'77 M-M Combo Back For Another Go

If I remember Dan Herrick correctly, it was white crinkle over red body, brown front and Omaha orange rear interior, which sounds like it wasn't destined for too much funeral work...

Interesting since M/M ordered 10 sets of jump seats per year for 1977,1978 and 1979. Per Tom Caserta, only 5 sets were used in 1979 and the remaining 5 sets were sold off to Superior after the M/M plant closed.

The 79 Landau Traditional combination would look very nice in that color!

Here are some photos from my Miller-Meteor archives that I hope will be helpful. The first two are of a white over red 1977 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Classic combination. As you can see, the interior harmonizes with the exterior. I would be amazed if there was more than one built with this color combination, but stranger things have happened... Note also that this car has a 3/4 roof treatment. I don't ever remember seeing this treatment on a '77 M-M limo style, so it could very well have been redone (prior to initial delivery) into the full-crinkle scheme.

The third photo shows a dark blue 1977 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Classic limousine, but this one was a straight hearse. This car was offered for sale back in the '90s by American Coach. It had a solid body, but very rusty undercarriage. It was my understanding that this is the body that was swapped onto a solid chassis, making two cars into the one Kent has restored. This blue car had a brown interior.

Attachments

• 77_red.jpg
    77_red.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 152
  • 77 red_int.jpg
    77 red_int.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 77 Blue.jpg
    77 Blue.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 153
Probably going to get the light off this week... so snapped a few more...

Attachments

• 77 M M 12-17 7.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 7.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 127
  • 77 M M 12-17 8.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 8.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 126
  • 77 M M 12-17 9.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 9.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 125
Probably going to get the light off this week... so snapped a few more...

Why take the light off??? I like it with, but for my taste a 17 or 170 series Beacon would look much better. Love what you've done with this car, it is beautiful!! Very close to the color we'd like to put on our '64. Fine work.

Why take the light off??? I like it with, but for my taste a 17 or 170 series Beacon would look much better. Love what you've done with this car, it is beautiful!! Very close to the color we'd like to put on our '64. Fine work.

........... but, I love your '64 just as it is.

Aye Russell... thanks for comments, I bought the demountable beacon and when it came time to wire it up, there was a maze of wires that I couldn't make sense out of... so the body man who did the work was also a volunteer fireman and he volunteered to mount and hook up the light, the wail didn't work on the siren control unit, and the yelp quit the day I took it to the body shop. He took one of his own siren control units and installed it for me.
I wanted to be able to show it as a combination, but for day in day out driving through the community, I am surrounded by people have who don't remember the days combinations ruled the roost here (that service by funeral homes stopped here in October 1973) and so most see it as... Ghostbusters... I am supersensitive to people hollering Ghostbusters to something like this car... being the funeral home in the community - it will cause less stir and comment to just be seen as a neat old limousine style hearse.... I am also anxious to look at it's lines and design without the light on it...
(and, it will only fit in one of 3 garage doors with the light on, in that rear area, it is a TIGHT fit to get the 2 middle cars in, as I have 7 cars packed into a 6 car garage...)
In reference to the 184 Power light being used over a Beacon Ray, I think almost every 77-79 era I remember had a Beacon Ray on it, but the 184 Powerlight was out and getting to be used more widely at this point, in my hometown, the last thing I can remember having a Beacon Ray mounted was a 1971 Ford LTD police car (and that's BLUE in North Carolina)... so 1977 I was thinking of what was available and that a Powerlight could have been used on those models. )

Last edited:
Kent, I think your final result is striking!
With respect to friends on the board I think the 184 suits the timeframe perfectly. The clear dome also goes very well with the silver body colour.

Powerlight removed, fully hearseatized...

Attachments

• 77 M M 12-17 10.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 10.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 77 M M 12-17 11.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 11.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 77 M M 12-17 12.jpg
    77 M M 12-17 12.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 175
Kent, what can I say, she looks beautiful. I am sitting here, remembering my 78 M-M limo-style hearse, which I believe you were really in love with. I guess you are officially now in hearse-heaven, with this coach.

Kent, what can I say, she looks beautiful. I am sitting here, remembering my 78 M-M limo-style hearse, which I believe you were really in love with. I guess you are officially now in hearse-heaven, with this coach.

Thanks Bill, I think this may be my all time #1 dream coach... having recently lost the #2 all time dream coach, this is some consolation. I am really pleased with how it turned out, I appreciate you and Dan filling in some gaps, and others who helped with parts and offers of assistance.

One of ten 1977 M/M Combinations, Not sure how many were of the limousine style. Ten total combinations in 1978 and five total combinations in 1979.

I just re-checked McPherson's Miller/Meter book. There is no mention of the number of limousine style and landau style coaches produced during the 77-79 years.

I sure would be interested in that information as well as how many still exist.

I just re-checked McPherson's Miller/Meter book. There is no mention of the number of limousine style and landau style coaches produced during the 77-79 years.

I sure would be interested in that information as well as how many still exist.

I meant to say the number of COMBINATION coaches of limousine style and landau style for each of the 77-79 years.

Back