1957 Gas Tank

I just put in my gas tank and hooked up wire to sender and I put in 1 gallon of gas but now my gauge says full. Am I missing something here. How is the tank grounded....thanks

You most likely have a short in the sending unit or the wire. The gage reads by grounding it. First check should be. The wire at the points were it connects to the frame.

Grounds threw the tank. Wire goes down threw the resister coil out threw the tank to the frame back to the battery. The gage reads the amount of resistance in the hot wire. I might be backwards on how it works. Can't remember if a open will read empty or full. But as I get to thinking it seemed that a full ground on the hot wire reads empty.a open reads full
Check first if you have current at the wire. It should be a pulsating reading.. if you have current then try grounding the tank to the frame. Jumper cables will work good for that. If that doesn't work ground the sending unit to the frame. If that doesn't give you a e reading change the sending unit.

If you don't have power on the wire keep tracing back till you do.the fix the open or the ground whichever it is.

But one would suspect that the sending unit got damaged or you have done something to insulate it. Normally it's the last thing you did that went south. As they say good luck

Found a corroded plug just behind the tank. A connector that when it moved the gauge started to work,its the wire that comes out from the sender unit. I guess I feel STUPID:beatdeadhorse5: Thanks guys

We have all done it.

Jon I did ask in another post but will ask here. In the pictures that you sent me it appeared to be your landau bars sitting on top of that speaker box. Did you get them?

Back