1963 Chrysler-Pinner Ambulance takes a southern vacation

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
All I can say is that my wife and I are honored with the trust Paul Steinberg has put in us as the new caretakers of the Pinner Coach Co's only known remaining ambulance!

Paul has been more than a gentleman and I cannot thank him enough for his time, expertise, and honesty. The condition of this vehicle is truly a testament to Paul's skill and efforts on top of the Pinner family's craftsmanship from so many years ago. Every time I see the car - I can't get over how beautiful it really is.

We made a great contact at the Rhinecliff FD Rescue Squad, and were able to talk to folks who worked on this ambulance when it was in service. This ambulance is so "odd" partially because it also served - at least initially - as their rescue vehicle as well. It originally carried extrication equipment, three fire extinguishers, even basic water rescue gear. Much has become clearer on the how's and why's of this ambulance between that and newspaper record searches. Indeed - this ambulance was only the first of at least three more Pinner Coach ambulances purchased by agencies within Duchess County, NY. Two more were Chrysler New Yorkers as well! If privileged to put it together, I think the fascinating history we uncovered is probably even worthy of an article in The Professional Car.

Since we got the ambulance safe and sound - there's been some minor projects I've tackled including replacing some missing and broken cabinet hardware (VERY hard to find the right size flush-mount pull rings), rear window curtain rod hardware, installed a replacement for the Motrac radio (holes lined up perfectly to what RCFD folks told us!), re-installed the Rico RS-4 suction apparatus, replaced a few lightbulbs and other odds/ends. We're working on restocking the unit with the equipment it would have carried at the time.

Today - Rescue 1 (the call sign for the unit when it was in-service) made it's first public appearance at the San Antonio Fire Museum. Not more than 2 minutes after we parked did it start getting visitors and the museum staff started directing folks to see it. We're honored the foundation would like the ambulance to appear with their vintage fire apparatus at public events. As a former paramedic - I think it's very important that the public and the profession remember the history behind the prehospital care system we have today.

There's still some mysteries remaining that me and Paul have yet to figure out (he rightly knew I'd be driven crazy by minutiae) - and I am sure we will bring these to the attention of the group as well as show any projects/interesting details as I have with my Cotner-Bevington.

One first request - does anyone have any photos that better show the red Dymo labels that were on the ambulance cabinetry when this ambulance first came known? They fell off over time, and coupled with Paul's computer crashing and the reboot of the "other board" deleting all old photos I have no idea what these labels said. It would be very helpful when restocking them.

Thanks again to everyone in the PCS who has been so helpful with so many things in the last year. I hope I am able to pay it forward as I am able.

Attachments

• FireMuseum.jpg
    FireMuseum.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
this is the only one I have of the inside of it. but the labels would have been put on after it was delivered.

Attachments

• 1963 Pinner factory photo 3.jpg
    1963 Pinner factory photo 3.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 444
Thanks Ed! I have that photo and the other two factory photos from 1963. It looks just the same!

Specifically - there were a few photos from the original Craigslist ad and what Paul posted back in 2008-2009 that unfortunately were either compressed down so they were unreadable or are missing now from the threads.

Congratulations Nicholas! I knew the ambulance had been sold and now we know you have it. I know that you will truly enjoy showing the car and talking about it and it's history to many people. Enjoy the ride!

Congratulations Nicholas! I knew the ambulance had been sold and now we know you have it. I know that you will truly enjoy showing the car and talking about it and it's history to many people. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks! Fun for today included working a bit on the linen compartment's light. I can say it's not the bulb or the wiring in there. Obviously the RCFD folks had jerry-rigged it at some point. Twisted wire splices wrapped in electrical tape does not a professional job make. :)

We lucked out and apparently found the only available antique flush pull ring with the oddball measurements of 1-9/16" x 1-1/14" available to put on the floor compartment in the rear. It had been missing for time immemorial... A little bit of minor wood surgery due to the damaged screw-holes and we're back in business.

On another note - anyone have any guesses on what went on the shelf behind the seat in the cab? Just a bunch of holes now - but at some point there were things there. My contact at RCFD can't recall much about it (maybe even removed by the time he worked on it in the 1980s) - but you can see that whatever was on the passenger side tore up the front metal molding. I know for sure it wasn't a radio speaker as that mounted up front under the dash. We also know the car carried a forcible entry tool - and probably a fire axe too. Maybe there was some kind of mount for them? S&S also had them up front as seen in http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=78238&postcount=13. Still, rather odd how the screws are off-center... Anyone got any ideas? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Attachments

• FloorHardware1.jpg
    FloorHardware1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 304
  • DriverShelf.jpg
    DriverShelf.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 301
  • PassengerShelf.jpg
    PassengerShelf.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 303
  • FrontShelf.jpg
    FrontShelf.jpg