Nurse. She Smacked Me LOL

Russ

That is what real nurses always did.... smack the patient when they were not co-operative. Glad to hear that Nurse Ratchett is alive and well, and married to such a nice guy. :D

Me a Patient

That is what real nurses always did.... smack the patient when they were not co-operative. Glad to hear that Nurse Ratchett is alive and well, and married to such a nice guy. :D

I have Been a Patient But never with My wife as the Nurse Her Friends from the E/R were the ones to take care of me.

Thanks Paul I need all the HELP I Can GET LOL

Russ

Paul, I think you are confused again. Both of these professions give uh, care, but nurses wear white. Dominatrixes wear black, smack you and cost a lot more money for one on one care!

Just found out...

I get a kick out of watching this show and now pay attention to the time when the rig goes out on a call. While John and Roy are doing their stuff pay closer attention to their watches and see what the ACTUAL time is. Kind of funny. Call goes out at 8:05 a.m. but their watch says 3:31 p.m..

Richard

Gas prices...

I've also noticed how gas prices keep going up in the show from the first year at 0.38 cents to now 0.51 cents in the fourth season.

I've also noticed how gas prices keep going up in the show from the first year at 0.38 cents to now 0.51 cents in the fourth season.

Okay Richard, you are spending WAY TOO MUCH time watching these episodes. As many times as I have seen these, I have never noticed those details.

I get a kick out of watching this show and now pay attention to the time when the rig goes out on a call. While John and Roy are doing their stuff pay closer attention to their watches and see what the ACTUAL time is. Kind of funny. Call goes out at 8:05 a.m. but their watch says 3:31 p.m..Richard
The firehouse wall clock (in the Cap's office) also doesn't match, but you rarely see it. Also, whenever someone asks "What's your ETA?" (estimated time of arrival, as in 'how long until you get here?'), Johnny always looks at his watch before he replies. What difference does it make what time it is right now to figure out how long it will take you to get somewhere? There's never rush-hour traffic in "Emergencyland".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back