'88 Eureka Towncar

Another I stumbled across out ferreting recently. Given uniqueness, figured some would want to see. How many were produced? Only one I've seen pictures of is (ex?) Dan Brintlinger's.

Neat detail is how the front window moldings are removable, making for a true top off, window down, open air look/feel.

dsc04456j.jpg

dsc04457s.jpg

dsc04460i.jpg

dsc04461h.jpg

dsc04462s.jpg

Now.....there's an extremely rare piece! Looks to be mostly there and would make for a fairly easy restoration. I really hope someone in the PCS rescues this one.

Great Find!

As usual, Attila, you have come across something noteworthy. These "McPherson-built" Town Cars are rare indeed, wtih only a dozen or so built from 1984-1988. I'll go into my files later and provide more specifics on the production.

Now, here's the next challenge for you: Find the one and only (McPherson) Eureka Town Car LIMOUSINE-STYLE hearse that was built! :toocool:

As Tony said, there was one limousine-style Eureka Concours Town Car built. Tom McPherson told me that this car was ordered in the summer of 1985 by a Boston funeral director who was taking delivery of a new Concours Classic flower car at the plant and saw a finished Town Car there. He ordered a limousine version of the car on the spot. According to what Tom told me, the car was delivered just before Christmas of 1985 and the owner removed the roof and placed it into a special velvet bag he had made for it. The car was never used for services with the top on. The car was silver to match the guy's flower car. It was used for the Rickard Dreyfus movie "Once Around" in the final scenes. If I remember what I was told, the same guy later ordered a '87 FWD Eureka Concours Classic Flower car to replace the '85 RWD model. I'm sure McPherson has photos of this one-of-a-kind Town Car somewhere. He also has quite a few stories about how these cars came about and his experiences with selling and delivering them to customers.

I remember....

At the PCS International Meet in 1985, which was held on the grounds of the Eureka plant, someone asked Tom if those roofs leaked. His answer was.......they are guaranteed. Guaranteed to leak that is.

Back in '88, at the Decatur meet, Dan B. told an interesting tale about his town car coach. Seems there is nothing to stop the window glass in the front doors at the "closed" position. If one is not careful, the glass will keep coming up and pop right out of the door. An unusual feature, eh?

A bit more information

As I am perusing my Eureka notes, I am able to provide this info so far:

There were 3 Town Cars built in 1988; two of them were white with red interiors (the second of which was the Brintlinger car.)

The very last Town Car built was the one Attila has found. It was ordered through Shields Southeast Sales in Marietta, GA, blue with a blue vinyl top and blue leather interior. It was delivered on July 29, 1988. I do not know the name of the original purchasing funeral home, however.

Eureka Town Car (LAST)

Thanks for this great info Tony. I hope someone on here buys&restores properly this last of its kind coach. Nice Find! thx

More on Eureka Town Cars

According to my notes, there were a total of 9 (McPherson-built) Eureka Town Cars:

1984: 1
1985: 4 (the fourth was the limousine-style car)
1986: 1
1987: 0
1988: 3

Tom McPherson once explained to me that even though these cars were basically Concours Brougham RWD hearses, they were marketed distinctly as the Eureka Town Car model. In other words, there was no such thing as a Concours Brougham with the Town Car option.

Thank you Tony for providing a further breakdown - which has been relayed to the owner in the hopes that he may fill in the original missing funeral home blank.

He has no intent of selling nor have I provided any illusion that it may be available for those wondering. They're pictures. That's all.

Ready for a twist? The owner is a PCS member who will not use the forum.

Andrew: The one Carl had back in 2003 was the first and only 1984. White with a red leather interior. Was the show car for the NFDA convention in Dallas and then went to Burgess Hearse Sales. Don't know the original funeral home that owned that one either.

Attila: The fact that the "last one" is not for sale may be a good thing. I just hope the owner plans to restore and show it when the time is right. At least it survives and is being kept inside.

C.W. Towncar

Here is the one at Carls. The window posts are removable, I dont know why he left them in, they look much better without them.
1984 Eureka Concours Town Car.jpg

1984 Eureka Concours Town Car 2.jpg

Back