Mars 888

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
What is the difference in visual effect between a Mars 888 with a red lens versus an 888 with a red bulb and clear lens? Which looks better when operating?

Not much difference, I think the red lens looks a little brighter than the red bulb. I tried a higher wattage bulb behind a red lens and it looked almost orange. My favorite is the clear lens with the bulb that has the extended sides that are red, but clear to the front.

Paul,
You mean a red spotlight bulb, correct?

It is all a matter of personal preference. I like the clear bulb with a clear lens. The light is a PAR 36 bulb fixture, so you have lots of choices of bulbs that will fit in. I suggest that you experiment until you find the bulb and color combination that you like. The raised bulbs came in red, blue, green, and amber on the outer edges, with a clear spotlight in the front.

Attachments

• MVC-016L.JPG
    MVC-016L.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 295
^After learning differences from Paul previously, I'm agreeing with him. :hide:

945739_10151637125833221_1621082572_n.jpg

It is all a matter of personal preference. I like the clear bulb with a clear lens. The light is a PAR 36 bulb fixture, so you have lots of choices of bulbs that will fit in. I suggest that you experiment until you find the bulb and color combination that you like. The raised bulbs came in red, blue, green, and amber on the outer edges, with a clear spotlight in the front.

Paul, do u have any extras like the one pictured??to sell?

I had the bulbs Paul is talking about in my MARS lights. Mine had clear lenses, so they looked mostly white, but with a hint of red from the side. I had also painted the inside of the enclosures red, to accentuate the red part of the bulbs.

It's not the best quality video, but you can get an idea of what it looked like by watching this:

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5S52VBiQw[/ame]

Obviously, the MARS lights are the ones directly above the headlights...

What color do you want the "bouncing beam" to be?

If red, use a clear Par 36 bulb behind a red lens. If clear, use the same bulb behind a clear lens.

As far as actually clearing traffic, there is no question about the clear beam being more effective.

This is really just a question of red bulb behind a clear lens versus clear bulb behind a red lens. Which of the 2 looks more impressive. I want a red beam.

I wasn't that impressed with red bulbs behind clear lenses. I never had red lenses, so I've never done a direct comparison of the two, but clear/clear was much more spectacular than red/clear, so I went with that.

This is really just a question of red bulb behind a clear lens versus clear bulb behind a red lens. Which of the 2 looks more impressive. I want a red beam.

then it would depend on how you wanted it to look when it was off. there would be no difference when on.

I've always thought if you want a red light, it should have a red lens. Everything else seems like a compromise to me. I know there are reasons for a clear dome on beacons, but I've always thought they looked more impressive with red domes if your circumstances provide for it. Same goes for 888 lights, just a pet peeve of mine. I don't remember exactly why I ran mine clear, but I know I had a reason for it. Maybe due to the lack of availability of red 888 lenses, or the fact that I already had a lot of forward facing red lights. Steve is right though, the all clear 888 is VERY annoying to anyone in its path, which I suppose means it is doing its job.

I had a Mars 888 on one of my coaches years ago. It had a clear lense with a 4509 (aircraft landing light) that we had dyed green. WOW, did that baby clear traffic!!! It also got me a meeting with Sandusky P.D. where I was advised that green was not a recognized color in the State of Ohio and that it would be removed IMMEDIATELY!!!!

Speaking of 4509 bulbs, I also installed 1 in each 176 Beacon (clear bulbs, red PLASTIC domes). Made the first run with them , got to the hospital, shut everything down, came back out and found a neat little hole in each dome where they were aimed when they had stopped rotating.

Ya win some, and ya lose some!!!

Back