adding extra cooling fan on the radiator

Has anyone added an extra electrically powered fan like new cars have to their older pro car to help with engine cooling?
I find my IH loves to drive fast but if I run it in a walking pace parade the engine starts to run rough and it seems to foul up fast.

more fans

Yes, I just added a small auxilary fan to the front of my newly boiled out radiator. In the slow traffic of stop and go or parade pace I still got a gauge that said my engine temp was getting too warm for me to be comfortable. I have not tested the fan yet but it is there if and when I need it. Some IHs had fan clutches. Make sure the clutch is working properly. Also make sure fan shrouds are in place. Also keep the fins of the radiator clear of debris. Cadillac did not install a shroud on all their cars. Just the ones that had A/C. I put a shroud from an A/C car on my 61MM. It runs a bit cooler according to the gauge. Now before all the physicists out there start telling me about thermal co-effients and thermal dynamics let me say this: When the gauge says my engine is running past the 3/4 mark on the way to HOT I get nervous. I like it when I am NOT nervous.
What kind of IH? I spent over 38 years in the Springfield, Ohio plants.
Mike

I will see how this new radiator does in the parade tomorrow and always thought a couple electric fans would be nice just in case. I planned on being able to turn them on/off manually.

Make sure that the one that you get turns in the same direction as your fan blade. If not, then the engine fan blade might be pulling the air from the front to the rear, and the auxilary fan will be working against it trying to pull the air from the rear to the front. Not all electric fans are created equal..

I have an external fan on my 49 S&S to help with the cooling. It now has a 350 crate engine, but still runs the original radiator, and when long slow trips it got warm, not there is no problems. I have a thermostat control that I can manually adjust the temp to start the fan. I have it set so it starts and stopes when it reaches 200 degrees. Never had anymore problems and have been running it like this for 5 years now. It also still has the fan on the engine.

new fans

The local Advance Auto parts store has new fans for only $49. Read the boxes some will say this is a push or pull fan. Depends on which wire you use for positive and the ground.
Mike

Back