1973 Cadillac Miller Meteor Hearse 3 way

This car has been mis-identified. It is not a three-way but, is fitted with one of the finest extension tables ever devised for end-loading funeral cars - the Miller-Meteor ExTend Table.

what always amuses me is how the person wants to recover the money they sunk into it. big idams are there looks like the speaker wall in back were built up in front of the wheel wells. it would need striped and painted. there quicky paint is falling off. now if they just kept the trim pads whole and covered over them you might be able to have a car to be proud of there. it almost looks like a advertising car. some one selling sod systems would run around to car shows.

what always amuses me is how the person wants to recover the money they sunk into it. big idams are there looks like the speaker wall in back were built up in front of the wheel wells. it would need striped and painted. there quicky paint is falling off. now if they just kept the trim pads whole and covered over them you might be able to have a car to be proud of there. it almost looks like a advertising car. some one selling sod systems would run around to car shows.

Hi there. I'm the fella selling that particular 73. It's not a 3 way, as this listing states. It's in fact a rear slide table car.

Would like to politely clear a few things up here. I'm not trying to recover money invested in it, as I did not build this car the way it sits now and have done relatively little to it over the 9 years of ownership.

I will be up front in that I am intending to make back the initial purchase price and make a profit over that if all goes well, which it seems to be.

It's entire history is clearly outlined in the ad and warrants a read. At almost 2000 words, it should answer any questions anyone would have about it. I was very descriptive.

The amps are built into the divider that would normally house the spare tire behind the drivers seat. It was opened up to face the other direction and all of the electronics are in the area behind the drivers seat behind a nice snap on velour cover.

should someone want to put this car back to stock to suit their tastes, it would take a set of door panels, removing the stereo boxes from the rear, and covering up the amp enclosure's casket floor facing front. All things considered, not that much work, other than sourcing original door panels or having them made. The door top plates are the stock pieces, just recovered to match the bench seat, so you would simply need to fabricate the vertical door cards.

You are correct, this is in fact, an advertising car. It was built for a local radio station and their haunted house that they ran for years. It was a Portland Oregon staple in October. Again, this is all very clearly outlined in the listing.

If you have any other questions about the car, I'd be happy to answer them here to save you the time of reading a extensively detailed ebay listing. :)

I understand that this car is not the typical PCS members cup of tea, hence why I didn't list it here myself, but the amount of public facing good will this car has engendered in the public, especially the younger generation, is something that I am rather proud of. I've never in person had a single person say a single negative thing about it.

If we want a younger generation than ourselves to be interested in our hobby, and to take it up as we fall away, then we should perhaps be open to expressing our interest in this automotive fandom in different ways.

Thanks for looking at the ad, and happy motoring!

~J

Jay

The car came that way, and you are selling it that way.
End of story really.

Thanks for taking the time to write out the facts.

You will never please everyone.

This isn't the first car to be customized and will not be the last !!!!!

People have to realize that when these cars are in rough condition, they are not worth bringing them back to original.

Why would anyone in their right mind spend 20,000.00 to restore a car to original when it would still only be worth 6,000.00

Do what it takes to get it running, driving and back road worthy.
Customize it to make it "yours" within reason and enjoy it.

Hopefully at some point before it is total gone, it becomes a donor parts car for another car that needs parts that are hard to find for these unique custom built cars.

It is truly a shame that so many of these cars go to the crusher with so many usable parts. That to me is worse than someone fixing up a car and driving it for a few years before parting it out.

I hope you enjoyed it while you had it and the next person does too.

Darren

:thumbsup:

I hope you enjoyed it while you had it and the next person does too.

Darren

I absolutely did, and I hope the next person will enjoy it as much as I have. I honestly wouldn't be sellin' it if I could move it with me. It's a heck of a fun car and would be a big hit for sure where I'm moving to.

I'll sure miss that sound system. Was out listening to one last time yesterday. Man that thing sure sounds nice. Clear, great tone, outstanding low end.

Thanks for the encouraging words :)

This car has been mis-identified. It is not a three-way but, is fitted with one of the finest extension tables ever devised for end-loading funeral cars - the Miller-Meteor ExTend Table.

I have never owned a hearse with an extending table.... curious, what makes for a good one? What are things to look for? Thanks

I have never owned a hearse with an extending table.... curious, what makes for a good one? What are things to look for? Thanks

I'm a little curious about this as well. I've only had this one. The rest of my rigs have been ambulances or three way cars. The table works great, is heavy duty, the latch works and the table does not rock at all. I bet the unit is pretty heavy just by itself. I actually would like if it came out another foot and a half or so, but it sure does seem like a well built and well functioning part of the car, the thumb latch release is in the right spot if you're right handed to just click it and slide it out. A simple to use design. I imagine they used that same table in a lot of their cars over the years. No reason to change something that works well.

A "good one" is one that slides in and out easily with in particularly important. Poor ones will droop when fully extended embarrassing to the FD to tell pall bearers to lift up a bit so we can slide it back in. The good part of having one is the ease of loading with senior pall bearers (not strong) they merely walk up with the casket on either side of the table and set it down no getting it in a door opening.

Table

A "good one" is one that slides in and out easily with in particularly important. Poor ones will droop when fully extended embarrassing to the FD to tell pall bearers to lift up a bit so we can slide it back in. The good part of having one is the ease of loading with senior pall bearers (not strong) they merely walk up with the casket on either side of the table and set it down no getting it in a door opening.

I have a complete one out of a 72 M-M and the whole unit is extremely well built .

just wondering why you would think showing off will modified examples of this style of car would motivate the younger crowd to join our club and do what Darren thinks is something only a insane man would do? by the way I resemble that remark and I have papers to prove it.;)

but if you think one can do this kind of modification to a car cheap then sell it high you might be a french fri or two shy of your happy meal.

most modified cars go cheap there are exceptions, but most never bring half the money invested. unlike a 59 hearse with people standing around willing to sell there house for it. most people are not interested in owning something some one else did. unless it's stock.

wish you luck with you sale glad my guess was correct.

Hearse had to be re-listed despite closing in a won state.

Apparently, the buyer with zero feedback or purchases on his account "didn't expect to win" and had no way to transport, store, or otherwise make use of the car.

Somewhat suspicious of the auction, since right as it closed another person with a real account contacted me and offered me significantly less for the car, and was located in the same area of California as the first failed buyer.

Probably coincidence, but fishy. Seems like someone was trying to avoid some fees and get it cheaper.

At any rate, it's listed again. See how this goes.

Ed

Not sure exactly what you said in your last post but here is an example of bring younger people into the club.

Back in 1993 when Tom McPherson saw my 1968 Hearse at a car cruise and told me about the PCS, it changed my life.

My car was stock at the time and I was half my age I am now.

My car was decent but far from what I saw at the first meet I attended later that summer. Gleaming paint, bright perfect chrome, perfect interiors, etc was what I saw at the PCS meet in Chatham ON.

I saw Tom Hocyzks 1960 S/S Victoria, Rick Stockelburgs 1960 MM Futura, a guys 1961 from Ohio, and many other cars that where OUTSTANDING in my opinion. Llyod Needhams '41 was just out of the restoration shop. Lyle Stedmans 1959 Superior with 25,000 original miles was there.

I was like a kid in a candy store ! I had never seen cars like those before and in such good condition. I was hooked !
I was inspired to own cars like those in the future. Likely far in the future as I didn't have that kind of money to spend on a car.

Coming from the Halloween side of things, listening to Alice Cooper, watching the Munsters and Addams Family, I could have easily been a guy who ghouled up my hearse.

I didn't, I went with the PCS values and always kept my cars stock.

I have put a coffin in them and used them for Halloween and will again.

The point is, just because a person doesn't own a perfect car or something in show condition doesn't mean they won't own a much better or completely stock car in the future as funds permit.

If a car needs a bunch of work and isn't worth putting the money in or you start with a car altered by someone else as your first car because it is all you can afford at the time or you just like it that way doesn't mean you won't ever get a incredible condition original car.

If some young guy buys this mild altered car, mainly the stereo being the alterations, he may become a PCS member and later on have a stock car.

Maybe the new owner will be a music teacher or musician who loves music and car and the combo works perfect for them. Maybe they will be someone who buys it and redoes the interior to stock because they love the car.

I think it is better to buy the car and use it as is vs buying it and making it stock again.

I think it is best to buy one stock if you can afford it and can find one vs buying a altered car and converting it back. Sometimes the cars are too far modified to bring them back and would likely cost way to much to be worth doing it.

I personally think the PCS is shutting out potential future members who would be all for a stock car if and when they can afford one.
Right now they may only have a beater or a altered car but the PCS puts a bad taste in their mouths and shuns them away.

I came from the other side but totally agree with the PCS views and my cars show that being fully stock.

I also know some people with lower end cars and some needing a lot of work. I know people with flames and mag wheels on their cars. Some of the cars are in incredible condition. Some have both versions of cars, stock and custom.

I get along with everyone no matter what kind of car they have and always will.

Thats because I was the kid with the not so perfect car and then a guy with some real nice cars.

It took me about 20 years to acquire a hand full of cars and I am super proud to finally own cars like I first saw in 1993. Those cars inspired me to work hard to be able to own a dream of mine.

So everyone should take a step back on the altered, custom or rough cars and the reasoning behind them and hope that one day those people become PCS members and own a fully stock car when they can or at least learn the values of the PCS and see the benefits and value of having a stock car.

This car was altered by a previous owner, enjoyed by them, sold to the current owner and enjoyed by him and will be sold and enjoyed by the next owner. Nothing wrong with that !

I can't see why the PCS wouldn't want them as a member.
Maybe after seeing the incredible cars the PCS own, they will want a all stock car and become a longtime member.

Kinda sounds like my story in a small way.

I'm cool with a set of wheels and a stereo !

Dwayne did it many time and converted them back to sell them.

To each their own and a little understanding would go a long way.

No disrespect intended in any way with my post above. Just a view from both sides is my intent.

Darren

I totally agree with you Darren.

Good example: As some of you know, I also own several Imperials and I have loved Imperials since I first laid eyes on one as a teen-ager. Imperials, 1964 and newer, have long been a favorite car for many people that drive in demolition derbies as they are nearly indestructible. Many of the biggest collectors/lovers of vintage Imperials today started out as demolition derby drivers back in the day. I drove a '74 Imperial 2-door hardtop in a demolition derby myself when the car was only 9 years old! I, like many other Imperial collectors(and former demolition derby drivers), would never dream of destroying any Imperial in this manner today.

It is only through education and involvement in groups like the PCS (or the Imperial Mailing List and Walter P. Chrysler Clubs), that people expand their knowledge of these rare vehicles and modify their thinking.

you can tweak a interest with any car. but like you said it was attending your first meet and seeing a cars restored that made you want to keep them unaltered. my point was showing off t bucket rosters to people won't make them want to get a stock T and keep it that way. there are so many fascists of the hobby that each person has to find there own way. some people have to alter a car even if it's just put a set of wheels on a rust bucket. but out niche of the hobby has been one that has only just nnow gained a little acceptance in the mainstream. we are now not considered odd ball creeps and welcomed to attend. as we are a, as modified by a different manufacture group.

this car would be welcomed, it just would not score high at our meet just as anyone of my cars only get a glance and the locale meets here. a lot of look over, but hey did you see the 54 over there kind of stuff. I except that. but it seems that the altered crowd can't except that at our show there altered car doesn't get the attention they think it deserves. with all the wonderful things they have done to it. the rodder crowd has been all over it. what is wrong with all these fuddy duddys. the goth crown can't understand why they are asked to remove the toe pincher with at cob web skeleton that pops out singing. hay it took him a lot of time and money to get that to work just right and these stuff shirt guys want me to remove it and all the other neat stuff. the h with them.

so when you say seeing a altered car might bring them to our club I wonder how you think that? I understand what you mean now that getting younger people involved in the car hobby those, that like what we do will be able to move in our direction. I agree with that. then there is the a foot in both camps people. I like to think I'm one of them I enjoy a rod I would like to have one but I'm two busy rebuilding pro cars to build one. but I like them. the right one come along when the pocket has enough I"ll have one. sitting right next to my GEO

Between my father and I we've owned a lot of stock and modified cars. There's currently a 56 Superior 3 way, 56 Superior roller deck car, and 64 high top Miller ambulance parked in the weeds out back. all stock, all in need of a lot.

I've lost count of how many 70's and 80's hearses and ambulances we've owned, or rescued from behind barns or impound lots.

I drove my stock but rough 60 superior around quite a bit, and it never got near the attention that this car does.

The first thing most buyers of any vehicle do, is put in a better stereo. Not change the oil, buy new wiper blades for it wash and wax it, they put in a stereo because they enjoy music and could often care about nothing else. Hey, to each their own, that's normally what I end up removing is hacked in stereos. This car never had it removed because it's a top notch install and has held up well over time.

It's sort of a situation of there not being such a thing as bad publicity. As the saying goes "A rising tide lifts all ships". If people see this car, think it's cool, they are made more aware of other ones. The number of people I've politely educated about what the ghostbusters car is, and that no, my 73 is in fact not anything like that other than being long and heavy, is a rather large number. People are generally happy to learn stuff they didn't know.

I don't know if anyone else does this, but when ever our hearse club had the cars out at shows (of which we went to many of) the people would let kids sit behind the wheel, or take pictures with the car, or in it. They love it. They don't care that the car has the correct hubcap emblems. The only people that care about that really, are the owners or detail oriented club members.

I used to be a member of PCS. I am not now, and do not see being one in the future. I can think of better ways to spend my money than always having someone nitpick my cars, tell me I'm doing it wrong, or generally set out to make me feel bad about something I enjoy.

The PCS has a reputation, and it has been well earned by the more vocal and negative members. What they are standing up for is not wrong, they love their cars done to a T, and are a vast and useful source of knowledge.

Unfortunately, they're negative about everything that does not fit their ideal criteria and that is incredibly off putting. It's like reading youtube comments, except it's about something I own and care about.

I've noticed that the trend is far more obnoxious online. At a show, people are generally really friendly, and easy going, and I like to think that they are actually that way despite how their online front may appear. They don't license test for using a keyboard after all, so anyone can peck out their mind on message boards.

In all honesty, PCS is one of the reasons I have gotten out of hearses. Perhaps it has changed over time. I'm having a great time poking conversations here and there lately, but once the hearses and ambulances I and my father own are sold off, I do not foresee coming back here unless it's for some specific query, nor do I intend to go out of my way to buy, fix, or save any hearse or ambulance I see sitting around. I think that's rather sad, really, but it's to the point where after enough time and browbeating I've decided it's best to move on with my interests.

Of course, that said, not having the space to park a bunch of 21ft long cars could also have a lot to do with it.

I have a lot of respect for people putting together correct and restored cars and PCS does a lot of wonderful things for the hobby, is a huge source of info, and has a lot of great people involved in it, but the folks that don't understand you can have differing opinions without being negative or belaboring your disdain is much higher than it should be.

Jay

Sad to hear you are likely not going to be owning a hearse in the future.

Super sad to hear it is likely due to some PCS people being very negative.

This is what they need to read and hear.

Like I wrote earlier in this thread about some PCS members not seeing both sides or all angles to hearse ownership.

Retaining and adding new members is always a goal.

Sounds like a reoccurring comment that needs to be investigated more for sure.

Your posts have been well written and without any negativity.

Hopefully others in the club read this thread and really take a step back and realize this is a true issue in the club.

Not for everyone I have to say. I know I'm not that way but it has to be a fact as it has been said before and likely will be again.

Thanks for your comments and I hope others are listening.
Really sad to hear for me, hopefully others as well.
There needs to be some changes. I hope they are coming.

Like with any group, it is never ALL, just some that spoil it for the rest.

Darren

Back