Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:16 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Its a old coach it has electrical issues. The dome lights function by switching the ground. So if it has a hot panel it is a short most likely the rocker switch if playing around with it got it to work but a loose wire is just as likely. Got to look and see not just guess.
Agree. Wires popped loose in the switch panel in my 1963 Pinner-Chrysler somewhere during the 500 mile round-trip drive it did to the Houston meet in 2015. I kept wondering why the fuses to the flasher kept popping for a couple days until I finally took it apart.

Don't risk a fire! Check it out.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:51 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,378 Times in 3,714 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

That Chrysler had electrical gremlins from the day it was manufactured. I chased every wire till I found and corrected each of them all. There was one wire that was cut, so I reattached the ends, and then the interior lights wouldn't go off at all. I searched as far as possible, but in the end, I disconnected the wire and decided that it was miss wired at the factory.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:39 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 4,914 Times in 2,284 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

There's your problem Nick........... Paul "fixed" it!

Lol
1990 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign End-Loader
1988 Eureka Cadillac Concours Landaulet End-Loader
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Paul Steinberg  (05-16-2018), Richard Vyse (Yesterday)
Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Website Member

Will give it a look.

I am hoping this weekend to coat the top using the method in this thread:
http://www.professionalcarsociety.or...ead.php?t=9879
Old 05-16-2018, 03:09 PM
Website Member

Well yesterday I got up and realized I left the passenger vent window open overnight and it had rained, so I got rain all over the passenger side floor. More than a little upset at myself for that, but whats done is done. I soaked up 2 beach towels worth of water and once I got it mostly dried I laid another towel down across the floor to soak up any more. Unfortunately there seems to be a chance of rain for the next several days, so I cant really crack open the windows to let things evaporate without fear of more rain.

Aside from that mishap, I plan on rolling on the 50/50 rustoleum and acetone coat this Saturday, already have all the supplies ready to go. i may try to start applying my masking tape and frog tape tomorrow and friday though to reduce my setup time.

I assume I want to wash the crinkle paint first, but im afraid of chipping off the crinkle paint when washing it. Any particular recommendations for giving this a quick wash before painting? Common sense tells me to get some water on it and run a cloth over it very gently since this crinkle paint is not exactly glossy.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:14 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,013 Times in 5,919 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Soft bush light soap and rinse with open hose. But do days befor. As the paint will suck up water like a sponge. You want to dry to the base before you coat it. Best done on a sunny hot day.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:16 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
Soft bush light soap and rinse with open hose. But do days befor. As the paint will suck up water like a sponge. You want to dry to the base before you coat it. Best done on a sunny hot day.
Thanks, I did just this yesterday evening so it has time to dry by saturday. I have removed the landau bars, but I could not get the side panels off (that the crosses mounted to). On each one there was a screw that was completely loose but would not come out. I'm guessing some stripped threads or something. Spent a long time pulling it with a flathead while turning but eventually decided I would have to paint around it.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
Website Member

I got it painted Saturday and it does look a bit better, although I did get it a little too thick in places on the top. I did have a major mishap during the painting. Originally I had the paint tray on top of the coach so I wouldnt be lifting a paint soaked roller over the body. Worked fine for awhile until I went to refill the tray and put it back up top. I didnt get it quite high up enough and it slid off the roof and all over the front of my wifes Subaru Impreza, all over the driveway, and also a bit on the body of the hearse.

Thankfully I was able to get it all cleaned off the vehicles without damaging any existing paint. I still need to clean off one of my wife's rims, and the driveway is proving difficult. I poured stripper on the driveway, then an hour later scraped up the goo and hosed it off. Helped a little bit I need to do it several more times.

Aside from all that here are the post-paint pictures (on the last one you can see the driveway paint):
Attached Images

Kent Dorsey (Yesterday), Richard Vyse (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM
Website Member

Also a lesson I learned: always move the OTHER cars out of the driveway before painting...
Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,013 Times in 5,919 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

you only make that mistake once. Next time use a bush and a coffee can. My guess is the light spots are were the material got absorbed into the top. That paint they used was put on thick over bare metal. It will soak up like a sponge. The rustoliem takes a month to dry. If it doesn't even out by then recoat it. But it is a day and night difference in appearance. Don't worry about the drive way it will ware off.