still looking, keeping my head up though....

Am I looking in the wrong places? I check craigslist/ebay/hemmings/google/here. Is there some place I am missing other than driving out west?

I am still looking for a later 50s/early 60s cadillac ambulance. Dont get me wrong I can find them but they are either sold the day before or WAY out of my price range.

1st I went to look at a 60 pontiac, but I just couldnt see myself with antyhing but a caddy

So I thought I had this great lead on a 56 ambulance/hearse combo....now the guy is not sure if he wants to sell

then I am told a "buddy" of a "buddy" might have a barn find one (great) only to have that go nowhere

Now I am onto a 59 limo, but am going back and forth because its not an actual ambulance.

I know 2 years is nothing to look for "the right" car, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Now I am onto a 59 limo, but am going back and forth because its not an actual ambulance.

Not an actual ambulance? That's not even sort of an ambulance.

I knew what I wanted when I was 11 years old and Brady Smith let me look over his 1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Landau Hearse. I finally got one when I was 38 yeas old. Believe me, it is worth waiting to get the RIGHT one.

Not an actual ambulance? That's not even sort of an ambulance.

I knew what I wanted when I was 11 years old and Brady Smith let me look over his 1972 S&S Cadillac Victoria Landau Hearse. I finally got one when I was 38 yeas old. Believe me, it is worth waiting to get the RIGHT one.

I know but I have a soft spot for the 59, and worst case would at least give me something ot do until I found one :)

You are missing out on one of the best avenues to finding what you want. You should be putting an ad in The Professional Car which goes to over 1000 professional car society members. I found my 1963 Pinner Chrysler, 1962 C/B Chevrolet, and the 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance with leads and the help of Society members. I have also helped other Society members get their cars, both directly and indirectly. Members helping other members is what we are all about. Membership has its privilages.

You are missing out on one of the best avenues to finding what you want. You should be putting an ad in The Professional Car which goes to over 1000 professional car society members. I found my 1963 Pinner Chrysler, 1962 C/B Chevrolet, and the 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance with leads and the help of Society members. I have also helped other Society members get their cars, both directly and indirectly. Members helping other members is what we are all about. Membership has its privilages.

maybe I will try that route, I cannot lie I feel akward becoming a member if I dont have a car :/

yes it does help to be with a group. but if there were one of these cars on every lot who would want one. you never find a car when you can afford one,
that is until you buy one. then the one of your dreams is right there next door. cheap to, but you spent all your money and now you can't sell the one you have so you can get it. welcome to the world of old car collection.

yes it does help to be with a group. but if there were one of these cars on every lot who would want one. you never find a car when you can afford one,
that is until you buy one. then the one of your dreams is right there next door. cheap to, but you spent all your money and now you can't sell the one you have so you can get it. welcome to the world of old car collection.

I hear ya on that one. I need more hands in order to count how many cars I have owned so far. I always seem to have a backup plan (car I could get rid of) if need be. Between my husband and I we have 6 right now, would like to downsize to 4 but in no rush to do that

I have wanted a hearse since I was 18....I just bought my first one this fall ..I'm 52 now. it may not be an "oldie" but she is a solid one. .....a good start.

maybe I will try that route, I cannot lie I feel akward becoming a member if I dont have a car :/
Donna, please don't feel like you can't be a member of PCS if you don't have a car. You can, and you should. All you need is interest (and a check for dues). You can still hang out with us and see and learn about ambulances. This is a great place to find a car. And be patient, it does take time to find just the "right one".

Oh, and come to the International Meet in Ohio in July, you'll have a blast and see all the ambulances and other pro-cars there. Ya never know, you might go home with one.

I was a member before I found my 1963 Cadillac Hightop ambulance. I found it on e-bay, the seller was a member of the PCS. When I got her home the people in this club have been a huge help with the restoration.

I didn't have a car either when I joined. I think one of the reasons that I joined this site was to gain the knowledge I needed to make an informed decision about what car to buy. The people on this site are great, just ask them, LOL. I had a lot of help from these folks when I finally found my car. They gave me really good advice and support and helped me realize that I was making the right decision for me. :1:

No car here either- I was always partial to 60's Pontiacs. My first ride in a Pro car was in a white 56 Cadillac ambulance at age 7 (friends of ours ran a funeral home and ambulance service in Cleveland) Made a real impression.
Lots of irons in the fire right now with 2 children in college, but, when its my turn...........

I was a member before I found my 1963 Cadillac Hightop ambulance. I found it on e-bay, the seller was a member of the PCS. When I got her home the people in this club have been a huge help with the restoration.

I didn't have a car either when I joined. I think one of the reasons that I joined this site was to gain the knowledge I needed to make an informed decision about what car to buy. The people on this site are great, just ask them, LOL. I had a lot of help from these folks when I finally found my car. They gave me really good advice and support and helped me realize that I was making the right decision for me. :1:

It has been my pleasure helping you spend your money... :rofl1:

You are missing out on one of the best avenues to finding what you want. You should be putting an ad in The Professional Car which goes to over 1000 professional car society members. I found my 1963 Pinner Chrysler, 1962 C/B Chevrolet, and the 1969 Miller Meteor Cadillac ambulance with leads and the help of Society members. I have also helped other Society members get their cars, both directly and indirectly. Members helping other members is what we are all about. Membership has its privileges.

Go ahead and join up, Donna. I was a PCS member for many years before I was able to get my own professional car. If it weren't for having friends who encouraged the hobby, and purchase of my own vehicle, I may not be involved today. Like in Kevin's case, if you have your mind made up about the specific car or cars that you desire, eventually the right ones will come along.

Like many other areas of life, some things are about what you know, lots of other things are about who you know. Many of us here all agree that our PCS friends have provided priceless information, leads on parts, cars, etc., and most of all - great friendship. :thumbsup:

Two things I recommend highly...

JOIN the PCS ! ...and make sure you attend the PCS Meet in OHIO !

You will never regret either ! ...if anything, you will be thrilled you did !

As for finding the right car... that could take a while.
I waited 14 years and it took more money than I have ever spent on any one thing to get it.

Finding a car that requires a restoration isn't always the best thing as it will likely cost a lot more money than finding one in decent condition that drives.
If you can do the body and mechanical work yourself, not sending it out, that will help a lot but PROJECTS are not for the average person.

Also make sure it doesn't need much in the way of parts. Buy a complete car with all the trim and hearse/ambulance specific parts attached.
A new paint job or tires are easy but finding procar parts are harder and more expensive than stock parts.

Sometimes its better to wait until you can spend a little more up front than taking on a restoration.

Rocky is a good example of someone that can do the work himself.
From the jobs he has shared with us here... he the room, tools, know-how and experience.

Most of all, never give up and everything will happen !
Good luck in your search !
Darren

Membership is the only way to go. Paul was the guiding force in my seach for an ambulance and even had the help of PCS member Chief Ron Devies. Another PCS member knew I was looking for a Criterion and when a thread came up about one for sale, I was contacted ASAP.

Give it a try....

Back