1956 GMC Carryall Ambulance Info and Leads

Hello to all the members of the professional car community. Today I am starting this thread in hopes of collecting all known information, locations and pictures of the elusive 1956 GMC Carryall Ambulance by the Christopher Company. I joined this forum while I was trying to find information on the vehicle, and I soon realized that I was not alone in the search. Therefore, the plan for this thread is to share all known information on the vehicle with the other interested members. Hopefully, we can help at least one of us to track the ambulance down. Below is all information I have been able to acquire to date(10/21/15).

General Info

The Following info can be found in the following link; http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/c/christopher/christopher.htm (Active 10/21/15)

-The ambulance was made by the Christopher Company in Manhattan New York at 100 Central Park south. The company ran from 1954 through 1967, where it was eventually absorbed into various corporations.

-The ambulance was Branded as an FAPA Res Q (Fire-Ambulance-Patrol Auto). They were made mostly out of long wheelbase GMC Carryalls but did occasionally get produced using suburbans, depending on customer preference.

image_zpsuagnrhpq.jpeg~original

-The 1954 FAPA Could carry 4 stretchers and 150-200 gallons of water

image_zpslf8lpmev.jpeg~original

-Hozes were stored under 2 built in running boards for the 200 GPM water pump. Controls for the pump were located behind drivers door.

-The FAPA had a rear mounted foam delivery system inside the extended rear step wich could generate 6000 gallons of foam retardant.

image_zpsw2biqfiy.jpeg~original

-The ambulance was advertised in Five Engineering Magazine and Chevrolet Silver book.

-Christopher was know to deliver these Ambulances to CT, FL, MI, NY, NJ, NM, PA, VA, WI, WV, Ethiopia, Brazil and Venezuela.

Possible Leads

-Robert Davidson, member of PCS, shares a link of a craigslist add for a 1956 GMC Carryall Ambulance in 2009. The link is dead now but the location of the add was Western Massatutsis. I Have Posted an add in Western Massatutsis inquiring about the wearabouts of this Ambulance. I recieved a reply to this add from a fello by the name of Edwin Mattila. He states that he seen the Green ambulance below but does not know if it's still for sale.
image_zpsgqpwcbb1.jpeg~original
image_zpsaihxf2gf.jpeg~original
He said that he will look into it for me. I will Keep you posted when new info turns up. The link to the dead craigslist add is as follows
http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/2574746762.html. The original thread for this add is as follows http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6602&highlight=Christopher

-Todd Merrifield, member of PCS, talked to a genelman by the name of Brian in 2008. Brian is the Poster of the Craigslist add above. Todd said that Brian was seeking money to restore the ambulance for a cause like a museum or historical society. This was located in the same thread as above. In western Massatutsis, there are about 4 car museums, none of wich have the ambulance as an exhibit. Hopefully, this means Brian still has it. I sent Todd an email asking about this Brian fello. Hopefully he gets back to me and can shed some light on the situation.

-Nicholas Struder, PCS, shows a picture of the FAPA made for the Lincoln park FD. I looked Up Lincon Park FD. I was able to find a picture of the same ambulance Nicholas Struder shared in one of the Christopher Company's adds.
I searched the Lincon Park Craigslist Classifides but had no luck.
image_zps5cteeofc.jpeg~original
image_zps396qwa7j.jpeg~original

-On many of the Adds for Christopher, the ambulances have the logo NBFD.
image_zpsrpcjsm5c.jpeg~original
. I talked to Jack Ramsey, PCS, on the phone. He believes the logo actually reads WBFD. later, I found a picture of an FAPA with this badge, and underneath the photo, it states that the ambulance was shipped to Westbend, Wisconsin. Therefore, WBFD must mean West Bend Fire Dept. I looked at West Bend Craigslist, still no ambulance.
image_zpszm6cogia.jpeg~original

Cont...

-One of the adds for FAPA states that they were "acclaimed by Civil Defense". I checked Google for 1956 GMC civil Defense trucks, but no FAPA was found.

-on the side of one of the fapa ambulances, the badging reads "Englewood Volenteer Ambulance Corps". I looked into this lead. The company still exists. They are located in Englewood, New Jersey. I am now going to get in contact with one of the people there and ask them to give me an idea on where their ambulance may have ended up.
image_zpsm0ledhx0.jpeg~original

-There was also a Paddy wagon version of the FAPA sold to the Boton Rouge Fire Dept in Louisiana. I was unable to find out anything about this vehicle.

-There was possibly a FAPA sold in Wenton, West Virginia. I could not make out for sure that the word is actuall Wenton, but it's the closest I have to a location.

-I found this ambulance while trying to find information on the Wenton ambulance. I noticed that it is the same ambulance as in this add. Good to know I guess.
image_zpsrdipvrra.jpeg~original
image_zpsjz4rgymf.jpeg~original

-here is a picture of a white one. It sais "w something disaster service"
image_zpszdshyca9.jpeg~original

-These are just some extra memrobelia for your viewing pleasure
image_zpswlrzowjh.jpeg~original
image_zpsftk0e4sl.jpeg~original
image_zpsioiga60n.jpeg~original

That's all the information that I have at this moment. If you have anything to add, feel free to do so. if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if you have any FAPA locations or vehicles, let us know. I will leave you to it.:beatdeadhorse5:

Lloyd Ray in Iowa had one, but after his death about 5 years ago, everything was liquidated, and the building was broom clean when they were done. From memory, I believe that it originally came from New Jersey. It did have Civil Defense stickers on it, but I don't remember much about them, and he might have put them on, or they might have been original. He was very Civil Defense oriented, and made all of his cars to resemble Civil Defense vehicles, including the 1962 Chevrolet ambulance that I purchased from the estate. Since it wasn't original to the car, I removed them all.

Wva

-One of the adds for FAPA states that they were "acclaimed by Civil Defense". I checked Google for 1956 GMC civil Defense trucks, but no FAPA was found.

-on the side of one of the fapa ambulances, the badging reads "Englewood Volenteer Ambulance Corps". I looked into this lead. The company still exists. They are located in Englewood, New Jersey. I am now going to get in contact with one of the people there and ask them to give me an idea on where their ambulance may have ended up.
image_zpsm0ledhx0.jpeg~original

-There was also a Paddy wagon version of the FAPA sold to the Boton Rouge Fire Dept in Louisiana. I was unable to find out anything about this vehicle.

-There was possibly a FAPA sold in Wenton, West Virginia. I could not make out for sure that the word is actuall Wenton, but it's the closest I have to a location.

-I found this ambulance while trying to find information on the Wenton ambulance. I noticed that it is the same ambulance as in this add. Good to know I guess.
image_zpsrdipvrra.jpeg~original
image_zpsjz4rgymf.jpeg~original

-here is a picture of a white one. It sais "w something disaster service"
image_zpszdshyca9.jpeg~original

-These are just some extra memrobelia for your viewing pleasure
image_zpswlrzowjh.jpeg~original
image_zpsftk0e4sl.jpeg~original
image_zpsioiga60n.jpeg~original

That's all the information that I have at this moment. If you have anything to add, feel free to do so. if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and if you have any FAPA locations or vehicles, let us know. I will leave you to it.:beatdeadhorse5:

There is a Weirton Wva not to far from where I grew up ,it is in the North panhandle of Wva

Lloyd Ray in Iowa had one, but after his death about 5 years ago, everything was liquidated, and the building was broom clean when they were done. From memory, I believe that it originally came from New Jersey. It did have Civil Defense stickers on it, but I don't remember much about them, and he might have put them on, or they might have been original. He was very Civil Defense oriented, and made all of his cars to resemble Civil Defense vehicles, including the 1962 Chevrolet ambulance that I purchased from the estate. Since it wasn't original to the car, I removed them all.

While I too love CD - that truck would've looked far better with the markings it originally had. Looks like from later photos some were removed and only Riverside remained. Very cool wing logo in particular. Not a CD decal to be found.

Mr. Sellick: It seems you are quite set on owning a Christopher - in which case I wish you lots of luck. However, consider the many other makers of truck-based ambulances in the same timeframe. Mine was thought to be a Christopher, but is most likely a Gerstenslager as best as I can tell. And, at least no one has corrected me at least on either assertion! :)

I've attached a few photos of some other GMC/Chevy-chassied ambulances - a few were even for sale this year. Just keep watching Craigslist and eBay and one like it or those neat Travelall's will turn up. Oh - and join the PCS. :)

Attachments

• Chevy.jpg
    Chevy.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,651
  • 63Chevy C30 Christopher Body.jpg
    63Chevy C30 Christopher Body.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,634
  • 64C20.jpg
    64C20.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,530
  • 10991183_662477060565234_6544170299263264381_n.jpg
    10991183_662477060565234_6544170299263264381_n.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,566
  • Monroe Township 1963 Chevrolet.jpg
    Monroe Township 1963 Chevrolet.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,484
The red '63 in the first two photos of Nick's post is a Gerstenslager. This '63, also shown above, is a Kutz (also known as Huntco), manufactured in Trenton, New Jersey. The ambulance was at the '08 meet in Mt. Laurel, NJ.

Attachments

• 63KutzChevyWerfel3 - Copy.jpg
    63KutzChevyWerfel3 - Copy.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 1,557
Kind of funny to me, I guess, but with as much as people get up in arms around here about Ghostbusters cars being the wrong model or year, or eBay auctions with the wrong year or information, now somebody asks about a particular year and model truck and almost everything posted is a completely different body style. Maybe it's just because they're all "trucks", but its kind of like someone asking for leads on a 59 caddy and getting shown a bunch of pictures of 67 caddies.

55-57 Chevy/GMC were the only ones that shared body parts, 58-59 were similar but with quad headlights. After that its a whole different truck. I know the builder might be the same, but not really the same thing.

This was one that surfaced for the first time (for me) in July. Obviously not a Christopher, and not necessarily a former ambulance, but could have been:

ranchpanel.jpg

Here is one I've come across once or twice at auctions. Again not necessarily an ambulance, but I believe at one point someone associated with the truck told me they removed ambulance gear to put a television and seating in the back:

61149_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Auction listing backs this up:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1957-CHEVROLET-CUSTOM-PANEL-TRUCK-61149

Jamie Boles 55? GMC, I don't know the builder, but again not Christopher:

a8a9ad2d-b41f-4422-9469-fcf6.jpg

Best picture I could find of my 57 in near-stock form at the moment. Sorry its so small:

a1775f763b5ffa39202f0517d27bef0f.jpg

I have pictures of a few others, but not handy to post at the moment.

Last edited:
The red '63 in the first two photos of Nick's post is a Gerstenslager. This '63, also shown above, is a Kutz (also known as Huntco), manufactured in Trenton, New Jersey. The ambulance was at the '08 meet in Mt. Laurel, NJ.

The Riverside, NJ truck is most certainly a Christopher RES-Q. Check out: http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=841898305&postcount=9

The lack of the RES-Q badging on the side of mine is what first clued me in to the fact it wasn't a Christopher. Note subtle differences in how Gerstenslager and Christopher made their side door access - vertical on this one and their ads versus horizontal opening on mine and Gerstenslager ads. Still not fully sure on mine - but best guess.

Anyway, it's a nice truck and hope it turns up one day. I've attached two more photos I found while scouring the Internet a few months back on this topic. One's just a better version of the one I posted originally and forgot I had.

Attachments

• RiversideFD Christopher.jpg
    RiversideFD Christopher.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,372
  • Riverside NJ 63 Christopher.jpg
    Riverside NJ 63 Christopher.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,069
Update 29/10/15

Hello to everyone this fine afternoon. I have a little more info to share with you in the hunt for the 1956 GMC Christopher Ambulance. Thanks to everyone who have posted so far. It really helps in the search.

-First of all, Paul Steinburg of the PCS informed us of of the ambulance Lloyd Ray had. He sais that after his death 5 years ago, there was an estate sale, and the ambulance was auctioned off. He also gave us a location, IA. I did more research on Lloyd Ray. Some of you who knew him may know this info, but this is what I Found.
image_zpsokokri64.jpeg~original
Lloyd Ray died Oct 13 2009. He lived at 306 Adrian Ave council Bluffs, IA. He had a wife, Karen Ray, who died shortly after Ray.
image_zpsoktxtqgc.jpeg~original
Ray used to work for the US Postal Service for 35 years. Karen was a nurse aide at North Crest Care centre for 32 years.
image_zpsak3f5mum.jpeg~original
Lloyd and his wife were avid professional car collectors, specializing in vintage ambulances. He had a fascination with civil defence, and branded all his collected vehicles accordingly. Ray still has a son, bob Ray, living out of ****** **********. His address is *** * ******** *** ******,**. I won't post his number due to privacy issues but if you want it, I can give it to you. I gave Bob a ring, but got his answering machine. I left a message 3 days ago, I might call again. I am wondering if Bob May know where the ambulance was sold to. I will keep you posted.

-Second of all, the yellow FAPA I showed previously, I have more info and pictures of it. The ambulance was owned by the Washington Fire co in Conshohocken, PA. The contact info for this fire Dept is 36 west elm street, Conshohocken, PA. Phone number is 610-828-4293. Email is Washies1@washies1.org. According to the fire depts history, the ambulance was used as a rescue truck, and was placed into service in 1958. The fire dept then sold it in 1981 to an unnamed purchaser. I found a picture of the ambulance in their fleet, even though it is not very good.
image_zps9el9dfci.jpeg~original
image_zpszu1dzy2f.jpeg~original
I have not contacted them yet, but I am hoping they may have records eluding to the purchaser of the ambulance. Let's hope.

-in 1956, a gmc Christopher rescue was placed into service with Lansdowne Fire. Was not able to find any pictures. Here is the article with the info http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-1994-05-11/html/CREC-1994-05-11-pt1-PgS55.htm

This is all the new info I could find. Not particularly helpful at the moment, but it's good to know. Keep up the great leads!:beatdeadhorse5:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello to everyone this fine afternoon. I have a little more info to share with you in the hunt for the 1956 GMC Christopher Ambulance. Thanks to everyone who have posted so far. It really helps in the search.

-First of all, Paul Steinburg of the PCS informed us of of the ambulance Lloyd Ray had. He sais that after his death 5 years ago, there was an estate sale, and the ambulance was auctioned off. He also gave us a location, IA. I did more research on Lloyd Ray. Some of you who knew him may know this info, but this is what I Found.
image_zpsokokri64.jpeg~original
Lloyd Ray died Oct 13 2009. He lived at 306 Adrian Ave council Bluffs, IA. He had a wife, Karen Ray, who died shortly after Ray.
image_zpsoktxtqgc.jpeg~original
Ray used to work for the US Postal Service for 35 years. Karen was a nurse aide at North Crest Care centre for 32 years.
image_zpsak3f5mum.jpeg~original
Lloyd and his wife were avid professional car collectors, specializing in vintage ambulances. He had a fascination with civil defence, and branded all his collected vehicles accordingly. Ray still has a son, bob Ray, living out of ****** **********. His address is *** * ******** *** ******,**. I won't post his number due to privacy issues but if you want it, I can give it to you. I gave Bob a ring, but got his answering machine. I left a message 3 days ago, I might call again. I am wondering if Bob May know where the ambulance was sold to. I will keep you posted.

-Second of all, the yellow FAPA I showed previously, I have more info and pictures of it. The ambulance was owned by the Washington Fire co in Conshohocken, PA. The contact info for this fire Dept is 36 west elm street, Conshohocken, PA. Phone number is 610-828-4293. Email is Washies1@washies1.org. According to the fire depts history, the ambulance was used as a rescue truck, and was placed into service in 1958. The fire dept then sold it in 1981 to an unnamed purchaser. I found a picture of the ambulance in their fleet, even though it is not very good.
image_zps9el9dfci.jpeg~original
image_zpszu1dzy2f.jpeg~original
I have not contacted them yet, but I am hoping they may have records eluding to the purchaser of the ambulance. Let's hope.

-in 1956, a gmc Christopher rescue was placed into service with Lansdowne Fire. Was not able to find any pictures. Here is the article with the info http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CREC-1994-05-11/html/CREC-1994-05-11-pt1-PgS55.htm

This is all the new info I could find. Not particularly helpful at the moment, but it's good to know. Keep up the great leads!:beatdeadhorse5:

Im the one that took the picture of him and Karen you posted. The Christopher he had was a 1963. Pretty sure Bob has no idea where the ambulance went, as Karens Niece is the one that took over and sold everything, and good luck dealing with her. As far as I know it was the shop that was working on the Christopher when Lloyd died is who put it up on Ebay. I do know the name of the shop.
He sure was a great guy and collector, hung out with him many times at his house. His funeral was a sad day. Unfortunately, we missed the funeral of Karen just months later.

Last edited:
I was looking at this post and have a correction. In your post you mentioned BOb being Lloyds son, it is not, its his brother. Lloyd (or Karen) never had any children.

Good morning. Giving a quick update on the picture/info search. This info is not particularly helpful but kind of cool. Someone took the model I made of the 1955 and put in in a video game as a mod. Here is a picture.
_mmd__ambulance_dl_by_onimau619-d9eu6wx.png

other then the scale being off it added class. that christopher is a very big rig a lot taller then the boxes and just as wide

Possible lead on another 1955 Christopher. I was searching through Google for gmc Carryalls and clicked on one. The site it brought me to had lots of professional car pictures based off of Carryalls. During my exploration of the site, I found this picture.
image_zps77ljphnn.png
The image was posted by a fellow called Dan Boudreau. I emailed him with some questions and possible wearabouts. We will see if it provides any new leads.
image_zpsmaqbosh5.png
image_zpsh3sduyfu.png
If you want to see the actual site, here is the link https://www.flickr.com/photos/dieselphoto/5169524258/sizes/l/

The search continues...:beatdeadhorse5:

Back