try this out

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
the hitch final came in for the truck so we got it set up today. took a little playing around but we final got the trailer to sit level. and did the pre flight test and run threw of check lug nuts, grease everything that moves and make sure the tires are set at max on both the tow rig and the trailer. then loaded the 75 up and went for a test run. the combination was what I had wished we could have rented when we puled it down. load leveler hitch and sway bar with the longer trailer made for a nice combination.

yes I know that a single axle one ton pickup would be better. but this is what I have so it's what I will use. the first picture is the tiled bed loading . no more dragging off mufflers. the next is the trailer we rented and the trailer we bought pulling the same car. we were forced to stop in rout and swap things around in the blowing snow coming down from Mt. they had given me a hitch that was way to high for the trailer and with the front of it pointing up and the nose of the truck way high you could not control it going down hill. lucky I had put my hitch in that way we could at least get the trailer level. I decided then it best to get my own stuff even if it only for a few pulls.

Attachments

• dfference in trailers 1.jpg
    dfference in trailers 1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 291
  • diference in trailers.jpg
    diference in trailers.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 292
DOT regulations require that all 4 corners of the vehicle be tied down. What type of tie downs are you going to be using?

Tie downs what are they for?? And who is this dot? Trust me Paul I have been towing cars since I was a teenager. This is not my first trip. Just the first time with my own trailer. We had it chained up with a binder when we did the test drive.

We move cars on a two car trailer all the time (Police Cars) and like you have been doing it for over 50 years. The DOT now wants tie downs on all four corners (read that wheels). Not needed in my view BUT the fineometer is running don't do it THEIR WAY and you will PAY!!! We are currently using rachet straps on all four wheels and they are happy. Tied down in the front with the winch does not count believe it or not they would rather the winch line left loose and no I have no idea why. If regulations and enforcement were as they are today 50 years ago I think I would have gone and sold pencils on a corner for a life career. Medical cards CDLs Log Books just to haul cars COME ON! NEVER had a towing or hauling crash in 50 years. Admittadly I cleaned up some beauties that were others BOBOs. The secret would seem to be if you are hauling for yourself and you are not reselling or in business you do not need all the paper work however a Gung Ho DOT guy may well ticket you and the you have to go to court and hope you don't gat a hanging Judge.

This trailer is not set up for wheel straps. When they first started being used guys were getting tickets for them. So you can't ever stay in front of the DOT. I'm not hauling for hire and staying off the east and west cost. I'm safe. If chains and binders on all four corners are not better then nylon straps I'll eat my shorts. You guys can live with big brother looking over your shoulder all the time. There in farm country we don't really worry about it. :thumbsup:

Do not come to Ontario,my friends have fifth wheel horse trailer with living quarters and have been stopped by our MTO, ministry of transportation Ontario and have over the past several years have gotten no solid answer on what is legal and what isn't every officer has a different interpretation,he also drives transport for a living and is most concerned as any infraction will impact his licence,:beatdeadhorse5:

I am with you ED but we switched to the straps because we were told Chains are not acceptable with binders (we were using rachet binders not flip overs). DOT terrorist said next time I see you have them strapped. In all fairness the newer tin can cars don't have much to hook chains to. I do know I would feel a lot better with a 7000 pound pro car held in place with chains

DOT regulations call for a four point tie down, independantly adjusted, not counting the winch cable. You can use EITHER nylon straps OR chain binders. If you are running for hire, you need a medical card and log book if you are going beyond 150 AIR miles from your home base, even if you are a NON CDL driver. I'm a firm believer in the 4 point tie down. If you have ever lost one off a roll back, you will understand the rules!, If youre not running for hire, you dont have to worry about the log book/medical card.

that is the problem with the rules everyone interprets them in a different way. had we been thinking of hauling for hire we would have gone a way differed rout then this and used a 5 wheel set up. I just wanted a trailer able to handle pulling my 53 to a meet when we get it done. this one will do nicely. it can handle one of the bigger cars also if we find that necessary. and being a bumper pull trading trucks will not be a hassle. 4 point tie down to the d rings will secure the car. believe it or not this Eureka is only 6100 lb.
don't worry Rick is there was a reason for me to bring something out or go get something I would. but for right now it's take this 58 home and then load a car up on it and let it sit out behind the house. that way it takes up no more space then the car does. we have way to many cars here for the room we have.

Back