Under Hood Siren

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I have received a B&M S8 siren with the intent to instaling it under the hood of my 67, however, I can not find any space for it!!!!!

I looked at where Richard installed his ([ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccU3Qy5dGY[/ame]), but there is no space on the Pontiac.

Does anyone have any suggestioins or pictures of where their under hood sirens are?

I have received a B&M S8 siren with the intent to instaling it under the hood of my 67, however, I can not find any space for it!!!!!

I looked at where Richard installed his (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kccU3Qy5dGY), but there is no space on the Pontiac.

Does anyone have any suggestioins or pictures of where their under hood sirens are?

Jean-marc pm me with Your information on Your siren

Russ

Sometimes you can't find a good place to mount it because there is no place to attach it to. In these cases, you need to make a platform to mount the siren to. If there is no physical space to fit the siren, the you are just out of luck. Where there is a will there is a way. It is up to you to find the way, since you have the car in front of you, and we don't. To get the siren into my 1963 Pinner Chrysler, I had to remove the grille first, mount the siren, and then reinstall the grille. There was no other way to do this. The body builder did install a siren platform behind the grille to accommodate the mechanical siren.

I had the grill removed last night. No luck there. I have a couple of other ideas, just have to move things to get to cavities to see if it fits.

Frame Horns

I have seen them mounted on outside ends of the left or right frame rail horns too..... although not ideal and takes a special (custom made) mounting bracket and possibly some tinware modifications to the inner fender for clearance..... like Paul said where there is a will there is a way! If there is room, mounting it in back of the grille would obviously be better and better protected.

I have also seen them mounted protruding thru the grille mostly with fire departments...... probably done at the same time having cutting practice training mounting fire extinguishers vertically in the fenders! MM

mouting the siren

On my 61 MM the under hood platform was already in place. I just had to drill a couple new holes to accomodate the Federal mount. I have about 1/2 inch between the back of the siren body (motor) and the front of the radiator. In the front the airhorn just touched a grill stiffener cross rod. Not a lot of room, just enough. Sit back, drink a beer or whatever you favorite beverage is and look at what you have to work with. Is there room to mount the siren side ways? So it is in line with the grill instead of facing the grill. I have heard some members had to do that to get a siren under the hood.
Good luck,
Mike

I did take the grill apart again this evening, but the siren does not fit. I have a transmission cooler and an electric fan in the space between the radiator and the grill which limits the space both horizontally & vertically.

I guess that the B&M will have to go under the hood, not between the gill and the radiator.

the caddys had the room. the poncho is a bit tight for any of that the only place I can this of would be behind the head lights. on which ever side the battery is not. you may end up cutting the radiator support out and letting it stick behind the head lights on the inerfender. if you do that you might make it if I remember them right they had a lot of space to the outside there. if you just can't get it I'll take it off your hands. bet I can get it mounted in a 72 olds.:thumbsup:

Whats with the electric fan? That car shouldn't need an additional cooling fan if everything is working properly. Usually, adding an electrical fan is nothing more but a band aid approach to not repairing the underlying causes of the problem.
Would there be room for the siren if the electric fan were removed? Relocating the transmission cooler shouldn't be much of a problem.

Concealed whistles on Superior/Pontiacs of this vintage were usually mounted in one of two places. A siren with a 6" rotor or smaller (#28 or #76), on a single-battery car, was usually mounted under the hood, next to the fender and behind the radiator on the curbside (opposite of the battery). On a dual-battery car, they were mounted behind the front bumper on the curbside. Sirens with 8" or larger rotors (B&M, C4, or Q1) were usually mounted behind the bumper.

Whats with the electric fan? That car shouldn't need an additional cooling fan if everything is working properly. Usually, adding an electrical fan is nothing more but a band aid approach to not repairing the underlying causes of the problem.

I don't know about Jean-Marc, but in my case I added electric fans because I spend a lot of time cruising at events at slow speeds or in traffic, and the temperature starts to creep up. The electric fans bring it back down to normal. I never have to use them at normal driving speeds.

Concealed whistles on Superior/Pontiacs of this vintage were usually mounted in one of two places. A siren with a 6" rotor or smaller (#28 or #76), on a single-battery car, was usually mounted under the hood, next to the fender and behind the radiator on the curbside (opposite of the battery). On a dual-battery car, they were mounted behind the front bumper on the curbside. Sirens with 8" or larger rotors (B&M, C4, or Q1) were usually mounted behind the bumper.

the big one would then sit lower then the grill mounted flush with the bottom of the bumper in the center v. one would have to put it up from the bottom. instead of working from the top down. set it on a floor jack and see if there is room to do it that way.

Also, based on my personal experience, for a collector vehicle that is not in use for emergencies a siren mounted under the hood wherever it would fit is PLENTY loud enough for parade/show use. It just depends on how correct you want to be. If you just want to be able to make some noise when someone yells at you to "hit the siren" it will be more than sufficient if it is mounted anywhere on the vehicle that is open to the outside air.

Today was the day where I was going to install my B&M S8. I took the front valance along with the driver side grill off and started to look at options again. I cut brackets, tried this, tried that, there was just not enough space. The horns were in the way....hey wait a minute.....what if I remove the horns....

There you go. Horns removed, drilled a hole for the U bolt bracket that Kevin sent me et voila!! The S8 is now in place. I’ll just have to find another location for the horns, but I think that this will work.

I gave the siren a try, and let me tell you that it is loud. I can’t wait for this summer so that I can go head to head with the local FD to see who’s got the loudest siren.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sirem mounting

Nice job,:thumbsup: but you may not hear it over any Qs that are on many firetrucks. When I put my Q on both of my 69 combos, I had to move the condensor back and bring the grille foward and find an oversized shoehorn to get it in there. When I fire it up, I know it was worth the hassle.:D Where there's a will there's a way or a lawyer.:bonk:

Ummm....errr....because they were original factory equipment and certain people on this forum get REALLY cranky if you remove original equipment??? :yum:

Just sayin'....!!!

You don't need horns when you have a siren... :hide: Who you calling "cranky"???? :argueing:

never see one yet that they did not move the horns on. not a lot of trouble to find a space to put them. I have to say I'm disappointed that you got it in. you were supposed to get discouraged and let me have it for 10 bucks.( if you going to dream do it big) . it dosen't take a lot of hold one but it looks like that will do the job nicly.

Back