Tips on Removing Paint from Beacon Light Domes

I was Curious if any one here had any Suggestions on how to go about removing some Old Paint (Spray Paint More than likely) from the inside of a Light Dome Cover, without damaging the Finish of the Plastic and Original Color of the Dome

I've got a Light Dome Cover thats Intact (No Cracks) and has been dis-continued from being made in this particular Styling and I'd like to Try and Clean off all the Old Red Spray Paint one of the Previous Owners Had Sprayed on the inside of this cover Years Ago, So I could Reuse it on my Pro-Car, as I found out they no longer make this Dome Light Cover not only in this Styling but also this color (Originally Clear)

I wasn't sure if there was some sort of Product out there some of you would suggest that won't damage the Plastic Cover without a "Hazey" type of Reaction????

-Thanks!

Try dot 3 brake fluid. I have used dot 3 brake fluid to remove paint off of plastic models with good results. I would start by trying it in a small spot first, just to see how it works.

Try dot 3 brake fluid. I have used dot 3 brake fluid to remove paint off of plastic models with good results. I would start by trying it in a small spot first, just to see how it works.

one I had not though off. woun't take a lot of it to do it eather. then kill it with a little soap and water pick up what remains with some fine steel wool and the polish it with a hand rubbing conpound. any of the strippers or thinners will most likly etch the plastic.

Dome Lights

John, These are the Dome Lights I've talked to you about in the past, (I don't have the Numbers Right in front of me right at the moment) But I approached you about this and you informed me that the Only Color available for this Style Dome/Lens was now red, and not the Clear.

I'm still not real sure what I should use, as Steel wool makes me Nervous when it comes to plastic, and if those other products may Haze or Craze the Plastic's finish over time, I'm a little leary of going that route

the plastic will polish out. the inside makes it a little more difficult but then they do make a ball that fits on a drill that would do it nicely. I have one I do those yellow headlights with. the plastic is a petroleum product. so it will melt with a strong petroleum base. the brake fluid would be a good choice as it is a mild product that tends to dissolve paint. the inside is all ready crazed with the paint. it's a petroleum product also as is the propane they use as a propellant. the key would be not to soak it over night in anything. but you could just use the rubbing compound to remove the paint. how well it works depends on how thick the paint is.

Seems like anything you try could harm the plastic - but then, it sounds like it's not useful the way it is, so how could you make it worse? By the way, when they talk about steel wool, you need the stuff from the hardware store that's 0000 (four zeros), very fine stuff, not the stuff you get in the grocery store for cleaning pots and pans.

Also, John's question is still valid > what kind of light or dome is it? You may not be able to find a new one, but a lot of us have good-condition used junk....er....parts in our garages and may be able to help! :rolleyes:

Steve, Believe me I am very familiar with Grade-0000 Steel Wool, as I've used it in the past on various things, somethings have turned out good others haven't faired soo well.

I will try the Rubbing Compound/Wax Method First as I'm most comfortable with that, if that still doesn't "Clear" things up I'll proabably try the DOT 3 Brake Fluid Technique (In a Small area at first)

The Lights that these Domes Fit on is a "Federal Sign and Signal Corp." Model 184 Series A-3.

Once I get to this Stage in the Restoration I plan on Replacing 4 out of the 5 Beacon Lights on the Roof with the New Styling of the Reproduction Lens' that Mr. John Dorgan Offers.

However that 5th and Final Beacon Light/P.A. I'd like to Utilize the Stock Clear Lens/Dome that the Car Originally had.
As I recently Purchased 2 Red Sealed Utility/Spot Lights/Bulbs to go with the 2 Standard Clear Sealed Utility/Spot Lights/Bulbs
However when I bought this Pro-Car it only had 3 out of the 5 Domes/Lens' still mounted to the Lights, 1 of those was Solid still and the other 2 were Cracked and Broken.

Most of the Beacon Light Assembly's Did Not have Bulbs in them when I bought the Car, So I've been Installing those and Testing Each light.
I didn't Realize that these little Suckers were kinda Spendy (Especially the Red Ones) Until I got the Invoice.
I'll let you do the Math............Each Beacon Light Takes 4 Bulbs and theres 5 Beacon Lights:eek:
I think when I bought the Car, it may have had a Total of 3 Bulbs still Mounted to the Lights

watch your watts on the lights. they make them as hight as 60 watts. when I played with the 184 globes I found them about as easy to work with as egg shells. so what ever you do if your rubbing with any kind of power tool put it in a plastic bucket. if fact I would do that if I was doing it by hand. I have seen the bulbs any were from 3 to 10 bucks. they are a vary expensive light to put on anything. simple construction. if they had made the globes a little heaver they would last a long time.

Bulb prices

Ryan,
What did you pay for the bulbs. I have 4416s for $7.50 and 4416Rs for $12.50 NIB.
John Dorgan

Steve, Believe me I am very familiar with Grade-0000 Steel Wool, as I've used it in the past on various things, somethings have turned out good others haven't faired soo well.

I will try the Rubbing Compound/Wax Method First as I'm most comfortable with that, if that still doesn't "Clear" things up I'll proabably try the DOT 3 Brake Fluid Technique (In a Small area at first)

The Lights that these Domes Fit on is a "Federal Sign and Signal Corp." Model 184 Series A-3.

Once I get to this Stage in the Restoration I plan on Replacing 4 out of the 5 Beacon Lights on the Roof with the New Styling of the Reproduction Lens' that Mr. John Dorgan Offers.

However that 5th and Final Beacon Light/P.A. I'd like to Utilize the Stock Clear Lens/Dome that the Car Originally had.
As I recently Purchased 2 Red Sealed Utility/Spot Lights/Bulbs to go with the 2 Standard Clear Sealed Utility/Spot Lights/Bulbs
However when I bought this Pro-Car it only had 3 out of the 5 Domes/Lens' still mounted to the Lights, 1 of those was Solid still and the other 2 were Cracked and Broken.

Most of the Beacon Light Assembly's Did Not have Bulbs in them when I bought the Car, So I've been Installing those and Testing Each light.
I didn't Realize that these little Suckers were kinda Spendy (Especially the Red Ones) Until I got the Invoice.
I'll let you do the Math............Each Beacon Light Takes 4 Bulbs and theres 5 Beacon Lights:eek:
I think when I bought the Car, it may have had a Total of 3 Bulbs still Mounted to the Lights

Back