Very interesting M-M ambulance... with landau bars???

NJ Dorsey

Just saw this on craigslist and was hoping someone could fill me in on what this is or if they've seen anything else like it. It appears to be a 69 Miller-Meteor AMBULANCE... but with landau bars in place of what was typically the chrome ambulance cross. It appears to me to be original... could this have been used as a combination? Or did the ambulance service just prefer this look?

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/4931709780.html

Anything is possible, as these cars could be ordered in any configuration that the customer requested. Having said that, I have never seen this before, and it is not shown in the '69 factory brochure. Other possibilities include dealer installed, or something added on by the original or subsequent owners.

I seem to recall a high headroom combo that surfaced on this board within the past few years, but don't remember the specifics.

Last edited:
It was obviously white at some point as there looks to be a lot of black paint chipping off in spots. I would say that some later owner bought an ambulance and really wanted a hearse. They painted it black, tinted the windows, and got a set of aftermarket landau bars or landau bars off of a late '60s T-Bird. regardless of what has been done to it over the years, it looks to be a rig worth buying!

...and finally, someone who posts' it as a M-M...a Miller-Meteor... no an M&M... thanks Noah...

Jim Staruk purchased a early 1970's Miller Meteor High Top Combination Car that was based on the Volunteer configuration. It came from Georgia, and Jeremy Ledford was familiar with the car, and said that it was the only one of its kind that was built. For all intents, it looked like an ambulance, but it had rollers in the floor. It was extremely rusty, and wasn't worth saving at the time. Knowing more about the car now, I would have attempted to save it, because of its uniqueness. Possibly Jim still has some pictures of it? I was able to salvage a couple of Ful-View lights off the roof, and a couple of the tamber door cabinets from the interior.

...and today, a new post offers another variation... M+M... geez, it was a Miller-Meteor... how hard is M-M to get right for the collector?

Jim Staruk purchased a early 1970's Miller Meteor High Top Combination Car that was based on the Volunteer configuration. It came from Georgia, and Jeremy Ledford was familiar with the car, and said that it was the only one of its kind that was built. For all intents, it looked like an ambulance, but it had rollers in the floor. It was extremely rusty, and wasn't worth saving at the time. Knowing more about the car now, I would have attempted to save it, because of its uniqueness. Possibly Jim still has some pictures of it? I was able to salvage a couple of Ful-View lights off the roof, and a couple of the tamber door cabinets from the interior.

I wish I kept this one!1974 (2).jpgP6260014.jpgP6260033.jpgP6260037.jpg

...and today, a new post offers another variation... M+M... geez, it was a Miller-Meteor... how hard is M-M to get right for the collector?

I can live with the + just for the fact that it is used on the emblems and in some brochures. The thing that makes the ampersand much worse is that not only collectors do it but its done by many coach dealers too, and they should know better.

According to the original owners Muster Funeral Home, Calhoun, Kentucky of the 76 M-M Volunteer that Jim Staruk once had this car was indeed set up as a combination style coach. The lighting was removable, had provisions in the floor for a casket rack and also had provisions on rear qtr windows for removable landau panels which can be seen in one of the photo's Jim has posted.

According to the original owners Muster Funeral Home, Calhoun, Kentucky of the 76 M-M Volunteer that Jim Staruk once had this car was indeed set up as a combination style coach. The lighting was removable, had provisions in the floor for a casket rack and also had provisions on rear qtr windows for removable landau panels which can be seen in one of the photo's Jim has posted.

It also came with window nameplates that read "ASSOCIATES"

Back