Horse Drawn Hearse I.D.

This is owned by same guy I got the 37 lasalle from and I am trying to figure out who made it and how old it is. He also wants to sell it.

Attachments

• 083.jpg
    083.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 342
  • 073.jpg
    073.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 327
My best guess would be to contact any one that does old coach restorations like stage coach covered wagons and see if they can help with any info. Im sure any one that does that kind of work would either have some knowledge on those old hearses or would at least be able to point you in the rite direction. I will ask my family if they know anyone that can help. I plan on getting one one day myself.

These vehicles are extremely difficult to identify. There may be a builders plate attached to the body somewhere or a name on the wheel hubs. Otherwise, as all coachbuilders followed the prevailing styling trends of any particular era, it's hard if, not impossible to nail down just who built such a unit with ou finding a nameplate or literature that shows exact matches. Sorry about that.

These vehicles are extremely difficult to identify. There may be a builders plate attached to the body somewhere or a name on the wheel hubs. Otherwise, as all coachbuilders followed the prevailing styling trends of any particular era, it's hard if, not impossible to nail down just who built such a unit with ou finding a nameplate or literature that shows exact matches. Sorry about that.

Small tag on back of hearse with Geeslin and Son of Phil. Pa. but if that was funeral home name they are not there anymore but could be coach builder?

that most likly is the builder. there were so many small time coachbuilders as that kind of work was common skills back in them there days. a small brass tag is what they used. i only have one picture of one. would the tag look something like this

Attachments

• 1905 horse drawn builders plack.jpg
    1905 horse drawn builders plack.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 244
George Brownell, out of New Bedford, I worked for the City of New Bedford as a Paramedic Supervisor Part Time. New Bedford or the whaling city is about a half hour from me . My old boss was big into the city's history, he may have some info.

Small tag on back of hearse with Geeslin and Son of Phil. Pa. but if that was funeral home name they are not there anymore but could be coach builder?

Could it be Glesenkamp & Son? They were major coachbuilders in the area and, at one time, one of the major builders of horse-drawn ambulances and funeral cars.

Are you sure that doesn't say A. Geissel and Sons??? I bet that's it. They were a very well known coachbuilder from Philadelphia.

Back