1997 Lincoln Hearse

Not only looks better than the Cadillacs of the era but has a just about bullet proof mechanics. Remember the taxi industries favorite ride the Crown Victoria and the Town Car are brothers mechanicly The classic square look will (pardon the pun) never die.

I know its an older coach, but at least from the picture posted it seems like you could replace the wheels with something less "busy", like steel wheels with flat wheel covers and black wall tires and run it today and it wouldn't look out of place.

how can the Lincoln with factory wheels look out of place? I have not been a fan of any of the wheels being crammed down our throat buy manufactures in the last 20 years. but what your saying is put a set of mid 70s steel wheels and full covers on would look better. I agree. but if I was in the business this car polished up would be so much better looking then anything new I could over look the wheels. we say that now so why were they not more popular when it was new? Image is why. the caddy has a richer image in your mind, the Lincoln is a step down.

aha yes suggestive advertising it worked then and is working now

how can the Lincoln with factory wheels look out of place? I have not been a fan of any of the wheels being crammed down our throat buy manufactures in the last 20 years. but what your saying is put a set of mid 70s steel wheels and full covers on would look better. I agree. but if I was in the business this car polished up would be so much better looking then anything new I could over look the wheels. we say that now so why were they not more popular when it was new? Image is why. the caddy has a richer image in your mind, the Lincoln is a step down.

aha yes suggestive advertising it worked then and is working now

If Cadillac had so much better image, then why did Lincoln literally blow away Cadillac in sales volume from 1993 to 1996, when the RWD Fleetwood, Fleetwood Brougham were competing with the Lincoln Town Cars? Unfortunately, the '93 thru '96 Cadillac Fleetwood styling was not well received.

In 1994, Cadillac produced 27,473 Fleetwoods and Fleetwood Broughams combined. In that same year, Lincoln produced 120,121 Lincoln Town Cars.

I'm just saying the rest of the lines/styling of the car hold up well, the wheels are dated, even though that's what came on the car, they look dated. If it had something similar to newer wheels most people wouldn't immediately know it was 20 years old.

Take the picture above and put your thumbs over the wheels and tires. Looks more modern already, doesn't it?

Kurt - While you may be correct about Lincoln out-selling Cadillac with opassenger cars during the years 1993-1996 (i'd have to check your statistics), as far as professional cars are concerned, S&S and Superior sold, built and delivered 204 Lincoln-based professional cars in 1993-1996. There were 104 Superior-branded Lincoln coaches and exactly 100 that bore the S&S nameplate. By contrast, during this same four year period, the company delivered 2,238 Cadillac Fleetwood-based S&S and Superior funeral cars. I would say, from a professional vehicle standpoint, that Cadillac managed to retain its industry leadership handily. In the professional car arena, Lincoln has never been a major player. Yes, they are now a more significant participant than ever before but, they still are a second choice for the majority of funeral service professionals. Cadillac has managed to maintain its leadership and continues to easily out-sell Lincoln in the professional vehicle field. As you didn't seek my opinion, I am herein simply relating statistically verifiable facts.

Kurt - While you may be correct about Lincoln out-selling Cadillac with opassenger cars during the years 1993-1996 (i'd have to check your statistics), as far as professional cars are concerned, S&S and Superior sold, built and delivered 204 Lincoln-based professional cars in 1993-1996. There were 104 Superior-branded Lincoln coaches and exactly 100 that bore the S&S nameplate. By contrast, during this same four year period, the company delivered 2,238 Cadillac Fleetwood-based S&S and Superior funeral cars. I would say, from a professional vehicle standpoint, that Cadillac managed to retain its industry leadership handily. In the professional car arena, Lincoln has never been a major player. Yes, they are now a more significant participant than ever before but, they still are a second choice for the majority of funeral service professionals. Cadillac has managed to maintain its leadership and continues to easily out-sell Lincoln in the professional vehicle field. As you didn't seek my opinion, I am herein simply relating statistically verifiable facts.

and in the years 1986 to 1989, Lincoln professional cars were built in extremely fewer numbers

and in the years 1986 to 1989, Lincoln professional cars were built in extremely fewer numbers

You're right Rick. In fact, according to available statistics, in 1989 S&S/Superior of Ohio built only 28 Lincoln-based coaches: 15 as Superiors and an additional 13 as S&S coaches.

Once again, available data with regard to Lincoln professional vehicle sales reveals that the company delivered 5 in 1992, 38 in 1993, 45 in 1994, 38 in 1995, and 78 in 1996. Respectable but, not particularly large numbers by any stretch. Especially when compared with comparable statistics for Cadillac-based professional vehicle production.

I agree with all of you. I am fan of all Lincolns. Cadillac based coaches were more prevalent but Lincoln dominated the VIP limousine market (still a pro-car). Another reason for the large number of Town Cars sold was Ford's stake in Hertz as they put many Town Cars in the rental fleet and rolled them out quickly as program cars at deeply discounted prices with factory warranties.

This coach would be a great one to stash away! Last year of that body style(my personal favorite) and a great color combo! Better looking than any '93-'96 Fleetwood-based coach! I even love the factory rims that are on it.

I would like to own a nice Lincoln...but, I should build a pole barn first....too many cars, too little room. Whomever buys this one, will be getting a nice coach.

You're right Rick. In fact, according to available statistics, in 1989 S&S/Superior of Ohio built only 28 Lincoln-based coaches: 15 as Superiors and an additional 13 as S&S coaches.

Once again, available data with regard to Lincoln professional vehicle sales reveals that the company delivered 5 in 1992, 38 in 1993, 45 in 1994, 38 in 1995, and 78 in 1996. Respectable but, not particularly large numbers by any stretch. Especially when compared with comparable statistics for Cadillac-based professional vehicle production.

Joe Bunn of Accubuilt told me that in 1986, S&S produced 4 Lincoln coaches and I own one of them

Back