Look what the Easter Bunny brought me.

NJ Dorsey

I'm posting it here because I'm probably going to need some advice/help over the summer! Should be a fun project though =)

Now that is neat!!!!

Thanks! I think so...never seen anything else like it. It's TINY by hearse standards- narrow and short. And it's got drapes in front of the partition glass, never seen that on a "modern" coach before either. Just getting it cleaned out tonight and starting to remove outside pieces in preparation for getting it cleaned up before some minor bodywork and paint.

Mercedes 123 body, started production in 1976 and ran till 1986. It was available in a 5 cylinder diesel, and a gas job also. Looking at your car, the wheels are mismatched. The car in 1976 originally came with steel wheels and full wheel covers, and eventually, they installed alloy wheels. The wheels on your car look a lot newer than what was normally seen on the 123 body style. They originally came with 14" rims, and I don't remember if they switched to the 15" rims later on. They were the workhorse of the Mercedes line, and in Europe, they were used as taxis, because of there durability.

Congrats on the new acquisition, Noah! Should be a neat Coach when painted and detailed. Best part is no one is going to pull up next to you at a show with one just like it. Hope its a diesel and replace fuel filters SOON Good luck with it

Mercedes 123 body, started production in 1976 and ran till 1986. It was available in a 5 cylinder diesel, and a gas job also. Looking at your car, the wheels are mismatched. The car in 1976 originally came with steel wheels and full wheel covers, and eventually, they installed alloy wheels. The wheels on your car look a lot newer than what was normally seen on the 123 body style. They originally came with 14" rims, and I don't remember if they switched to the 15" rims later on. They were the workhorse of the Mercedes line, and in Europe, they were used as taxis, because of there durability.
A friend of mine has a 72 Mercedes ambulance, and it has 15" steel rims and hubcaps. From what I understood, the commercial cars all came with these.

Love it Noah! I think about this coach every so often and wondered when one of us here in the club would finally save it. Glad it was you.

Congrats on the new acquisition, Noah! Should be a neat Coach when painted and detailed. Best part is no one is going to pull up next to you at a show with one just like it. Hope its a diesel and replace fuel filters SOON Good luck with it

It runs on regular unleaded actually.

And I forgot to thank Attila and Dieter for their recommendation of Michael DaCosta as a transporter- VERY easy to deal with, friendly, accommodating, and has reasonable rates. I HIGHLY recommend him, as he has done a few professional cars and knows what he's doing.

It runs on regular unleaded actually.

And I forgot to thank Attila and Dieter for their recommendation of Michael DaCosta as a transporter- VERY easy to deal with, friendly, accommodating, and has reasonable rates. I HIGHLY recommend him, as he has done a few professional cars and knows what he's doing.
I'm glad things worked out well with Mike. He's been great to work with. I love the Mercedes. It really looks more like an American coach than a German one.

Looks like the coachwork was modeled after the Miller-Meteor Eterna:

Congrats on the new acquisition, Noah! Post some interior photos when you can.

I agree, Tony. It reminds me of the Eterna style also- what would you call that? Landau/Limousine style? Landaulet? Although at the moment it reminds me more of this Futura... ;)

http://onscreencars.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/ecto-1_primer.jpg

The coachwork was done by Grazia Carrozzeria in Bologna, Italy, I'm not sure if they are still around...all I could find was a mailing address, so I sent a letter. We'll see what kind of light they can shed on the car.

Im SO GLAD this coach is finally getting saved. Ive thought off and on for many years on checking this one out, but for some stupid reason I never did. I cannot wait to see this one returned to its former beauty.

Sitting for for many years, this thing collected a LOT of dust. I'm still in the process of cleaning it.

BEFORE

AFTER

I'm taking all the rollers out so I can get it cleaned really good, this thing was filthy!

I have to say, the wall fixtures are my favorite feature. I haven't figured out if they light up yet or not.

More to come. The hardest part so far has been figuring out why the hatch back door is not closing properly at the top. The gas struts are completely shot, but I think it's the hinges at the top either need to be replaced or just adjusted.

WOW. Now I really regret not looking at it years ago. That interior looks so much better than the pix I was sent to me almost 7 years ago. Really cleaned up nice. This is going to be a beauty.

Back