Bed liner style roof

Can some one post pictures of roofs coated with roll or spray on truck bed liner? I'm not in the market for another vinyl top on my '86. I just want to get it done and over with.

:wwpics:

Josh Horton's got a nice finish on his top done that way, but I don't have any photos. Terry Lange also did his with a bed liner, and there's a photo in the below link.

This is the temporary fix on my coach, not a bed liner coating, and a discussion on it here.

attachment.php

Last edited:
To keep the finished product looking as close as possible to the "crinkle paint" that was used on funeral coaches in the past, make sure the bed liner material is applied in a thin coat.

Terry

Josh, the top looks great, I just picked up another '89 this weekend and the top is in serious need of something. Was your top sprayed on or was it rolled. What exact product was used......Thx...Kenny

To keep the finished product looking as close as possible to the "crinkle paint" that was used on funeral coaches in the past, make sure the bed liner material is applied in a thin coat.

Terry

it will give a nice all over texture to the top and cover those nasty sand scratches and rust pits. the line x sprayed on is best. they can color that in any color you like and by varying the spray equipment can produce different textures on the top. if one wanted to add the tape seams you can all most get it to look like a vinyl top with the pebble finish. but the truth is the price is really close to the replacement top. the lasting quality will depend on what your spraying it over like anything else.

I had Line-X do the top. It is spray on bedliner. If you plan on doing this, if possible go to a couple different Line-X shops and get a quote. I have a friend that went to one and they quoted something like $1,000 or more. I had mine done for $600. Very happy with it.

buy you the undercoating gun. and spray it on. just cover and paper off everthing you don't want covered and I mean everything . old sheets do if it's a was away but right up next were you going to spray heavy use paper and tape. you'll wish you had if you roll it on. if you don't have a air compressor you can rent one at the tool rental center fro the afternoone.

This is all really good advice. I'm doing it myself to keep down cost. Also that way if I screw it up it's on me.:burp:

find the smallest knapp loop roller, they have many different loop rollers for the applications desired look. The coatings are easy to apply, take the extra time to make sure everything is clean, oil free surfaces, and mask off everything you think you won't get any paint on just to be extra safe. If you are going over fiberglass, use a gel coat to repair any areas that need it, before applying the bedliner coating.:smileflag:

RV roof coating products fopr vinyl top?

Has anyone tried Recreational Vehicle white roof coating as a coating for vinyl roof? There are several varieties of EPDM and acrylic based coatings. Some are catalyst type and others are one part roll or brush on. EPDM will stick to vinyl, a good start! My 1981 Armbruster 6 door has a dark blue top, which makes it a solar furnace in Summer. So a change of color and protective coating are in order. It has the GM Cadillac style bonnet rear, so taking the top off will not work.
I have had good luck with EPDM rubber in caulk tubes for patching small C shaped checks in past but the whole roof needs coating now. I am stuck with outside storage, so a tarp over the roof will be in order from now on. Thought of using Pledge or perhaps Future floor wax to give satin sheen, advantage is they can be removed with a bit of ammonia water for recoating later.
Super good cleaning and prep are a must. there is a video of somebody coating a stretch limousine roof with Flex Seal on youtube but it took 13 cans of white and texture was coarse. I have found about 6 RV roof coating products from $49 to $150 per gallon. They usually are white. I would prefer soemthing that could be rolled and brushed on. Bill Frisk

just paint it with vinyl paint. SEM makes a vary good product for this as does every major paint line. just fallow the direction for who ever your going to use and be done with it. as long as your top in in good condition it's a good way to go. yes you can get them in rattle cans.

Back