Lessons from Ft. Wayne, worth repeating...

Kent Dorsey

PCS Member / Funeral Director
I was fairly new to the hobby in 1995 when I attended my first meet in Fort Wayne. I met many new PCS friends who were willing to lend advice on these neat vehicles. I got advice from one PCS member that would seem to be common sense, while I have held closely to the advice since then, human nature can be that we want to be able to trust other people, and we can let our guard down.

The advice was this, if you have a car lead, a car find, a barn find, a dealer find, whatever it is... you will limit problems if you keep it to yourself. Telling someone what you are on the trail of only increases the chances of disaster. If you are onto a car, and have to sell another one (sometimes on the spur of the moment) to clear garage room (or so the wife won't file for divorce) be extra careful of those interested in your car you may sell WHO ASK what you are chasing.

For what it's worth, after the disaster happens, about the only thing you can do after licking your wounds, is vow to keep quiet to the offender (and maybe those within their orbit) any leads on neat barn finds, or what you know that dwells within the funeral home garages across your region when they become available.

After 25 years of this hobby, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what, these are hunks of metal. They have no heart, no soul and won't know the difference who owns them. The thing in our lives that does matter are actual folks in our families - and close friends, and to a lot of us here, the close companionship, love and dedication from furry friends who accept us - flaws and all. So within those thoughts, I will move on and enjoy the company of the wife and kitties tonight and put a "disaster" behind me.

But, for those of you trusting souls out there and I know you exist, I am simply passing along, a 1995 lesson from Fort Wayne that I failed to heed, thinking I was talking with a friend.

Kent,
Many of us have been burned, in some similar way, by this same individual.

We tend to get overly excited about our "discoveries" on occasion and, understandably, get anxious to share these findings with those we consider to be "friends". I fall into this condition frequently. These can be painful lessons. It's not the loss of the addition to your fleet that hurts the most.......... it's the loss of trust in someone that you had (previously) considered to be a friend.

I'm pretty much in the but me if you want. But everyone will know about it tomorrow kind of guy. They are just cars in the long run it's cactur that count's. The man I was getting part from till that priced them selves out of my market told me one that all your going to do is make it way up and pass it on. I just told him no you start doing that to people in the club you will lose friends in a hurry. Just do the favor and pass things on. The thing is there is never just one Car out there. Another one will show up. But the true gem is in helping a friend :thumbsup:

Was this the coach that you were attempting to buy Kent??

Attachments

• '96 Park Lane.jpg
    '96 Park Lane.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 354
That coach is a stunning example of a limousine style on a Lincoln chassis. Who is the coach builder?

Found two discussions about these beautiful Lincolns on the website, including additional pictures. Assuming that this was a PCS member, since the original post was made in the PCS Members only forum, I know I sure would be ticked off if this underhanded situation happened to me by another PCS friend. I just can't imagine a PCS member doing such a despicable thing to another PCS member.

Link 1

Link 2

Thanks for calls, emails, and the lone carrier pigeon that brought messages of support... :thumbsup:

Please send my carrier pigeon back. I have another assignment for the pigeon to deliver another message.... If you have ever lived or visited in New York City, you will understand. :myopinion:

This post below sums it up best.

Kent,
Many of us have been burned, in some similar way, by this same individual.

We tend to get overly excited about our "discoveries" on occasion and, understandably, get anxious to share these findings with those we consider to be "friends". I fall into this condition frequently. These can be painful lessons. It's not the loss of the addition to your fleet that hurts the most.......... it's the loss of trust in someone that you had (previously) considered to be a friend.

I will say if someone has something you wish to purchase one has to be ready to move on the deal also. I have loss a number of things because the timing for me was just not right, funds or space or personal things. do to my heal dragging the seller moved the car to some one ready to buy. I always clocked them up to life. Even doged the bullet on a couple that were a pretty face with a rotted spot or two hidden behind it. Been a number of times I have wished someone would show up with a truck and haul away all but one so I could enjoy it.

With the recent publication, this issue was stirred again and I appreciate the calls and emails... thanks everyone...

Back