Headliner Template/Patterns

Hello Once again,

today I come before you all yet again seeking tips and advice,

I currently am in the Early Stages of Looking at possibly buying a late 60's Pontiac Bonneville Superior Ambulance, for etheir Restoration or a Donor Car, The Headliner However, in the front and back is SHOT, and will require removal and installation of a newly crafted headliner,

So my question is,
What would be the best and easiest way to remove the entire headliner from this particular car, Front to Back

Keep in mind I would like to keep as much of it intact as I can so I woud be able to use whats left as a Template/Pattern for the new headliner.

I know from past Run-ins on other ambulances parts of the Headliner appeared to be held in place by small automotive type staples??? Not sure if thats the method they used for the entire headliner back then or not?

I'm just a bit nervous as the Fabric is aged and been exposed to the Elements so it could be pretty brittle

Thanks Again,
-Ryan

headliner help

I don't think this should be a one person job. If some kind of rod was used to hold the liner from side to side you should number them. Front to back or back to front. Just make sure you number them. They may be different lengths. You probably don't need another puzzle. If you are taking this to an auto upholstery shop let them worry about it. If you are doing this yourself take pictures and put a short note on each picture. Or you could have someone take pictures as you are taking the liner out. That way you would have an idea of how the inner parts of the liner are attached. I have never had the liner out of my hearse. We have had the headliner out of a couple other old cars over the years. That is why I say number the rods if they used them.
Mike

good advice. if you have never done this before but still want to start by removing the side panels that will show you have they put the headliner in. the of course have the bow es you can see holding it up. but here are either screwed in the header over the glass or ride in a hole. the sides are either screwed and glued or they age tucked into a strip of teeth. you won't know till you get down enough to see . start at the floor and work you way threw the layers that overlap till you can see. then send a picture and we can tell you how that piece comes apart.

Headliner

Thanks alot to you all for the very Helpful tips,

I wasn't sure how to approach this or if there was some sort of Special Technique used, But I guess like in most case's ......they used the "Common Sense Method!"

Now why didn't I think of that!!!! ( LOL )

I'll just start from the bottom and work my way up through the layers

Once again I thank you all for being So Helpful and willing to offer advice and tips!
-Ryan

One of the difficult things with replacing headliners, is to get the wrinkles out of them. This is why when you get the one down, you will find a set of three holes on each side for each bow. If you are planning on putting the original headliner back in, then you need to mark which hole the rod is engaging on both sides as you remove it. This is a critical step that cannot be forgotten, since it will put the headliner back exactly from where it was removed. If you place the listing rods in the wrong holes when reinstalling, then you run the risk of tearing the headliner as a result. I like yellow permanent markers for marking these locations. It doesn't bleed through, and it is easily seen against the dark metal.

Ryan,

I did take the headliner out of my 69 Superior last year. In the process, I did take a lot of pictures and videos while I did it. If you want to send me a PM with your mailing address I will burn the data to a CD and mail it to you.

Back